Unixware 7.1 ... can't get modem properties to 'stick'

Saltine

Mar 15, 2001, 10:13:48 PM3/15/01
When ever the customer tries to implement changes that
I want them to put in for the modem, serial manager, etc
we get an error about 'ttyadm fig kill' (?? customer was not
real specific about it) .. but anyways .. can't get on to look at
it because .. well obviously .. its the modem ... any ideas

Jay

Matt Schalit

Mar 22, 2001, 2:21:59 PM3/22/01
"Saltine" <locom...@myvzw.com> said:

Hi Jay,

Ttyadm is a command that's used to format data for ttymon
so that it can be used by sacadm and pmadm. All those
are for the handling serial devices and communication
setups.

If you start from a point where you have all the ptf's
installed, then you can figure that your ppp or serial
setup has been mogrifed and that you need to remove
the offending setup and reinstall the device and
whatever it takes to control it.

It sounds like it can't process the usual data that
it deals with well in a normal situation.

Matthew

Saltine

Mar 22, 2001, 11:02:54 PM3/22/01
Here's the exact error message(s)

Unable to modify port settings
General failure occured in processing the request.

UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: @\225\240^B^A: Not found
UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\334^C^A^K^_\356#\207@\224X^A@\224XIL: Not
found
UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\334^D^A^K^_\356#\207@\203t^A@\230tIL: Not
found
UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR:
C\334^E^A^K^_\356#\207@\301U\200^A@\301U\200IL: Not found
UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\335^A^A^K^_\240^[W@\314R^A@\314R2: Not
found

Should I start as 'deep' as DCU and get rid of the device and work my way up
?

Jay

Matt Schalit <msch...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Matt Schalit

Mar 23, 2001, 2:34:42 PM3/23/01
"Saltine" <locom...@myvzw.com> said:

>Here's the exact error message(s)
>
>Unable to modify port settings
>General failure occured in processing the request.
>
>UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: @\225\240^B^A: Not found
>UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\334^C^A^K^_\356#\207@\224X^A@\224XIL: Not
>found
>UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\334^D^A^K^_\356#\207@\203t^A@\230tIL: Not
>found
>UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR:
>C\334^E^A^K^_\356#\207@\301U\200^A@\301U\200IL: Not found
>UX:sh (/usr/sbin/ttyadm): ERROR: C\335^A^A^K^_\240^[W@\314R^A@\314R2: Not
>found
>
>Should I start as 'deep' as DCU and get rid of the device and work my way up
>?
>
>Jay

Probably not as deep as DCU yet. I think you'll want to check
your whole installation integrity, though using

pkgchk -n base > /tmp/chklog 2>&1

Then fix what's broken. You'll probably want to do the
same pkgchk stuff with the other packages listed in pkginfo.
Something isn't right.

Try to remove the modem/serial port that's giving you problems
in scoadmin then adding it back in later.

What odd sorts of hardware are in there?

Matthew

Saltine

Mar 23, 2001, 7:07:33 PM3/23/01
I'll try checking the packages .. but as far as your
question of hardware ... PIII 550, 256MG ram, 1 - 4GB HD,
1 8GB HD, 1 Adaptec 2940 scsi card, 44x scsi cdrom,
HP Surestore 24i, US Robotics internal modem on com2

Nothing fancy

Matt Schalit <msch...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Matt Schalit

Mar 23, 2001, 8:13:37 PM3/23/01
"Saltine" <locom...@myvzw.com> said:

>I'll try checking the packages .. but as far as your
>question of hardware ... PIII 550, 256MG ram, 1 - 4GB HD,
>1 8GB HD, 1 Adaptec 2940 scsi card, 44x scsi cdrom,
>HP Surestore 24i, US Robotics internal modem on com2
>
>Nothing fancy

Thanks for the info. My guess is that it's the internal
modem causing issues. Over and over I hear people
saying to always use external modems, and I fully agree.
If you want to eliminate a lot of variables and possibly
solve your problem, swap that thing out quick. I've used
external USR and Zoom modems with great success.

Good Luck,
Matt