Obtaining the UNIX Magic Poster

Tom Lowe

Oct 20, 1987, 11:49:02 AM10/20/87
I called Unitech at 1-703-264-3301 and the girl who answered the
phone very nicely told me that she would send me a form with which I
could order the poster for $7.00.

p.s. the phone number previously posted by someone had been changed.
--
Tom Lowe {rutgers,gatech,huscb,burdvax,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!moby!tel
AT&T National Systems Support Center, S. Plainfield, NJ (1-800-922-0354)

Eric Herrin

Oct 21, 1987, 8:48:09 AM10/21/87
hmm... I called the posted number and a machine answered, telling me
a new number. Upon calling the new number, the guy told me he would send
me a questionaire and I would receive a free UNIX Magic Poster when I
filled it out.

eric

--
| Eric Herrin II cbosgd!ukma!eric |
| "'tis better to be silent er...@UKMA.BITNET |

Bruce G Barnett

Oct 21, 1987, 12:05:11 PM10/21/87
In article <2...@Ahab.moby.UUCP> t...@moby.UUCP (Tom Lowe) writes:
|I called Unitech at 1-703-264-3301 and the girl who answered the
|phone very nicely told me that she would send me a form with which I
|could order the poster for $7.00.

If you qualify, and fill out a marketing survey, you can get the
UNIX poster as a freebie.
--
Bruce G. Barnett <bar...@ge-crd.ARPA> <bar...@steinmetz.UUCP>
uunet!steinmetz!barnett

John Haugh

Oct 21, 1987, 2:16:51 PM10/21/87

I just got off the phone (the phone enjoyed it ;-) with a person (not
_girl_ - Grrr) at Unitech and she informed me that they are currently
sold out.

I wonder why... Supposedly Unitech may reprint the poster in a month
or two.

Until then, I'll just have to live without real Unix art in my office.

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh 11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

BEATTIE

Oct 22, 1987, 12:15:17 PM10/22/87
In article <2...@Ahab.moby.UUCP>, t...@moby.UUCP (Tom Lowe) writes:
> I called Unitech at 1-703-264-3301 and the girl who answered the
> phone very nicely told me that she would send me a form with which I
> could order the poster for $7.00.
> Tom Lowe {rutgers,gatech,huscb,burdvax,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!moby!tel

I just called and they told me that they are sold out but that
there may be another printing in a few months.

They took my name and promised to contact me when and if it becomes
available.

Tom.

Alen Shapiro

Oct 22, 1987, 3:04:28 PM10/22/87
In article <28...@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP> bar...@steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) writes:
>In article <2...@Ahab.moby.UUCP> t...@moby.UUCP (Tom Lowe) writes:
>|I called Unitech at 1-703-264-3301 and the girl who answered the
>|phone very nicely told me that she would send me a form with which I
>|could order the poster for $7.00.
>
>If you qualify, and fill out a marketing survey, you can get the
>UNIX poster as a freebie.
>--

just called Unitech, they were very nice but were sorry they had no
more posters to give out (just enough for trade shows), seems that
they have had a lot of calls for posters ((:- I wonder why :-)).
They are working on a NEW poster but are not sure when it will
be ready. Phone them and get your name on their poster list, perhaps
they'll do a reprint run on the old one.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

Mike Hollatz

Oct 22, 1987, 5:18:29 PM10/22/87

Having just talked to the folks at Unitech, they
inform me that the poster is no longer available.

Sarah Groves Hobart

Oct 23, 1987, 4:01:20 PM10/23/87

Right--the poster is not available. BUT if you or someone you know is
going to a trade show that Unitech is also going to, you can pick one
up there.

They tell me that the poster started out as a marketing tool to attract
the techier side of the market (they do sys admin software). I assured
them that it had certainly attracted the attention of techies! The
new poster won't be printed until they get cash-positive, but it's
supposedly a similar but new design.

Sarah Groves Hobart
{ihnp4,amdahl,sun}!ptsfa!laticorp!sarah

Larry Keryc @ NBI Inc. Roseland NJ

Oct 23, 1987, 5:32:12 PM10/23/87
In article <3...@cogen.UUCP>, al...@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
> just called Unitech, they were very nice but were sorry they had no
> more posters to give out (just enough for trade shows), seems that
> they have had a lot of calls for posters ((:- I wonder why :-)).
> They are working on a NEW poster but are not sure when it will
> be ready. Phone them and get your name on their poster list, perhaps
> they'll do a reprint run on the old one.
>
> --alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

I received my poster at last year's Unix Expo. I had to fill out a
survey form and I receive all kinds of mail from UNITECH. UNITECH is
listed as one of the vendors at this year's expo. Could the new
poster be given out then? We shall see...

Knowledge is Power! Larry Keryc
NBI, Inc
Senior Systems Engineer
6 Becker Farm Road
Roseland, New Jersey 07068
201-533-1999
rutgers!hulkster!larry

George Andrew Traver

Nov 5, 1987, 1:11:19 AM11/5/87

A freind back east sent me a UNIX Magic Poster, however I am not able
to match all the items on the poster to UNIX commands. What is
"orgenao"? Also what does the castle in the window and the reaper
mean? Am I trying to read too much into this poster? If you think
you have spoted things in the poster that are hard to see or if you
know the answers to these questions please respond. Thanks.

Sarah Groves Hobart

Nov 9, 1987, 8:07:03 PM11/9/87

These have been hashed out before, except for the castle. Does the castle
mean anything?

The oregano is reputedly referring to an incident in which one of the
original folks involved with BSD was hassled for coming across the
Canadian/U.S. border with a bag of what was assumed to be an illegal
substance, and turned out to be oregano.

The reaper in the window, depending on whom you talk to is:

a) reaping zombie processes
b) a hacker
c) hacking the kernel

I prefer c), myself. (Although it's obviously a background process in
a partially obscured window.)