Problems w/HPUX sendmail w/Worldtalk SMTP gateway

1 view

Ken Shafer

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
I am trying to hide the local site which sends the SMTP message using the Y macro. Even when the DY macro is active the localhost name is shown as the host so that users cannot reply to messages sent from the host. I need to somehow rewrite the sender's host. I am using HP UX.

Example. I send from KE...@x400gw.iadb.org, but I want the recipient to see it
as KE...@iadb.org

I talked to the vendor (Worldtalk) and they said they did not know how to hide the host. The sendmail documentation mentions using the Y macro, which have done but it does not seem to override the local hostname.
--
"For its true history was always the history of transportation, in which the
names of railroad presidents are more significant than those of Presidents of

Ken Green

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Ken Shafer (klsh...@cs.indiana.edu) wrote:
> I am trying to hide the local site which sends the SMTP message using
> the Y macro. Even when the DY macro is active the localhost name is
> shown as the host so that users cannot reply to messages sent from the
> host. I need to somehow rewrite the sender's host. I am using HP UX.

> Example. I send from KE...@x400gw.iadb.org, but I want the recipient to
> see it
> as KE...@iadb.org

> I talked to the vendor (Worldtalk) and they said they did not know how to
> hide the host. The sendmail documentation mentions using the Y macro,
> which have done but it does not seem to override the local hostname.

The following is the section of the sendmail.cf file that deals with
sending mail over the network, and does the site hiding.

Mtcp, P=[IPC], F=CDFMXmu, S=11, R=21, E=\r\n, A=IPC $h

S11
R$*<@$+.UUX> $@$2!$1<@$w> add local domain to UUCP addr
R<@$+>:$* $@<@$w>:@$1:$2 add local domain to source rt
R$+<@$+> $@$1<@$2> already has domain
R$+ $:$1<@$?Y$Y$|$w$.> add local domain

S21
R$*<@$+>$* $@$1<@$2>$3 already has domain
R$+ $:$1<@$w> add local domain

The S=11 part tells sendmail to process the senders email address through
ruleset 11.

The S11 section then processes the senders address.

R$*<@$+.UUX> $@$2!$1<@$w>

This line would take any address ending in .UUX and convert it to an
'!' form address.

eg Ken.Green<@boris.UUX> would be converted to
boris!Ken.Green<@kgcc.demon.co.uk> $w = local hostname

The $@ tells sendmail to quit this ruleset at this stage and send the
mail.

R<@$+>:$* $@<@$w>:@$1:$2

take a source routed address <@boris>:Ken.Green@tigger and convert it to
<@kgcc.demon.co.uk>:@boris:@Ken.Green@tigger

Niether of these lines is likely to apply you.

R$+<@$+> $@$1<@$2> already has domain

This line say that addresses that are already in the form

Ken.Green<@kgcc.demon.co.uk> are okay as thet stand. to send them as
Ken.Green<@kgcc.demon.co.uk>

R$+ $:$1<@$?Y$Y$|$w$.> add local domain

This last line say take any other address and stick a site on the end,
either the system name or the site hide name.

so
R$+ == any address left.
$1 the address we were given
<@ add these characters.
$: do this only once.
$?Y is the Y macro defined eg DYsite.name
$Y if so use it
$| else
$w our own full hostname
$. end if
> add this to the address.

The < and > around the machine name bits are sendmails interneal format
of the address.

So what can go wrong.

Well firstly, if the mail isn't going over the network then it doesn't
come through here and have the site name given to it.

If the senders email address already has an @some.thing on the end then
this isn't touched.

I guess your suffering this problem. You could add a line to say that if
senmail sees the local machine in the senders address that it should
replace it with the site hide name. Some thing like

S11
R$*<@$+.UUX> $@$2!$1<@$w> add local domain to UUCP addr
R<@$+>:$* $@<@$w>:@$1:$2 add local domain to source r
R$+<@$w> $@$1<@$?Y$Y$|$w$.> <<< try this
R$+<@$+> $@$1<@$2> already has domain
R$+ $:$1<@$?Y$Y$|$w$.> add local domain

The new line here says, if the machine name after the '@' is the local
system then treat it just like the case where there is no machine name.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ken

PS, any chance you could get your usenet software to chop the lines up.
240ish char lines are not generaly considered friendly. Many people
can't easily read them, so they don't bother to post helpfull answers

--
Ken Green Computer Consultancy