Domain name change

David Avnaim

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is written
in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but that
still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

CHIU Pat Ho

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
may be you can change it by using "scoadmin network"!!

David Avnaim

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
I wish it were that easy. I did that first, but it shows up elsewhere as the
old domain. There are a lot of files that hold the domain info, but don't
change when changing it in scoadmin>network.

"CHIU Pat Ho" <phc...@netmon.com.hk> wrote in message

Crossfire

Oct 8, 2000, 10:23:13 PM10/8/00
On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:44:31 GMT,
the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

] What is the correct way to change the domain name after installation of
] UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is not taking. This is written
] in many files and I have changed it in every file I found it in, but that
] still has not fixed it. Do I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

Changing the domain name on a UnixWare 7 box is tricky because there's lots
of different places that need to have it changed.

Use find(1) to check for the following files and then change the old system
name to the new system name as appropriate

hosts (there's more than one)
.olduname
nwconfig
nodename
magnus.conf
ns-admin.conf
count.cfg
hostname.inc
nodename.inc
scohelp.inc
ttalogin.inc
current.prf
factory.prf
ifile
lastlog

Also, be sure to change the directory names in the /usr/spool/lp heirarchy
to the new name.

If you're also changing IP addresses, you'll need to change it in these
files:

interface
config
hosts
nb.conf
ns-admin.conf
ifile

I got this information from the book "UnixWare 7 System Administration"
by Gene and Melissa Henriksen. In that book is actually a shell script that
makes the changes for you, but due to copyright issues (and the fact that
it's pretty long) I'm not going to post it. The book is pretty useful;
I recommend picking up a copy with the caveat that it's written for UW7.0.0
so some of the stuff is now outdated.

Jon Reid
Email: jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com Web: http://www.apeiros.com/~jon
(DeSPAM my email to contact me.)
I remember the very thing that I do not wish to;
I cannot forget the things I wish to forget. Cicero

Bill Vermillion

Oct 9, 2000, 12:51:59 AM10/9/00
In article <slrn8u2b09.fc...@olethros.apeiros.com>,

Crossfire <jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:44:31 GMT,
>the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

>] What is the correct way to change the domain name after
>] installation of UnixWare 7.1.1? I have made the change and it is
>] not taking. This is written in many files and I have changed it
>] in every file I found it in, but that still has not fixed it. Do
>] I need to do a fresh install? Thanks.

>Changing the domain name on a UnixWare 7 box is tricky because
>there's lots of different places that need to have it changed.

>Use find(1) to check for the following files and then change the
>old system name to the new system name as appropriate

[ all the possible areas deleted here - wjv ]

>If you're also changing IP addresses, you'll need to change it in
>these files:

[ditto]

Can we start a grass root movement and lobby for a change to what I
think is this outdated behaviour.

In Solaris there is a hostname identified with each NIC card.
There is the domain name in the hosts file. There are about 2
other places and that's it.

In the BSD world there is one configuration file, and about 2 other
places.

How hard can it be to have all the programs that need the names/IPs
look at one or two configuration files.

Jeff's lists of things to change on the OSR5 when you change
names shows how far out of hand this is.

The UW7 list is much shorter, but IMO still far too long.

For webservers I maintain on BSD environments I can edit two or
three files and reboot and it's done.

Granted that the UW7 target market is for enterprise machines, but
machines have a way of migrating to new tasks and shouldn't things
be easier than they are now?

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Crossfire

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 04:51:59 GMT,
the Lovely and Talented Bill Vermillion <bi...@wjv.com> wrote:

[snip way too complex system name change stuff]

] Granted that the UW7 target market is for enterprise machines, but

] machines have a way of migrating to new tasks and shouldn't things
] be easier than they are now?

I concur. It would be trivial for SCO to include a simple shell script
like the one in the sysadmin book to take care of this task (assuming they
couldn't just make ONE file with the name and IP and have everything else
reference it).

I got tired of asking questions like that at SCO because I got tired of being
stared at, though... *grin*

] Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com