Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

16 views
Skip to first unread message

Kenny McCormack

unread,
May 6, 2021, 11:24:22 AMMay 6
to
I used to have SPARC machines here, but they have all been lost over the
years in various moves and/or disasters.

But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
only program. I have actually run it (sort of) using QEMU (the version of
QEMU where you give it a single program to run, rather than a full boot of
the foreign OS) under Linux on X86 and/or ARM. However, it doesn't
actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.

So, hence the question in the Subject line. I would be willing to run this
app in some kind of virtual machine if necessary, presumably using QEMU.

I did some research, and it sounds like the answer is No, but you never can
tell; it sure looks like Oracle did everything possible to screw things up.

--
The randomly chosen signature file that would have appeared here is more than 4
lines long. As such, it violates one or more Usenet RFCs. In order to remain
in compliance with said RFCs, the actual sig can be found at the following URL:
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Snicker

Winston

unread,
May 6, 2021, 12:53:29 PMMay 6
to
gaz...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:
...
> But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
> to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
> only program. [...] However, it doesn't
> actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
> ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.
>
> So, hence the question in the Subject line.

I probably can't help other than posting this followup ...

Which version was the application compiled for, and which libraries do
you know it needs?

You say "any version". Some versions of Solaris were open source, so
getting libraries (or even the whole O/S) for those may be easier than
for the proprietary versions.

If pretty much any of the OpenSolaris versions will do, look up
OpenIndiana and Illumos. Its goal was OpenSolaris with non-free code
replaced. There was also Nexenta which had a Solaris kernel and GNU
userland.

HTH,
-WBE

Grant Taylor

unread,
May 6, 2021, 8:31:22 PMMay 6
to
On 5/6/21 9:24 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> Possible to obtain any version of Solaris SPARC (32 bit) ?

I'd suggest checking eBay, The Internet Archive, and various abandon
ware websites. eBay may give you the warm and fuzzy feeling of you've
purchased a copy. YMMV



--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Casper H.S. Dik

unread,
May 13, 2021, 8:30:05 AMMay 13
to
gaz...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) writes:

>I used to have SPARC machines here, but they have all been lost over the
>years in various moves and/or disasters.

>But I still have one single 32 bit SPARC application that it would be nice
>to be able to run now and again. It is a relatively simple, command line
>only program. I have actually run it (sort of) using QEMU (the version of
>QEMU where you give it a single program to run, rather than a full boot of
>the foreign OS) under Linux on X86 and/or ARM. However, it doesn't
>actually run because of library dependencies. I have tried (once, long
>ago) to obtain the libraries, but could never quite get all that is needed.

>So, hence the question in the Subject line. I would be willing to run this
>app in some kind of virtual machine if necessary, presumably using QEMU.

>I did some research, and it sounds like the answer is No, but you never can
>tell; it sure looks like Oracle did everything possible to screw things up.

What type of 32 bit application is it; is it really old (SunOS 4.x) or is
Solaris 2.x+?

What type of libraries does it use? It seems to be not graphic so you
have a bigger chance of success on modern Solaris.

Solaris 7 was the first version of Solaris with a 64 bit kernel and
so the ability to run 64 binaries.

But Solaris has been able to run 32 bit binaries still; upto
Solaris 11.3 most of the binaries in the OS are 32 bit. It is on
Solaris 11.4 that most system supplied binaries are 64 bit; but
Solaris still support 32 bit binaries.

Of course, ypu'd need a SPARC system but I think there are a few
feasible SPARC emulators though I could think of one right now.

Casper
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages