Connecting to Win95

Gavin

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Sorry for the mass posting.

How well does Windows 95 or 98 connect to the Unix OS?. My task is to set
up a LAN so the server receives mail and then sends it to the correct
terminal.
How could I do this with Unix and would I need any special software.

Replies by e-mail please.
--
Thanks in advance.

ga...@sevensprings.f9.co.uk

Gavin.

Alex Andr.

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Hi!
I SCO Skunkware is samba software, try it.

Gavin wrote:

Alexander.

Lew Pitcher

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
"Alex Andr." wrote:

> Hi!
> I SCO Skunkware is samba software, try it.
Huh?? That sentence makes absolutely no sense. There's a few words in it
that relate to the problem, but they aren't put together in any understandable
form.

> Gavin wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the mass posting.
> >
> > How well does Windows 95 or 98 connect to the Unix OS?. My task is to set
> > up a LAN so the server receives mail and then sends it to the correct
> > terminal.
> > How could I do this with Unix and would I need any special software.

Install the TCP/IP stack on your Windows 95/98 boxen.
Give each Windows box an email client that talks POP3 or IMAP
Install a POP or IMAP server on the Unix box, as well as an SMTP server.
Make sure that your DNS records give your Unix box as the mail server (MX
record)
Connect up the Unix box to your intranet or the Internet.
Away you go.

If you want to provide "File and Print Sharing" from the Unix box to the Windows
boxen, get a copy of Samba (http://www.samba.org/). This package implements the
SMB (or CIFS) protocol used by MS Windows "Microsoft Networks" and OS/2 "LANMAN"
to host a file and/or print server. You'll need the "Client for Microsoft
Networks"
on each MS Windows box, but this comes with MS Windows, so install it from the
appropriate Microsoft install media.

You can also host Netware-client compatable file and print sharing by installing
the Mars-NWE package (available at Sunsite, IIRC) on your Unix box. This permits
the Unix system to service "Client for Netware" connections as if it were
Netware 3.
For this to work, your Unix network stack has got to be able to talk IPX,
though.

> > Replies by e-mail please.

Sorry, but no. You post here, you read here.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training