Unixware 7.1 telnet error

Frederico Fonseca

Mar 3, 2003, 4:22:00 PM3/3/03
From a friend.

I'm on UnixWare7 7.1.0. Everytime I telnet to the server, either from
the host itself or from a Microsoft W2k client, I get logged in with
the welcome banner but the server kicks me right out with the message:
"telnetd: set_id() failed: Operation not applicable."
I've run "uname -X" & it shows "Users = 50", so, I'm ok with the
licesing issue. /usr/bin/telnet has proper permission but it doesn't
matter as this happens also from a MS W2k client. Any idea anyone?
I've been searching the web big time & trying almost all kind of
suggestions there of but nothing helps!
end quote

I don't know yet what are the PTF's installed, but I have asked for
it.

In the mean time if anyone has any idea about it...

Thanks

FF
Frederico Fonseca
ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

Dennis Golden

Mar 4, 2003, 2:16:09 PM3/4/03

Frederico Fonseca wrote:
> From a friend.

> I'm on UnixWare7 7.1.0. Everytime I telnet to the server, either from
> the host itself or from a Microsoft W2k client, I get logged in with
> the welcome banner but the server kicks me right out with the message:
> "telnetd: set_id() failed: Operation not applicable."
> I've run "uname -X" & it shows "Users = 50", so, I'm ok with the
> licesing issue. /usr/bin/telnet has proper permission but it doesn't
> matter as this happens also from a MS W2k client. Any idea anyone?
> I've been searching the web big time & trying almost all kind of
> suggestions there of but nothing helps!
> end quote

I suspect that telnet has lost it's privileges. What happens when
initprivs is run? I don't remember exactly when it is run during boot,
but you might look at osmlog and see if it failed.

You can run filepriv to restore the privileges (look in
/etc/security/tcb/priv to find out how they should be set), but be
careful that only the date is different. Check the size and run sum to
make sure no one has replaced the binary.

--
Dennis Golden
Golden Consulting Services, Inc.