System Call for Ethernet Address in Solaris ?

김찬형

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Hi, I need some help !

I'm eager to know what system call to get ethernet address in Solaris.

I've used ioctl() in HP-UX, getkerninfo() in AIX.

but I can't find it in Solaris.

Is there anybody who help me ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Chan H. Kim

E-Mail : for...@samsung.co.kr

Wesley W. Garland

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
>Hi, I need some help !
>
>I'm eager to know what system call to get ethernet address in Solaris.
>
>I've used ioctl() in HP-UX, getkerninfo() in AIX.
>
>but I can't find it in Solaris.
>
>Is there anybody who help me ?

I have been trying to figure this out for some time. Reverse
engineering ifconfig (with gdb and truss) and examining
non-published header files in /usr/include/* suggests that this
is possible using SIOCGENADDR ioctls, but I have not been
able to pull out MAC addresses yet -- just interface
lists for plumbed ifs, up/down/etc status, and configured IP
numbers.

If you make any progress on this, I'd love to hear from
you. OTOH, you may be able to do with MIBs but I am not
100% sure as I have not pursued this route.

Cheers,
Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland                 | Email: w...@page.ca
Director, Product Development     | Pager: wes-...@kingston.net

John K. Lorenzon

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
try arp -a. also, are you trying to get a particular MAC address or a
local one. try snoop ether (or some variation of that snoop -V ether,
etc.).

John