Getting help with vi

Robert Thompson

Jul 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/7/97

I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
editor?

Robert A. Thompson

Cosmo Lee

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97
The O'Reilly book is a good place start.
ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

Cosmo Lee Multi-User Computer Systems Brooklyn, NY

email: co...@echonyc.com "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"

m...@alleleb.biol.berkely.edu

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

comp.editors would be a fine place.

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory

vsmu...@sunserv.cmc.stph.net

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

Linda Pattison

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

In article <33C1A8...@unx1.shsu.edu>, ucs...@unx1.shsu.edu says...

>I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
>is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
>editor?
>
>Robert A. Thompson
I have the Unix for Dummies Quick Reference Book. There's a section on
editors. Under vi, they have all of the common commands. Worked for me.
Also, .EDUnix by Wm. Parrette has some good reference pages.

Linda Pattison

Stefan Krieghoff

Jul 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/11/97

i've been using vi for a very long time. The best book I've seen is
"The Ultimate Guide to the Vi and Ex text editors"
Hewlett Packard
ISBN 0-8053-4460-8
:-) Stefan
--
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ AEG Atlas Leittechnik GmbH,
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Stefan Krieghoff, Abt. T4

y2...@usa.net

Jul 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/11/97

On 10 Jul 1997 18:03:01 GMT, lpat...@mail.hst.nasa.gov (Linda Pattison) wrote:
> In article <33C1A8...@unx1.shsu.edu>, ucs...@unx1.shsu.edu says...
> >
> >I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> >is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> >editor?

Check out "The Vi Lovers Home Page":

http://www.cs.vu.nl:80/~tmgil/vi.html

Cheers,

LePluy.

--

Posted using Reference.COM http://www.reference.com

InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

Kevin Eliuk

Jul 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/11/97

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Robert Thompson wrote:

> I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> editor?

Although the authour of this question has given up on vi,
I'd like to note that nvi has a tutor that offers beginner
and advanced levels.

--
=| Regards, =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
=| Kevin G. Eliuk =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."

Hans Georg Schaathun

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

On Mon, 07 Jul 1997 21:37:55 -0500,
Robert Thompson <ucs...@unx1.shsu.edu> wrote:
: I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
: is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
: editor?

I have two documents which I have gotten from somewhere on the net,
some time in the past...

The vi FAQ:
http://www.ii.uib.no/~georg/doc/vi/vi.faq
And a vi reference:
http://www.ii.uib.no/~georg/doc/vi/vi.html

--
:-- Hans Georg --- student of 'Life, the Universe and Everything'
<ge...@ii.uib.no> (stud.oecon. stud.scient.) http://www.ii.uib.no/~georg/

,Studenter, ta fri, det er vår !'

Dr. Wolfgang Otrebski

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

Robert Thompson wrote:

> I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> editor?
>
> Robert A. Thompson
man man
man vi
man ex
The UNIX system by S. R. Bourne (Addison Wesley)
ask Your local guru - prepare to spend at least 2 hours

Have Fun,
wolfgang
--
Standard disclaimer applies (anyone following advice given here does so
at her/his own risk - I speak for myself and not for my employer).

Ben Avling

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Dr. Wolfgang Otrebski <wolfgang...@siemens.at> wrote:
> Robert Thompson wrote:

> > I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> > is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> > editor?

> man man

> man vi
> man ex
> The UNIX system by S. R. Bourne (Addison Wesley)

And also

man vim

vim is basically an improved vi. It may not be available on your
system, but if it is it has a lot of advantages over vi, online
help is one.

Reagrds, Ben

Bas Ven

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Robert Thompson wrote:

> I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> editor?
>
> Robert A. Thompson

Check the following url: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tmgil/vi.html
J.B. Ven | Alcatel Telecom Nederland
Phone: +31 (70) 3079130 | P.O. Box 3292
Fax: +31 (70) 3079191 | NL-2280 GG Rijswijk
Work: mailto:v...@ats.nld.alcatel.nl | The Netherlands
Home: mailto:bas...@xs4all.nl |

wap...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 11:46:33 PM6/18/17
On Thursday, July 10, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Linda Pattison wrote:
> In article <33C1A8...@unx1.shsu.edu>, ucs...@unx1.shsu.edu says...
> >
> >I am starting to learn vi and am having trouble with some small areas
> >is there anywhere I can go to learn or ask questions about the vi
> >editor?
> >
> >Robert A. Thompson
> I have the Unix for Dummies Quick Reference Book. There's a section on
> editors. Under vi, they have all of the common commands. Worked for me.
> Also, .EDUnix by Wm. Parrette has some good reference pages.
>
> Linda Pattison

Hey Linda, thanks for the plug. I am glad to hear that someone thinks that I have some good reference oages. They are at: http://wap.parrette.net/EDUnixGuideToVi.pdf and http://wap.parrette.net/EDUnixCompleteVi.pdf Thanks again and I hope that somebody else enjoys them as much as you did.

William A Parrette
w...@oarrette.net