Solaris 10 OS Kernel version 5.10-2008.10 ***How to get it***

underh20

Dec 1, 2009, 2:00:59 PM12/1/09
Our server is running latest kernel patch 141444-09. We need to
upgrade the Oracle to 11G-R2. The following errors keep coming up on
the screen and we cannot proceed with the upgrade.

Could anyone help us in resolving this please ? Thanks, Bill

OS Kernel Version - This is a prerequisite condition to test whether
the system kernel version is at least "5.10-2008.10".

Expected Value : 5.10-2008.10
Actual Value : 5.10-2008.03.24.13.19

List of errors:

- Kernel of proper version is not found on node "atlanta"
[Expected="5.10-2008.10"; Found="5.10-2008.03.24.13.19"]

Drazen Kacar

Dec 1, 2009, 2:36:33 PM12/1/09
underh20 wrote:
> Our server is running latest kernel patch 141444-09. We need to
> upgrade the Oracle to 11G-R2. The following errors keep coming up on
> the screen and we cannot proceed with the upgrade.
>
> Could anyone help us in resolving this please ? Thanks, Bill

Run "runInstaller -help". It will print a list of command line options.
There should be one which causes it to skip OS checks. I forgot the name.

> List of errors:
>
> - Kernel of proper version is not found on node "atlanta"
> [Expected="5.10-2008.10"; Found="5.10-2008.03.24.13.19"]

Is "5.10-2008.10" OpenSolaris kernel version, by any chance?

--
.-. .-. Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely
(_ \ / _) ceremonial.

| da...@fly.srk.fer.hr

Frank Langelage

Dec 1, 2009, 3:52:45 PM12/1/09

Simply look into the installation guide for 11gR2 on Solaris:

4.1 Operating System Requirements

The following are the operating system requirements for Oracle Database
11g Release 2 (11.2):

* Solaris 10 U6 (5.10-2008.10)

To determine the distribution and version of Solaris installed, enter
the following command:

# uname -r
5.10

In this example, the version shown is Solaris 10 (5.10). If necessary,
refer to your operating system documentation for information about
upgrading the operating system.

To determine the update level of Solaris installed, enter the following
command:

$ cat /etc/release

Martha Starkey

Dec 2, 2009, 9:15:50 AM12/2/09
On 12/01/09 15:52, Frank Langelage wrote:
> underh20 wrote:
>> Our server is running latest kernel patch 141444-09. We need to
>> upgrade the Oracle to 11G-R2. The following errors keep coming up on
>> the screen and we cannot proceed with the upgrade.
>>
>> Could anyone help us in resolving this please ? Thanks, Bill

>> OS Kernel Version - This is a prerequisite condition to test whether
>> the system kernel version is at least "5.10-2008.10".
>>
>> Expected Value : 5.10-2008.10
>> Actual Value : 5.10-2008.03.24.13.19
>>

>> List of errors:
>>
>> - Kernel of proper version is not found on node "atlanta"
>> [Expected="5.10-2008.10"; Found="5.10-2008.03.24.13.19"]
>
> Simply look into the installation guide for 11gR2 on Solaris:
>
> 4.1 Operating System Requirements
>
> The following are the operating system requirements for Oracle Database
> 11g Release 2 (11.2):
>
> * Solaris 10 U6 (5.10-2008.10)

that's an odd way to indicate U6. Must be an oracle-ism. U6 is a.k.a.
"Solaris 10 10/08".

> To determine the distribution and version of Solaris installed, enter
> the following command:
>
> # uname -r
> 5.10
>
> In this example, the version shown is Solaris 10 (5.10). If necessary,
> refer to your operating system documentation for information about
> upgrading the operating system.
>
> To determine the update level of Solaris installed, enter the following
> command:
>
> $ cat /etc/release

for U6/Solaris 10 10/08:

Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC
Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Assembled 27 October 2008

Martha Starkey

Dec 4, 2009, 9:23:49 AM12/4/09

Bill,

This is a response to the private email you sent me on this (I like to
keep the discussion in the NG where its belongs and where all can
participate). You asked:

-----
Our /etc/release file has this content :

# cat /etc/release
Solaris 10 5/08 s10s_u5wos_10 SPARC

Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.

Assembled 24 March 2008

Would you know how I can get the server to 10/2008 level ? We
installed the latest Solaris 10 cluster patch but to no avail. Our
server only has one active root file system and there's no CDROM
attached to it.
----

/etc/release shows you the base install of your OS, Solaris 10 U5 a.k.a.
Solaris 10 5/08. This is the build that was originally installed.

The better indicator of kernel level is the uname -a output. You had
indicated that:

>>> Our server is running latest kernel patch 141444-09.

is that the output of "uname -a"? If so, then you are at the *S10
U9/Update 8 level*, at least kernel patch-wise. Perhaps the oracle DB
requires the base install to be S10 U6? just a guess on my part, since I
don't know really. I thought your query was more due to confusion about
Solaris updates and how to determine what you have. Maybe there is more
going on here that meets the eye.

As far as overall questions on upgrading: Live Upgrade, which has disk
space requirements, etc. You could start with the product documentation

docs.sun.com Home > Solaris 10 1/06 Release and Installation Collection
> Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Solaris Live Upgrade and Upgrade
Planning > Overall Planning of Your Solaris Installation or Upgrade >
2. Solaris Installation and Upgrade (Roadmap) > Choosing a Solaris
Installation Method

and there are other how-tos around like:

https://www.sun.com/offers/details/live_upgrade_howto.xml

Perhaps others will respond with their favorite howtos and advice.

HTH,

Martha