UNIXWARE 7 .. Multi-screen Console ??????

Jay Glendenning

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
Does Unixware 7 have the ability to run console and multi-screen as previous
Unix versions ... The use of <alt><function key> switching to different
login
screens ... I am just learning and XWindows always is there a my console
Is there a way to either bypass/shutdown XWindows so that all I am running
is
a standart 'sh' 'csh' or 'ksh' without XWindows ????

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jay

Larry Rosenman

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
alt/sys-req f1-8

Larry

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: l...@lerctr.org

Jay Glendenning

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
I tried that and nothing happens ... Does the Xwindows have some kind of
setting ... I believe that Xwindows is interfering with an application and
would
like to just be able to have a standard login screen like UNIX type logins
with
out the GUI interfacing ???

Joe Doupnik

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
In article <384a...@news.pcom.net>, "Jay Glendenning" <jg...@pcom.net> writes:
> I tried that and nothing happens ... Does the Xwindows have some kind of
> setting ... I believe that Xwindows is interfering with an application and
> would
> like to just be able to have a standard login screen like UNIX type logins
> with
> out the GUI interfacing ???
>
> Larry Rosenman wrote in message ...
>>alt/sys-req f1-8
>>
>>Larry

ALT SYS-REQ H takes one to the "home" text screen.
Joe D.

Marco Cestele

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
ctrl + alt +fun key

--
Marco Cestele
C. & C. Center

Sergey N. Yakovlev

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Hi!

Marco Cestele <pi...@pippo.it> сообщил в новостях

> ctrl + alt +fun key

Yes
and "vtlmgr"!

Clarence Dold

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In comp.unix.unixware.misc Joe Doupnik <j...@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

: ALT SYS-REQ H takes one to the "home" text screen.

With UW2, in order to get the other function keys to "work", you need to invoke
vtlmgr
from the "home" or "console" screen.
man vtlmgr
--
---
Clarence A Dold - do...@network.rahul.net

Fred Allen

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In Unixware 7 the multi screens are accessed bu <CTL> <ALT> <F#>
There is actually only 1 true Console screen and it is accessed with
<CTL> <ALT> <ESC>

Ron Kirschner

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
use [alt][printscreen][f1-f8] or [alt][printscreen][h]

tony

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99

mojo_...@my-deja.com

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Hmmmmm. . . . too many ways to do the same thing.

<Ctrl><Alt>H is the console, too.

Hey, Jay, which method do you like so far? Jay. . . . JAY. . . . YOU
THERE?

MoJo Risin
--
In article <38508F53...@mindspring.com>,

Fred Allen <cfa...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> In Unixware 7 the multi screens are accessed bu <CTL> <ALT> <F#>
> There is actually only 1 true Console screen and it is accessed with
> <CTL> <ALT> <ESC>
>

> Jay Glendenning wrote:
> >
> > Does Unixware 7 have the ability to run console and multi-screen as
previous
> > Unix versions ... The use of <alt><function key> switching to
different
> > login
> > screens ... I am just learning and XWindows always is there a my
console
> > Is there a way to either bypass/shutdown XWindows so that all I am
running
> > is
> > a standart 'sh' 'csh' or 'ksh' without XWindows ????
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated
> >
> > Jay

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jay Glendenning

Dec 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/27/99
Yeah yeah I'm here ... I guess I like the <CTRL><ALT>F1....F12 keys
stuff/ways/... you get my drift

Jay

Steven Whatley

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
I didn't see the start of this thread, but if I want to do multi screen
stuff, I like using Gnu's screen from <ftp://www.gnu/org/gnu/screen/>.
You can have up to 10 screens running at the same thime and swith by
typing CTRL-A <n>. If you need to have logins to different machines, you
can do ^A : screen telnet .... You can even redefine ^A sequences to do
custom commands.

It works for me.

Later,
Steven