Creating widgets from resource file

Fhulu Lidzhade

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
Hi all,

I would like to use a resource file to create my application's widgets.
Being new to motif programming I find sizing, aligning and setting other
properties of a widget quite a bit of a repetitive and tedious task when you
have many widgets to work with.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Fhulu Lidzhade

Anton Hartl

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

Use Wcl. Should be available in any decent X11 archive.

-Toni

--
/dev Software Gmbh | Anton Hartl | Dumbo: You're an unusual cop.
Gabelsbergerstr. 51 | Phone: +49 (0)89-28659843 | Mickey Mouse: You're an unusal

Karsten Spang

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
to Fhulu Lidzhade
Fhulu Lidzhade wrote:
> I would like to use a resource file to create my application's widgets.
> Being new to motif programming I find sizing, aligning and setting other
> properties of a widget quite a bit of a repetitive and tedious task when you
> have many widgets to work with.
>
> Any ideas on how to do this?

Try the Xmt library. It is described in David Flanagan:
Motif Tools: Streamlined GUI Design and Programming with the Xmt Library
from O'Reilly.

The library itself is available from ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/xbook/Xmt/
It is shareware. Buying the book gives you one license.

Karsten
--
Karsten Spang
Senior Software Developer, Ph.D.

Randy Crawford

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Anton Hartl wrote:

> In article <37b3c...@news1.mweb.co.za>, Fhulu Lidzhade wrote:
>
> >I would like to use a resource file to create my application's widgets.
> >Being new to motif programming I find sizing, aligning and setting other
> >properties of a widget quite a bit of a repetitive and tedious task when you
> >have many widgets to work with.
> >
> >Any ideas on how to do this?
>
> Use Wcl. Should be available in any decent X11 archive.
>
> -Toni

I second Wcl. Also look into Motif's UIL, in case Motif already
can do what you have in mind.

--
Randy Crawford
crw...@umich.edu

ken...@nojunk.rahul.net-

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <37BB044C...@engin.umich.edu>,

Randy Crawford <crw...@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>I second Wcl. Also look into Motif's UIL, in case Motif already
>can do what you have in mind.

WCL used to bill itself as the "poor man's UIL". I don't think it's
maintained any more, though.
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

Dusan Peterc

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
Hi there

ken...@nojunk.rahul.net- wrote:

> In article <37BB044C...@engin.umich.edu>,
> Randy Crawford <crw...@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> >I second Wcl. Also look into Motif's UIL, in case Motif already
> >can do what you have in mind.
>
> WCL used to bill itself as the "poor man's UIL". I don't think it's
> maintained any more, though.

Wow, there are still people out there using WCL!
So I am not alone in the universe. What a warm feeling.
The latest WCL version I know of is 2.7, and it dates back to November
1994.
In the last 6 years, I've never had a problem with it.
Even more - I started using it on OSF/Motif 1.2 on USL UnixWare 1.0,
and now I am on OSF/Motif 2.1.10 on SuSE Linux 6.1. And I can actually
use WCL
to specify those two or three resources that are new in Motif 2.1
I only wish WCL would be easier to compile, but once you do it,
you get a nice 76KB shared library, and you can forget about it - just
use it.
And it does not stop here - I am also using XmHTML; all that was
necessary
is one line of C code to teach WCL of XmCreateHTML.
See a related thread where no-one seems to have an easy answer on
how to integrate XmHTML into UIL.

I have also used UIL back in stone ages, and UIL is a stone age tool -
static and needs to be compiled! Valid reasons to use UIL are:
a) the boss, who does not do any programming, has decided it
b) your interface builder writes inefficient code for it
c) its' crap, but is part of THE STANDARD

I do not see why WCL would be poor man's UIL - you already
have UIL if you have Motif, so it is not a question of price.
WCL's resource files are very compact with respect to UIL, and
also much more powerful - try late binding in UIL.

As for the fact that "WCL is dead" - I wish David E. Smyth would still
work on it and make a new release sometimes, it just do not know what
more should it contain (other than easier installation and better
documentation).

And it seems, that XmHTML is also not too well lately; it will soon
be one year since the last release. In XmHTML's case I still have wishes

for improvements. But not the time and knowledge to do them myself.
I guess eternal fame and gratitude of of users worldwide do not pay the
rent.
Maybe Free Software Evangelists have a "business model" to propose?
It seems that most, even high quality free projects, represent a phase
in
author's life, and we can not expect them to churn out free code
forever.
In any case, many thanks to everyone that did.

Dusan Peterc