Grabbed a Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 Server for my homelab..Looking for Latest FW and OS

Viktor Madarasz

Oct 29, 2019, 5:38:59 PM10/29/19
Hi

Looking for the latest firmware for Sun SPARC Enterprise T5220 Server

I dont have an oracle contract therefore I am unable to download myself
however I own the server legally as I bought it and paid for it on the
secondhand market ebay.

I managed to grab Solaris 11.3 for SPARC which is the last one supported on
this server.

But I am missing still the software Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.5 ( the
last one supported on this server with the T2 chip)

The Firmware files are:

SysFW 7.4.11 (based on ILOM 3.0) 147307-15

SysFW 7.1.8.a (based on ILOM 2.0) 136932-10

Thanks

viktormadarasz

Chris

Oct 31, 2019, 10:08:35 AM10/31/19
Unless you need the enhancements in 11.x, I would stick with Solaris 10.

For hobby use, 10 should do everything you need and also supports a
graphics card, which afaics, 11 does not. Find something like an XVR300
and suitable kbd and mouse and you have a usable Gnome 2 based desktop.
Quite useful if only to allow multiple shells open at once. Xvnc is
included as well, though you need to dig to find the setup info, as
it's not well documented.

As for firmware, you need a support contract to get that, but I would
try it with existing firmware to start with. A dealer may be able to
help with firmware, but never needed it here for hobby use, original
has always worked just fine...

Regards,

Chris

Viktor Madarasz

Oct 31, 2019, 11:20:15 AM10/31/19
Hi

it comes with a video card with dms59 port its pending to confirm if its an xvr 300 my model or not

regarding keyboard: does it work with any of the special sun keyboards,?

xvnc i will check some docs

maybe i try a dealer regarding fw but first lets see the version it comes with

viktormadarasz

Viktor Madarasz

Nov 4, 2019, 3:10:38 PM11/4/19
The GPU is a FireMV 2200 x8 128MB

is it better or worse than the Sun XVR-3000 You mentioned?

The FW is to be figured out but i managed to get the FW 7.4.10 (the one before the latest 7.4.11) for T5220

Chris

Nov 4, 2019, 8:55:45 PM11/4/19
From memory, the 3000 should be better, but not always relevant
if you are primarily running a desktop. In fact, some of the
lower end cards have better 2d and X performance than the more
expensive cards. Whatever, but don't expect gaming machine
performance from that machine.

Just forget the firmware side track and install Sol 10 and
see how far you get. Much more interesting :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Viktor Madarasz

Nov 5, 2019, 1:11:09 AM11/5/19
Hi

all i need is decent 2d

for the record on the boot screen it shows sun xvr 300 logo and mt card looks exactly like this one so i guess its xvr 300

even the firemv sticker the same like on the link

https://www.serverworlds.com/sun-375-3545-xvr-300-graphics-accelerator-x3000a/

Viktor Madarasz

Nov 5, 2019, 1:29:57 AM11/5/19
Hi

some users who own T5120 recommended either:
http://www.milax.fi/v9os.html

or latest OpenBSD 6.6 tough it remains unknown how it behaves with the high cpu/core count the kernel wait times...

But first i have to go through the jumper root reset for ilom and to be able to bring back the box to factory reset so i xan install solaris 10 or 11 whichever iso i find first on my NAS

Jevgeni Mullo

Nov 18, 2022, 3:30:43 PM11/18/22
Hello all,

Is there by any chance someone that still has the SyfFw 7.4.10 or, perhaps, .11 and is willing to help out another enthusiast in need?
Got a T5120 running 7.4.4 recently and desperately looking for a newer/latest version.

Cheers,
Jevgeni

YTC#1

Nov 25, 2022, 4:13:33 PM11/25/22
You'd have to ask someone privately, Oracle would probably frown upon
such exchanges openly on the net.

Obviously to ask someone you would have to understand that you may need
to remove the -spambin or such from their email address.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"