Unixware 1.1 problems

News Server

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
This system has been a NIGHTMARE!!

System hung up doing normal processing. It reboots and comes up fine.

When attempting to login as root or any other user it will not allow logins.
It gives the Login Prompt, and accepts the name, but that is it.

Is there any way to bypass normal startup and go into Single User mode and
login?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Please CC my email tim....@tmconsult.com

Gilles SIMON

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
When UW starts, hit the return key.
Then type in :
INITSTATE=1
go

and you will be in single user mode.

I used UW1.1 and I didn't get very big problem with it.

--
Gilles SIMON
gil...@wanadoo.fr

jerry sutton

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Gilles SIMON wrote:

> When UW starts, hit the return key.
> Then type in :
> INITSTATE=1
> go
>
> and you will be in single user mode.

Nitpicky point ... you will be prompted for the root
password to get into single user mode.

Do you have an emergency boot floppy? That can help here.

And you may not have to drop to single user mode - do you
know about virtual terminals? If you depress the
<alt> and <sysreq> keys simultaneously, then the 'P' key,
you will switch to the previous VT, which should be the
character terminal console, and you may see error messages
there even before trying to login there. In switching
virtual terminals, you can use 'N', F1, F2 ... F8 to get
to the "next", "first" ... "eigth" VT in place of 'P'.

> I used UW1.1 and I didn't get very big problem with it.
>
> --
> Gilles SIMON
> gil...@wanadoo.fr
>
> News Server wrote:
> >
> > This system has been a NIGHTMARE!!
> >
> > System hung up doing normal processing. It reboots and comes up fine.
> >
> > When attempting to login as root or any other user it will not allow logins.
> > It gives the Login Prompt, and accepts the name, but that is it.
> >
> > Is there any way to bypass normal startup and go into Single User mode and
> > login?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!!
> >
> > Please CC my email tim....@tmconsult.com

--
Jerry Sutton jer...@airmail.net
and of course, I don't speak on behalf of my employer