Xenix for Altos 886 (antique)

Oliver Hartmann

Feb 3, 1995, 3:07:11 AM2/3/95

Hello.

I have an old ALTOS 886 XENIX system with a built in DC600A tapedrive.
I'm looking for a tape cardridge with XENIX because I crashed the machine
and lost the installed XENIX system.
Can anybody help?

Best wishes,
Oliver Hartmann

ohar...@orville.zdv.uni-mainz.de

Raj Rijhwani

Feb 5, 1995, 5:44:11 PM2/5/95
In article <3gso7f$7...@bambi.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE>
ohar...@orville.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE "Oliver Hartmann" writes:

> I have an old ALTOS 886 XENIX system with a built in DC600A tapedrive.
> I'm looking for a tape cardridge with XENIX because I crashed the machine
> and lost the installed XENIX system.
> Can anybody help?

I'm not sure you CAN boot it from cartridge drive. Certainly my 886 came
with a set of 5 1/4" floppies with the raw system on. In fact I have nothing
for the machine BUT the base O/S.

If I can duplicate a working set of disks, could you use them?

(Can anyone tell me if there are likely to be any outstanding copyright
on what is for all intents and purposes an obsolete machine?)
--
Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
g...@raines.demon.co.uk | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

mber...@nexgenerationcentral.com

Apr 29, 2013, 11:25:15 AM4/29/13
Do you still have your 886??? I collect the Altos computers.. I have 2 -586's and one was upgraded to a 1086 and also an 886 but my power supply is bad.. I would be willing to purchase it if you want to part with it..

Matt (mber...@csasp.org)