Disk images?

phi...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2008, 2:03:57 PM8/10/08
I've been looking around for disk images of UNIX System V, but I can't
find any. I would think that, just like any other 20-year-old OS, it
wouldn't be that hard. Anyone have any/links to any?

Bruce Esquibel

Aug 12, 2008, 12:43:37 PM8/12/08
In comp.unix.sys5.misc phi...@gmail.com wrote:

Heh, interesting question.

Part of the problem might be that the early stuff was tape or 8" floppy.

I think I might have something on 5 1/4 floppy but would have to dig around.
Not sure what version it was but I think nfs was a "value added" option.

We bought the Dell unix back in 1992 I think, that came with both the 5.25
and 3.5 "boot" floppy but the actual os loaded from a tape which I don't
even remember the format name anymore.

Keep in mind you probably would need a machine the same vintage to run it,
the device drivers were looking for ISA or EISA card slots. I don't think
the Dell (which was a later release) had anything for PCI at all.

I know most modern hard drives wouldn't be supported either, most os's of
the time were limited to 2GB partitions and some only supported 4 partitions
total. Plus the hd's were limited to SCSI (usually the adaptec controllers
were supported) or MFM, not sure if ide and eide was out and about then.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com