Interactive Disk Limitations ?

Tim Whitlock

Feb 3, 1995, 8:03:29 AM2/3/95
Can anyone tell me the limits that interactive r3.2 v2.2 and v2.02 have on
fixed disk size and partition sizes.

We have been trying to configure a 2.1G disk with a 1.4 G INteractive unix
partition (in the dos sense) and around 4 unix partitions of 300M + a bit.
The problem we have had is that we create the 1.4 G partition (SCSI) using
FDISK on the install disk. The controller complains about 1024 cylinder limit
as per the manual we ignore this....we then set up the unix partitions and it
goes off to create them...these are duly created and then it says its is
checking the file system...22 hours later it is still flashing the light and
giving this message...the controller is an adaptec 1542CF card....does anyone
know any limits that we may have hit that could have sent it into this
loop ? Starting again and creating a 60M Interactive Partition etc works
fine.....

All advice suggestions on what boundary we have hit welcome

Tim Whitlock

Simon Casady

Feb 3, 1995, 10:29:22 AM2/3/95
Tim Whitlock (t...@bris.ac.uk) wrote:
: Can anyone tell me the limits that interactive r3.2 v2.2 and v2.02 have on

: Tim Whitlock
This is probably useless information but here it is anyway. There was
at one time a limit to file system size of around 250 meg. This was a
bug or limit or something in the ATT code. Current isc versions support
well over 300 meg and more than 1024 cylinder systems. I have both but
not 1.4 gig. If the early isc versions had that limit I don't really
know but I sugest you do a brute force test by just trying a few above
and below that to find out. Assuming you have lots of time and nothing
better to do :-)

--
Simon Casady Health Care Expert Systems
c...@hces.com voice (515)-222-1717

Jacques Caron

Feb 4, 1995, 7:44:17 PM2/4/95
In article <1995Feb3.1...@isac.hces.com>, c...@isac.hces.com (Simon
Casady) wrote:

>Tim Whitlock (t...@bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Can anyone tell me the limits that interactive r3.2 v2.2 and v2.02 have on
>: fixed disk size and partition sizes.
>
>: We have been trying to configure a 2.1G disk with a 1.4 G INteractive unix
>: partition (in the dos sense) and around 4 unix partitions of 300M + a bit.
>: The problem we have had is that we create the 1.4 G partition (SCSI) using
>: FDISK on the install disk. The controller complains about 1024 cylinder limit
>: as per the manual we ignore this....we then set up the unix partitions and it
>: goes off to create them...these are duly created and then it says its is
>: checking the file system...22 hours later it is still flashing the light and
>: giving this message...the controller is an adaptec 1542CF card....does anyone
>: know any limits that we may have hit that could have sent it into this
>: loop ? Starting again and creating a 60M Interactive Partition etc works
>: fine.....

>This is probably useless information but here it is anyway. There was

>at one time a limit to file system size of around 250 meg. This was a
>bug or limit or something in the ATT code. Current isc versions support
>well over 300 meg and more than 1024 cylinder systems. I have both but
>not 1.4 gig. If the early isc versions had that limit I don't really
>know but I sugest you do a brute force test by just trying a few above
>and below that to find out. Assuming you have lots of time and nothing
>better to do :-)

With ISC 3.0 we use lots of 1 Gbyte partitions with no problem at all
(except fsck is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long after a crash).
On the system we're setting up right now, we've got a RAID 5 system with
17 Gbytes, but poor little ISC 4.1 bastard can't handle partitions (in the
Unix sense) bigger than 2 Gbytes (max on a signed long :-< of course).
Well, in fact it's only mount and fsck that don't work :-) maybe I should
try with another fs type (vffs?).

On the fdisk side of it, no problem at all.

But of course, I don't remember what it looked like with 2.0.2 or 2.2.1...

-- Jacques Caron - Pressimage Telematique
jca...@pressimage.fr

Sverker Edwardsson

Feb 6, 1995, 5:04:48 AM2/6/95
Tim Whitlock (t...@bris.ac.uk) wrote:
: Can anyone tell me the limits that interactive r3.2 v2.2 and v2.02 have on

: Tim Whitlock

Here is my filesystem on a ISC 4.0 machine

oopc7:/usr/sverkere>dfspace
/ : Disk space: 22.03 MB of 100.00 MB
available(22.04%)
/usr : Disk space: 116.86 MB of 1000.00 MB
available(11.69%)
/usr2 : Disk space: 51.12 MB of 1620.99 MB
available( 3.15%)
/dos : Disk space: 14.52 MB of 215.98 MB
available( 6.73%)
/oopc10 :(Remote) Disk space: 32.54 MB of 372.86 MB
available( 8.73%)

Total (Local) Disk Space: 204.55 MB of 2936.98 MB
available( 6.96%)q

Simon Casady

Feb 8, 1995, 11:50:03 AM2/8/95
Jacques Caron (jca...@pressimage.fr) wrote:

: Anyone has an idea how to get more than 65500 inodes on a single FS? I
: have trouble with newsgroups :-<

: -- Jacques Caron - Pressimage Telematique
: jca...@pressimage.fr

You have to have a filesystem that supports them and I don't think ISC
has such a beast. I use symbolic links.

Jacques Caron

Feb 8, 1995, 6:11:33 AM2/8/95
In article <3h4s80$13...@columba.udac.uu.se>, sver...@oopc7.kemi.uu.se
(Sverker Edwardsson) wrote:

>Tim Whitlock (t...@bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Can anyone tell me the limits that interactive r3.2 v2.2 and v2.02 have on
>: fixed disk size and partition sizes.
>
>: We have been trying to configure a 2.1G disk with a 1.4 G INteractive unix
>: partition (in the dos sense) and around 4 unix partitions of 300M + a bit.
>: The problem we have had is that we create the 1.4 G partition (SCSI) using
>: FDISK on the install disk. The controller complains about 1024 cylinder limit
>: as per the manual we ignore this....we then set up the unix partitions and it
>: goes off to create them...these are duly created and then it says its is
>: checking the file system...22 hours later it is still flashing the light and
>: giving this message...the controller is an adaptec 1542CF card....does anyone
>: know any limits that we may have hit that could have sent it into this
>: loop ? Starting again and creating a 60M Interactive Partition etc works
>: fine.....

In addition to what I wrote a few days back, ISC 3.0 and up support "VFFS"
- Very Fast Filing System - which should support partitions up to 2
Terabytes!

Only problem is I don't think in 4.0+ VFFS accepts long filenames and
symbolic links, so you have to make a choice.

Jacques Caron

Feb 9, 1995, 9:40:07 PM2/9/95
In article <1995Feb8.1...@isac.hces.com>, c...@isac.hces.com (Simon
Casady) wrote:

>Jacques Caron (jca...@pressimage.fr) wrote:
>: Anyone has an idea how to get more than 65500 inodes on a single FS? I
>: have trouble with newsgroups :-<
>

>You have to have a filesystem that supports them and I don't think ISC
>has such a beast. I use symbolic links.

Yeah, I thought about it, and I have a nice ISC 4.1 waiting to be
installed, but this just makes it a mess to handle... mounting and
symlinking partitions everywhere, urk. And one needs (total number of
inodes needed)/65500 partitions anyway, this just isn't cool.

I guess SVR4 (Solaris for instance) handles this? Yep, I know, bad newsgroup...

Simon Casady

Feb 10, 1995, 11:52:36 AM2/10/95
Jacques Caron (jca...@pressimage.fr) wrote:
: In article <1995Feb8.1...@isac.hces.com>, c...@isac.hces.com (Simon
: Casady) wrote:

Thinking some more I decided to look at the VF file system. I have never
used it and the manual doesn't say but the super block uses a long to
hold the number of inodes insteasd of the short used by the standard
system. So it might allow more inodes. The mkvffs command will accept
numbers larger than 64k but, again, I have never actually created a file
system with it. Let us know if you try it.

Jonathan C. Broome

Feb 10, 1995, 11:26:04 PM2/10/95
In article <1995Feb10.1...@isac.hces.com> c...@isac.hces.com (Simon Casady) writes:

: Thinking some more I decided to look at the VF file system. I have never

: used it and the manual doesn't say but the super block uses a long to
: hold the number of inodes insteasd of the short used by the standard
: system. So it might allow more inodes. The mkvffs command will accept
: numbers larger than 64k but, again, I have never actually created a file
: system with it. Let us know if you try it.

:
: Simon Casady Health Care Expert Systems

Unfortunately, the "VF" filesystem uses the same directory entry format
as the S5 filesystem (aka "struct direct" in <sys/fs/s5dir.h>), so it is
still limited to 64K inodes, despite using a "long" for the superblock count.

---Jonathan Broome
j...@wilbur.uucp jon%wilbu...@cerritos.edu

PPH Bauwens

Feb 18, 1995, 4:05:10 AM2/18/95
John Hughes (jo...@nitelite.CalvaCom.FR) wrote:

: In article <1995Feb10.1...@isac.hces.com> c...@isac.hces.com (Simon Casady) writes:

: Simon> Thinking some more I decided to look at the VF file system. I have never
: Simon> used it and the manual doesn't say but the super block uses a long to
: Simon> hold the number of inodes insteasd of the short used by the standard
: Simon> system. So it might allow more inodes. The mkvffs command will accept
: Simon> numbers larger than 64k but, again, I have never actually created a file
: Simon> system with it. Let us know if you try it.
: Simon>
: Simon> Simon Casady Health Care Expert Systems

: In article <D3tIz...@wilbur.uucp> j...@wilbur.uucp (Jonathan C. Broome) replied:

: Jon> Unfortunately, the "VF" filesystem uses the same directory entry
: Jon> format as the S5 filesystem (aka "struct direct" in
: Jon> <sys/fs/s5dir.h>), so it is still limited to 64K inodes, despite
: Jon> using a "long" for the superblock count.

: Yes, but your both still missing the real problem. In SVRn, where n < 4
: an inode number is an unsigned short. It doesn't matter what the
: format of the filesystem is, you just CAN'T have more that 64k inodes
: per filesystem.

This is true for S5 and probably VF, but on a standard Intel SVR4
system the UFS filesystem handles > 64K inodes just fine.
You can have any number of inodes you want. (Fine for news spool :-)

The S5 filesystem should only be used for backward compatibility
with old binaries I.M.H.O. UFS is a lot faster.
Paul Bauwens Email: pa...@pphbau.atr.bso.nl
Rietkerkweg 364
3066VL Rotterdam Nederland Phone: +31-10-4211858