colored terminal?

johny

Oct 7, 2002, 6:19:59 AM10/7/02
hi, all:
my platform is SunOS 5. hardware is Sparc.
my xterm, shell window can only support two color display -- black & white.
so i can't have colored interface with some softwares.
where can i found a terminal software which supports colored display?

thanks,

Thomas Dickey

Oct 7, 2002, 9:04:40 AM10/7/02

Alan Coopersmith

Oct 7, 2002, 10:13:59 AM10/7/02
john19...@yahoo.com (johny) writes in comp.unix.solaris:

/usr/dt/bin/dtterm or upgrade to Solaris 9 which adds color support to
Solaris xterm.

Alan Coopersmith al...@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coo...@Sun.COM

Thomas Dickey

Oct 7, 2002, 11:13:52 AM10/7/02
Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> john19...@yahoo.com (johny) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
> |my platform is SunOS 5. hardware is Sparc.
> |my xterm, shell window can only support two color display -- black & white.
> |so i can't have colored interface with some softwares.
> |where can i found a terminal software which supports colored display?

> /usr/dt/bin/dtterm or upgrade to Solaris 9 which adds color support to
> Solaris xterm.

for the latter, try
http://invisible-island.net/vttest/

(there are a number of new problems which I observed running the i18n patch,
which your previous posting indicated was the one that ships with Solaris 9)

Joerg Schilling

Oct 7, 2002, 11:17:29 AM10/7/02
In article <ans0p8$fic$1...@news1.radix.net>,

Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
>johny <john19...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> hi, all:
>> my platform is SunOS 5. hardware is Sparc.
>> my xterm, shell window can only support two color display -- black & white.
>> so i can't have colored interface with some softwares.
>> where can i found a terminal software which supports colored display?
>
>The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
>There's an faq at
> http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm

At least on Solaris 9 the on board xterm just supports colors.

--
EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1

Kjetil Torgrim Homme

Oct 7, 2002, 11:58:01 AM10/7/02
[Joerg Schilling]:

> Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
> >The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
> >There's an faq at
> > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> > ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm
>
> At least on Solaris 9 the on board xterm just supports colors.

guess why... ;-)

--
Kjetil T. ==. ,,==. ,,==. ,,==. ,,==. ,,==
::://:::://:::://:::://:::://::::

Thomas Dickey

Oct 7, 2002, 1:15:51 PM10/7/02
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjet...@haey.ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> [Joerg Schilling]:
>>
>> Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
>> >The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
>> >There's an faq at
>> > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
>> > ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm
>>
>> At least on Solaris 9 the on board xterm just supports colors.

> guess why... ;-)

not exactly. I read in this newsgroup that the Solaris 9 xterm uses a
different patch. That article pointed to a patch which is supposedly the
changes that were incorporated. It fails a few tests in vttest which the other
versions do not. Given what I saw, dtterm is still better than that version.

Alan Coopersmith

Oct 7, 2002, 1:39:54 PM10/7/02
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjet...@haey.ifi.uio.no> writes in comp.unix.solaris:

|[Joerg Schilling]:
|>
|> Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
|> >The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
|> >There's an faq at
|> > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
|> > ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm
|>
|> At least on Solaris 9 the on board xterm just supports colors.
|
|guess why... ;-)

It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.

Joerg Schilling

Oct 7, 2002, 2:25:59 PM10/7/02
In article <ansgta$6id$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjet...@haey.ifi.uio.no> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
>|[Joerg Schilling]:

>|> At least on Solaris 9 the on board xterm just supports colors.
>|
>|guess why... ;-)
>
>It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.

This is really interesting:

If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
you will see rotten output.

- Underlines are always going to the left end of the window

- After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
inverse video.

This happens if I use the less/more that is on Linux (Uses TERMINFO)
or with my 'p' ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/p (uses my completely
stand alone TERMCAP implementation) with the Linux supplied databases.

If you do the same Linux/linux there is no problem.

If I use ~/.termcap file with an xterm entry fetched from Eric Raymonds
server and use my 'p', everything is OK too.

Thomas Dickey

Oct 7, 2002, 2:37:09 PM10/7/02
Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <ansgta$6id$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.

yes. Reading the patch, less than 10% was focused on the i18n aspect which it
supposedly uses as an improvement. Rather than indulging in not-invented-here
(the other 90%), it might be nice to abstract that portion, define it
properly, and make it configurable.

(some of the commentary in the patch was incorrect, which tends to obscure
what was actually done)

> This is really interesting:

> If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
> you will see rotten output.

> - Underlines are always going to the left end of the window

that's probably one of the details that I indicated for vttest

> - After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
> inverse video.

but this one is a different matter - using the XFree86 xterm terminfo
(which has vt220-style controls) on the Solaris xterm, which used to
emulate at least vt102 (but falls short with the Solaris 9 version).

Perhaps it will all work properly in Solaris 10 (or 9r2, etc).

Thomas Dickey

Oct 8, 2002, 6:10:27 AM10/8/02
Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> john19...@yahoo.com (johny) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
> |my platform is SunOS 5. hardware is Sparc.
> |my xterm, shell window can only support two color display -- black & white.
> |so i can't have colored interface with some softwares.
> |where can i found a terminal software which supports colored display?

> /usr/dt/bin/dtterm or upgrade to Solaris 9 which adds color support to
> Solaris xterm.

well he did say he's running Solaris 5. I've been told that some hardware
won't upgrade to Solaris 8 or 9. And if it's an old box that he doesn't
own, perhaps dtterm isn't an option either.

(it would be nice if OP would followup in these threads ;-)

Joerg Schilling

Oct 8, 2002, 6:36:59 AM10/8/02
In article <ansk8l$pid$1...@news1.radix.net>,

Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
>Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> In article <ansgta$6id$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>> Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>>It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.

>> This is really interesting:

>> If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>> you will see rotten output.
>
>> - Underlines are always going to the left end of the window
>
>that's probably one of the details that I indicated for vttest

The vttest does not reproduce the problem...

>> - After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
>> inverse video.
>
>but this one is a different matter - using the XFree86 xterm terminfo
>(which has vt220-style controls) on the Solaris xterm, which used to
>emulate at least vt102 (but falls short with the Solaris 9 version).
>
>Perhaps it will all work properly in Solaris 10 (or 9r2, etc).

The test has been made on S9 9/02, but it seems obvious that the bug
is on the Linux side. If you use the official terminal description
from Eric Raymond, no problems occur.

Thomas Dickey

Oct 8, 2002, 7:55:49 AM10/8/02
Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>> - Underlines are always going to the left end of the window
>>
>>that's probably one of the details that I indicated for vttest

> The vttest does not reproduce the problem...

When I ran vttest on this a few months ago there was more than one problem
in the first few screens (enough that I didn't bother keeping the executable
for retesting, though I do of course still have the patch). If I have to

>>Perhaps it will all work properly in Solaris 10 (or 9r2, etc).

> The test has been made on S9 9/02, but it seems obvious that the bug
> is on the Linux side. If you use the official terminal description
> from Eric Raymond, no problems occur.

actually it's a copy of one that I wrote.

dlc=u...@cs.cmu.edu

Oct 8, 2002, 9:10:38 AM10/8/02
In article <ansjjn$nl3$1...@news.cs.tu-berlin.de>,

Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>In article <ansgta$6id$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>Alan Coopersmith <al...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.
>
>This is really interesting:
>
>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>you will see rotten output.
>
>- Underlines are always going to the left end of the window
>
>- After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
> inverse video.
>
>This happens if I use the less/more that is on Linux (Uses TERMINFO)
>or with my 'p' ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/p (uses my completely
>stand alone TERMCAP implementation) with the Linux supplied databases.
>
>If you do the same Linux/linux there is no problem.

On Solaris 7 (I have not confirmed Solaris 9) the xterm in /usr/openwin
wants to use a different sequence for exitting standout mode than the
terminfo and termcap specify for "xterm" on RedHat systems. There may be
other salient differences that I do not recall.

If you log into a RedHat system from an xterm on a Solaris system, use
"xterm-r6" for your terminal type and "more", "less", etc. work just
fine.

--
Daryl Clevenger
dlc=use...@cs.cmu.edu

Joerg Schilling

Oct 8, 2002, 11:31:14 AM10/8/02
In article <anulge$7ee$1...@cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
<dlc=use...@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

>>>It's actually based on the Li18nux xterm, not the XFree86 one.
>>
>>This is really interesting:
>>
>>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>>you will see rotten output.
>>
>>- Underlines are always going to the left end of the window
>>
>>- After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
>> inverse video.
>>
>>This happens if I use the less/more that is on Linux (Uses TERMINFO)
>>or with my 'p' ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/p (uses my completely
>>stand alone TERMCAP implementation) with the Linux supplied databases.
>>
>>If you do the same Linux/linux there is no problem.
>
>On Solaris 7 (I have not confirmed Solaris 9) the xterm in /usr/openwin
>wants to use a different sequence for exitting standout mode than the
>terminfo and termcap specify for "xterm" on RedHat systems. There may be
>other salient differences that I do not recall.
>
>If you log into a RedHat system from an xterm on a Solaris system, use
>"xterm-r6" for your terminal type and "more", "less", etc. work just
>fine.

So you confirm a Linux bug.

The official string for exitting standout mode does work also and for this
reason, the official xterm TERMCAP entry does work too.

There is no reason for this Linux specifics.... It looks to me the same as
is a person on Linux write a script that calls "rm --force" instead
of "rm -f".

It is just non-portable....

dlc=u...@cs.cmu.edu

Oct 8, 2002, 12:22:03 PM10/8/02
In article <anuto2$fm8$1...@news.cs.tu-berlin.de>,

Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

>>>This is really interesting:
>>>
>>>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>>>you will see rotten output.
>>>
>>>- Underlines are always going to the left end of the window
>>>
>>>- After more displayes the first prompt, the screen stays
>>> inverse video.
>>>
>>>This happens if I use the less/more that is on Linux (Uses TERMINFO)
>>>or with my 'p' ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/p (uses my completely
>>>stand alone TERMCAP implementation) with the Linux supplied databases.
>>>
>>>If you do the same Linux/linux there is no problem.
>>
>>On Solaris 7 (I have not confirmed Solaris 9) the xterm in /usr/openwin
>>wants to use a different sequence for exitting standout mode than the
>>terminfo and termcap specify for "xterm" on RedHat systems. There may be
>>other salient differences that I do not recall.
>>
>>If you log into a RedHat system from an xterm on a Solaris system, use
>>"xterm-r6" for your terminal type and "more", "less", etc. work just
>>fine.
>
>So you confirm a Linux bug.
>
>The official string for exitting standout mode does work also and for this
>reason, the official xterm TERMCAP entry does work too.

It is coming back to me...I looked at this a few years ago.

On Solaris, the termcap entries for se and ue (rmso and rmul in terminfo)
use the sequence

se=\E[m
ue=\E[m

On RedHat (6.2 and 7.1), "xterm" is actually "xterm-redhat" (which sets kD
and kb) and in turn uses "xterm-xfree86". The "xterm-xfree86" entry contains

se=\E[27m
ue=\E[24m

I have no idea if this is really the xfree86 termcap entry, nor who is
right or wrong in this case. I also see there are other differences between
the entries on the 2 systems, but have no idea what is right or wrong.

--
Daryl Clevenger
dlc=use...@cs.cmu.edu

Thomas Dickey

Oct 8, 2002, 1:19:03 PM10/8/02
dlc=use...@cs.cmu.edu wrote:

> On RedHat (6.2 and 7.1), "xterm" is actually "xterm-redhat" (which sets kD
> and kb) and in turn uses "xterm-xfree86". The "xterm-xfree86" entry contains

> se=\E[27m
> ue=\E[24m

> I have no idea if this is really the xfree86 termcap entry, nor who is
> right or wrong in this case. I also see there are other differences between
> the entries on the 2 systems, but have no idea what is right or wrong.

it's an faq

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_hilite

Kees Damen

Oct 8, 2002, 5:34:47 PM10/8/02
You can use the program eterm see www.eterm.org
I am using this now for several years and it works fine

johny

Oct 9, 2002, 1:25:05 AM10/9/02
hi, i tried eterm, the newest version 0.9.1. but even the step "sh
configure" can't finish smoothly. i will send you a mail later in
which the error picture will be attached.

(i am using solaris 2.5)

thanks,

Timothy Fadden

Oct 9, 2002, 5:11:08 PM10/9/02
There is no such thing as Solaris 5. There is sunos 5.1, 5.2 5.6, 5.7
etc etc. There is Solaris 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 7, 8, 9.
So what does he realy have?

Timothy Fadden

Oct 9, 2002, 5:10:59 PM10/9/02
There is no such thing as Solaris 5. There is sunos 5.1, 5.2 5.6, 5.7
etc etc. There is Solaris 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 7, 8, 9.
So what does he realy have?

Philip Brown

Oct 15, 2002, 3:41:03 PM10/15/02
On 7 Oct 2002 18:25:59 GMT, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
>This is really interesting:
>
>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>you will see rotten output.

unless you set TERM on the linux box to be TERM=xterm-r5

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Joerg Schilling

Oct 16, 2002, 8:34:26 AM10/16/02
In article <slrnaqos4g....@bolthole.com>,

Philip Brown <phi...@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote:
>On 7 Oct 2002 18:25:59 GMT, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
>>This is really interesting:
>>
>>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>>you will see rotten output.
>
>unless you set TERM on the linux box to be TERM=xterm-r5

But this is not what I like to do....

If Linux uses a different TERM than others (or a noticable number
of people) then Linux should rather default to TERM=xterm-r5 and
keep a backward compatible TERM=xterm for other users.

Thomas Dickey

Oct 16, 2002, 11:37:37 AM10/16/02
Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <slrnaqos4g....@bolthole.com>,
> Philip Brown <phi...@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote:
>>On 7 Oct 2002 18:25:59 GMT, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
>>>This is really interesting:
>>>
>>>If you log into Linux from a Solaris xterm and call 'man something'
>>>you will see rotten output.
>>
>>unless you set TERM on the linux box to be TERM=xterm-r5

> But this is not what I like to do....

> If Linux uses a different TERM than others (or a noticable number
> of people) then Linux should rather default to TERM=xterm-r5 and
> keep a backward compatible TERM=xterm for other users.

That's basically what I do. Each terminal emulator sets $TERM to the
correct one (on my home machine, I therefore have xterm-r5, xterm-r6,
color_xterm, rxvt, Eterm, xterm-xfree86). But it seems too complicated
for users to do this (which is why I see random advice to set it to
vt100, linux, xterm-color, xterm).

Philip Brown

Oct 16, 2002, 5:35:44 PM10/16/02
On 16 Oct 2002 12:34:26 GMT, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
>In article <slrnaqos4g....@bolthole.com>,
>Philip Brown <phi...@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote:
>>unless you set TERM on the linux box to be TERM=xterm-r5
>
>But this is not what I like to do....
>
>If Linux uses a different TERM than others (or a noticable number
>of people) then Linux should rather default to TERM=xterm-r5 and
>keep a backward compatible TERM=xterm for other users.

I agree.

Now try convincing the fanatics they should actually stick to standards.
I've tried. It's ugly.
NIH developers decide to rewrite the standards, and then opensource
fanatics conclude, "the linux developer did it this way, it MUST be the
BEST way!"

Actually, it's worse than that. The "xterm FAQ" actually recommands that
if you have [tweaked] xterm installed, and want to keep interoperability
with other hosts, you should adjust the xterm resources so that it
auto-sets the TERM to be xterm-xyz, and keep the system 'xterm' termcap
definition pure.

But the X maintainer of a certain unnamed linux distro is a hothead who doesnt
give a damn about cross-platform compatibility,
or anyone else's way but his own.

(Yet he has the gall to reference the xterm FAQ, still!)

Thomas Dickey

Oct 17, 2002, 7:49:01 AM10/17/02
Philip Brown <phi...@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote:

> But the X maintainer of a certain unnamed linux distro is a hothead who doesnt
> give a damn about cross-platform compatibility,
> or anyone else's way but his own.

> (Yet he has the gall to reference the xterm FAQ, still!)

but at least he responds to email, unlike the so-called maintainers of
other distributions.