Add a 'typical usage' section to man pages

1 Aufruf
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Spiros Bousbouras

ungelesen,
09.02.2009, 19:53:0809.02.09
an
On 24 Feb 2006, 03:22, "A. Z. Rick" <azri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> The Manpages is the de facto standard way to get info about
> commands and other things. It often helps, but it also has some weak
> point. A typical man page can be long, more than 300 lines, and cover
> many aspects of the commands(or other things). But the user often
> need only the info to write a command line for typical usage. It is a
> pain in the ass to scan nnn line man page to write only one command
> line. And such pain happens again and again...
>
> Let us add a 'typical usage' section to man pages. In this 'typical usage'
> section, we will put the command lines for most typical usage and their
> short explanations in it. A search engine may help us judge which usage
> is the 'most typical usage'.
>
> Any comments?

The "Examples" section of a man page tends to have typical usage
examples so I see no need to introduce a new section. But not
all man pages come with an examples section and that needs to be
improved.

0 neue Nachrichten