Java on Solaris 11

jaybr...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 4:55:29 PM8/24/20
Which versions of Java are supported on Solaris 11? Do all/any require paid licenses?

Thank you.

Steffen Moser

Sep 9, 2020, 5:42:26 PM9/9/20
Hi!

On 24.08.20 22:55, jaybr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Which versions of Java are supported on Solaris 11? Do all/any require paid licenses?
>
> Thank you.

Solaris 11.4 comes with a very long-term supported version of Oracle JDK
8. There seems to be a JDK 11 for Solaris/SPARC available from Oracle…

I've just uploaded a shell script which compiles OpenJDK 9, 10, 11, 12,
13 and 14 on Solaris/x86 11.4 (SRU 23):

https://github.com/sapsDev/java-on-solaris

You'll need Solaris Studio 12.4 in order to build it. It is based on a
script published at [1] and on the information published at [2] and [3].

As OpenJDK of version n needs version n-1 for compilation, the whole
thing takes a while.

Unfortunately, the OpenJDK people seem to have removed Solaris support
beginning with version 15, so OpenJDK 14 seems to be the latest version
available:

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/381
https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/362

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Steffen

[1] https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/building-openjdk-12-using-jdk-8
[2] https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/openjdk-on-solarissparc-v2
[3]
https://notallmicrsoft.blogspot.com/2020/04/building-openjdk-13-and-openjdk-14-on.html

Jay Braun

Sep 9, 2020, 5:56:10 PM9/9/20
Thank you!

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 12, 2021, 3:04:40 AMJun 12
Hi

I have recently acquired a Sun Ultra 60.

I live in Madrid, Spain.

If anyone has any working HW or SW for this machine which He/She wish to
donate it away I would be happy to arrange shipping and put it into good
use.

Here is a short list of what I had in mind:

- Solaris 2.5.1 , 7 , 8, 9 for SPARC Original Boxed SW

- 450MHz CPU Pair for Ultra 60

- SunPCI II Pro Card

- Sun Gigabit (Fibre SX) Network Card

- SCSI Hard Disk (9.1, 18.2 , 36 GB)

- Memory Ram Modules

- Misc PCI Accessories

- External Disk Enclosure w/o Hard Drives - love them near as much as
tape drives -

- Tape Drives Internal and/or External - love tape drives @ lot-

Regards

Viktor