Ultrix on a MicroVAX 3100/95?

urbancamo

Aug 18, 2010, 4:18:25 AM8/18/10
Hi Guys,

I know I've asked about compatibility before, but someone gave me a
MicroVAX 3100/95 recently with some Ultrix 4.4 disks. I spent about 10
mins attempting an install and got what looked like a fairly low level
error when booting, it was something along the lines of 'HWR?' and
the boot failed.

I did a search of the documentation CD but I couldn't find a list
anywhere which would confirm whether Ultrix is supported on this
model. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for the help,

Mark.

Dennis Grevenstein

Aug 18, 2010, 5:16:15 AM8/18/10

It is not supported and won't work. The 3100/95 is an NVAX based
machine. ULTRIX only runs on 3100 systems with CVAX processors.
That would be a MicroVAX 3100/10, /10e, /20, /20e or a VAXstation
3100/30, /38, /40, /48. Those all range IIRC from 10 to 15MHz.
The 3100/95 came out much later and runs at a whopping 83MHz.
It's a very nice machine to run VMS on. It's the MicroVAX equivalent
of a VAXstation 4000/90A. The model designations tend to be
confusing.

Dennis

--
Don't suffer from insanity...