Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Q: Expirence with DLT and Exabyte

2 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Heiko K. P. Fritze

no leída,
26 abr 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.26/4/1996
para

Hi folks,

does anyone have experience by using the DLT-Technologie or the
EXB440 with Solaris 2.4 ????

I have to choose between a DLT-Jukebox or an Exabyte-Jukebox.

What would you prefer ?

Thanx in advance for your answers,

Bye

Heiko Fritze

*live long and prosper*

Ewin H. Barnett

no leída,
28 abr 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.28/4/1996
para

In article <1...@kilroyd.uucp>, pe...@fiver.mmo.de (Heiko K. P. Fritze) wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>does anyone have experience by using the DLT-Technologie or the
>EXB440 with Solaris 2.4 ????
>
>I have to choose between a DLT-Jukebox or an Exabyte-Jukebox.
>
>What would you prefer ?

The hands-down better media is the DLT. It has a very robust ECC - detect 1
bit in 10**21 and it has dynamic media tensioning. It dynamically varies the
tape tension to maintain acceptable read levels with the minimimum of head
pressure. The media is also designed for long > 10years life.

We have chosed DLT for our tape archives over 4mm, 8mm & 1/2 inch 6250bpi.

Ewin

====
Ewin Barnett, Boone County, MO. On the air on WB0IIX, in the air in N4541T.

Read the Constitution, so you'll know what rights are being eroded.

Jack Bochsler

no leída,
3 may 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.3/5/1996
para

In article <1...@kilroyd.uucp>, Heiko K. P. Fritze <pe...@fiver.mmo.de> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>does anyone have experience by using the DLT-Technologie or the
>EXB440 with Solaris 2.4 ????
>
>I have to choose between a DLT-Jukebox or an Exabyte-Jukebox.
>
>What would you prefer ?

DLT - greater MB/s, significantly greater capacity. This is very noticiable
when positioning tape. The initial load time is somewhat slow, but all
subsequent operations are much faster than 8mm.
Has good support structure.

EXB440 - cheaper media (per tape) though the net cost
$/GB is about the same.
The EXB will have 4 tape drives vs 1 for the autoloader,
a significant difference.
Is barcode reader capable.
Has a transport mechanism not designed for weddings and birthdays.
More universally supported.

>Thanx in advance for your answers,
>
>Bye
>
>Heiko Fritze
>
>*live long and prosper*

jack

Jack Bochsler Cray Research
ja...@cray.com 9480 Carroll Park Drive
619/625-3768 San Diego, CA 92121

Rob McMahon

no leída,
4 may 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.4/5/1996
para

In article <1996May3.1...@walter.cray.com> ja...@cray.com (Jack
Bochsler) writes:

> >does anyone have experience by using the DLT-Technologie or the EXB440 with
> >Solaris 2.4 ????
> >
> >I have to choose between a DLT-Jukebox or an Exabyte-Jukebox.

> The EXB will have 4 tape drives vs 1 for the autoloader,

> a significant difference.
> Is barcode reader capable.

I don't know if the question was specifically about a DLT-Technologie
autoloader, but we have a DLT jukebox (an ADIC Scalar DLT 448) with 4 drives
and barcodes, so I don't see that as a fundamental difference.

Rob
--
UUCP: ...!mcsun!uknet!warwick!cudcv PHONE: +44 1203 523037
INET: cu...@csv.warwick.ac.uk

Jack Bochsler

no leída,
5 may 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.5/5/1996
para

Rob is correct. I had assumed the Quantum offerings (DLT4500/DLT4700)
for the autoloaders which are single drive / no barcode reader.

Pauli Super-User

no leída,
13 may 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.13/5/1996
para

Some pseudo-errors are propagated by
ja...@cray.com (Jack Bochsler) when he writes:

>In article <1...@kilroyd.uucp>, Heiko K. P. Fritze <pe...@fiver.mmo.de> wrote:
>>Hi folks,
>>

>>does anyone have experience by using the DLT-Technologie or the
>>EXB440 with Solaris 2.4 ????
>>
>>I have to choose between a DLT-Jukebox or an Exabyte-Jukebox.
>>

>>What would you prefer ?
>>
>DLT - greater MB/s, significantly greater capacity. This is very noticiable
>when positioning tape. The initial load time is somewhat slow, but all
>subsequent operations are much faster than 8mm.
>Has good support structure.

>EXB440 - cheaper media (per tape) though the net cost
>$/GB is about the same.

>The EXB will have 4 tape drives vs 1 for the autoloader,
>a significant difference.
>Is barcode reader capable.

>Has a transport mechanism not designed for weddings and birthdays.
>More universally supported.

All information about maxima for
Exabyte 8mm drives is now obsolete with the release of
the Mammoth drive in March 1996.
It is being advertized (I don't know if it is yet actually available).
I don't have one and don't know if it actually works reliably.

It does 20gig on a single tape at 3meg/sec uncompressed (maybe).
And it is quoted at the same optimistic factor-of-2 compression as other
drives.
It may require different tapes than
the previous Exabyte 8mm drives. It may require jukebox upgrades
(presumably just EPROMs so it can recognize the drives).
There is a new jukebox designed for it EXB220.

$5,200 'street price'
170 meter $98 AME (a brand name)
tape cartridge price (DLC Diamond Like Carbon coating)
cleaning cartridge is $66.
'backward compatible' but no statement that it handles ordinary 8mm tapes
so it is unclear in what sense they mean it is backward compatible.

See information at the Exabyte WWW site http://www.exabyte.com

Jim Belonis

>>Thanx in advance for your answers,
>>
>>Bye
>>
>>Heiko Fritze
>>
>>*live long and prosper*

>jack

>--

>--
>Jack Bochsler Cray Research
>ja...@cray.com 9480 Carroll Park Drive
>619/625-3768 San Diego, CA 92121

--
Belonis, Jedlow or Somsky, U of Wash. Physics Computer Cost Center Managers
man...@phys.washington.edu Internet University of Washington Physics Dept.

John Tibbitts

no leída,
15 may 1996, 3:00:00 a.m.15/5/1996
para

--

OK,

Being that we have sold both now. Yes, we've shipped 440s with 2 Mammoth
drives and many DLT libraries. I like the Mammoth. It screams. We
tested our HSM package on a 440 with 4 Mammoths on a Silicon Graphics
Challenge S. It sustained 11.8 to 12 MB per second on archives of 76 GB.

We are introducing a Mammoth based Tape-RAID that will allow customers
to incrementally add to their performance. They can start at 6 MB per second
and simply plug in new Mammoths (modularly) to allow 9,12 and 15 MB per
second transfer rates with native capacites at 100GB.

Our success with DLT has also been good. Don't get me wrong. But,
let's face it same price and 50% better performance. I think I'll go
with the slower model? Don't think so.

******* RAID 0,1,3,4 & 5 NOW on our GSA Schedule *******

John Tibbitts | Authorized | INLINE Corporation
jo...@inlinecorp.com | HARDWARE DEVELOPER |12110 Sunset Hills Rd
800.465.4637 | & | Suite # 450
703.478.0800 main | SYSTEMS INTEGRATOR | Reston, Virginia
703.478.0966 fax | For Silicon Graphics | USA 22090

Hierarchical Storage Management /RAID/ Backup & Archive Solutions

http://www.inlinecorp.com

0 mensajes nuevos