Updating the SCSI HBA drivers

Steve Morris

Jun 16, 2002, 7:55:52 AM6/16/02
Hi

I have recently changed SCSI host adaptors on my UnixWare 7.11 system and
the system no longer boots (system is halted). Obviously this is because the
embedded kernel driver for my old SCSI card isn't compatible with the new
Adaptec 29160N Ultra160 SCSI card I now have.

Firstly I need a floppy disk image I can download and execute on my Windows
98 PC to create the floppy that UnixWare requires to load the new drivers.

Can anyone point me to such a site where I can download a "disk image" file
for the aforementioned ultra160 SCSI card.

Secondly can someone be so kind as to provide me with details of how to get
these new drivers embedded into the kernel (I seem to remember something
about BTLD or using the "link" command at the "Boot:" prompt).

Thanks

--
Regards

Steve

Pat Welch

Jun 16, 2002, 7:25:00 PM6/16/02

You may have a worse problem - the new adapter *may* (you did not tell
us what the old one was) not use the same physical disk mappings that
the old one did. Meaning it will never be able to read the HD.

Your best bet is to put the old card back, get one of the 'Super-Tars'
and generate a set of recovery diskettes after following their
instructions on how to affect a SCSI card change the painless way.

Then make a pair of bit-level verified backups on tape and shutdown and
install the new SCSI card, boot from the recovery diskettes and restore
the backup.

Backup Edge (www.microlite.com)
Lone-Tar (www.cactus.com)

---
Caldera Authorized Partner
(209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833
Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

Steve Morris

Jun 17, 2002, 4:32:54 PM6/17/02
Thanks for the info, however, it would seem that it's easier for me to
re-install the operating system as I have all my data backed up anyway.
Incidently, the old SCSI card was an Adaptec 2940U2W.

--
Regards

Steve
"Pat Welch" <pat...@inreach.com> wrote in message