Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Randy Yates

unread,
Mar 25, 2005, 1:13:46 PM3/25/05
to
I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
the same thing.

It would be good to hear any comments or experience any of you have on
the suitability of this product to the task.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
randy...@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124

Message has been deleted

Doug McIntyre

unread,
Mar 25, 2005, 1:40:51 PM3/25/05
to
Randy Yates <randy...@sonyericsson.com> writes:
>I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
>porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
>projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
>the same thing.

>It would be good to hear any comments or experience any of you have on
>the suitability of this product to the task.

It depends totally on what APIs you are using, and are trying to do.

MS SFU tries to do at least 4-5 different things.

The first it does is install ActiveState Perl.

Then it makes Windows be a NFS server & client with some way basic NIS
client capabilites for UID mapping.

It also bundles a telnet service, so you could telnet into your
windows box (becuase, you know all those Unix admins just admin things
via telnet ;)

Then it installs a stripped down MKS Tools (or it used to, sounds like
it has another package that does this now), so you can get an 'ls' or
'awk' and/or a 'ksh' that somewhat resembles a unix shell. Much like
the free Cygwin or uwin packages do.

Lastly, it gives you a CHM file documenting the already existing
Windows POSIX API such as it is.


So, other than the NFS server/client code, much of what it does is
already available for free or from other sources. So, if you've
already tried Cygwin or uwin, you already have seen physically what
things look like.

Ian

unread,
Mar 25, 2005, 4:17:27 PM3/25/05
to
Randy Yates wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
> porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
> projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
> the same thing.
>
> It would be good to hear any comments or experience any of you have on
> the suitability of this product to the task.

Why not install Solaris on the PC??

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Mar 25, 2005, 6:27:15 PM3/25/05
to
HI,

Randy Yates wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
> porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
> projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
> the same thing.
>

Ericsson has a huge Sun environment, just a question, why port it to
windows now?

Porting from Unix to Windows was a late 1990 thing, IMHO you should
think the the otherway unless you are a MS/HP employee running /// IT
that is :))


> It would be good to hear any comments or experience any of you have on
> the suitability of this product to the task.

CYGWIN if you really want to do this, and then other guys can easy port
it back :)))


/michael

Jacint JUHASZ

unread,
Mar 26, 2005, 6:04:09 AM3/26/05
to
Michael Laajanen wrote in comp.unix.solaris:

> Randy Yates wrote:
> > I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
> > porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
> > projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
> > the same thing.
> >
> Ericsson has a huge Sun environment, just a question, why port it to
> windows now?

they don't, /// and s/// are not the same ;)
--
yyaazz
[PARENTAL ADVISORY explicit content]


Randy Yates

unread,
Mar 26, 2005, 9:46:14 AM3/26/05
to
Michael Laajanen <michael_...@yahoo.com> writes:

> HI,
>
> Randy Yates wrote:
> > I'm thinking of installing this on my XP machine so that I can try
> > porting the environment I've been using on Solaris for building my
> > projects to the PC, and potentially encouraging our entire group to do
> > the same thing.
> >
> Ericsson has a huge Sun environment, just a question, why port it to
> windows now?

Hi Michael,

As another has posted, Ericsson and Sony Ericsson are not the same
folks. Even within Ericsson, however, there are a variety of
development groups around the world, and I'm pretty sure they all have
different development platforms and methodologies. When I first
started here in RTP, NC at Ericsson in 1998 my manager, Ray Toy, was a
big Solaris guy. I took his lead, and come to know and love the tools
and OS.

> Porting from Unix to Windows was a late 1990 thing, IMHO you should
> think the the otherway unless you are a MS/HP employee running /// IT
> that is :))

After the split from Ericsson, Sony Ericsson has, to my chagrin,
become one of the biggest, most dedicated Microsoft houses you could
imagine. What makes my position even more untenable is that my new
manager is a Microsoft person, and he's really towing the company
Microsoft policy line.

The situation is even further biased by the fact that TI, the vendor
of the development tools we use, has always provided Solaris versions
of their tools in a minimum 6-month lag from the PC versions. And our
current vendor, Ceva, doesn't even make a Solaris version.

My manager has been harping on me for two years now to get off of the
Solaris platform and tools. I'm trying to find a happy medium. Any
help would be appreciated, and sympathies accepted.

Ian

unread,
Mar 27, 2005, 2:25:48 AM3/27/05
to
Randy Yates wrote:
>
> After the split from Ericsson, Sony Ericsson has, to my chagrin,
> become one of the biggest, most dedicated Microsoft houses you could
> imagine. What makes my position even more untenable is that my new
> manager is a Microsoft person, and he's really towing the company
> Microsoft policy line.
>
> The situation is even further biased by the fact that TI, the vendor
> of the development tools we use, has always provided Solaris versions
> of their tools in a minimum 6-month lag from the PC versions. And our
> current vendor, Ceva, doesn't even make a Solaris version.
>
> My manager has been harping on me for two years now to get off of the
> Solaris platform and tools. I'm trying to find a happy medium. Any
> help would be appreciated, and sympathies accepted.

Maybe you could do what we do, run a mixed environment. Some of our
target tools only run on Linux and most of my team like SlickEdit on
windows, so we use Solaris as or develop and test platform (using target
simulators), do our target builds on a Linux box and edit on Windows.

As you can imagine, I can't wait for Janus!

Ian

Michael Laajanen

unread,
Mar 27, 2005, 9:57:25 AM3/27/05
to
HI,

Randy Yates wrote:
> Michael Laajanen <michael_...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>
>>HI,
>>
>
>

> Hi Michael,


> >
> After the split from Ericsson, Sony Ericsson has, to my chagrin,
> become one of the biggest, most dedicated Microsoft houses you could
> imagine. What makes my position even more untenable is that my new
> manager is a Microsoft person, and he's really towing the company
> Microsoft policy line.
>

Gulp, I feel really ashamed as Swede to hear that, /// has been a real
Unix place since the death of VAX.

BTW /// was if I recall it right one of the first VC to found SUN and
was the reseller in SWEDEN in the early days.

> The situation is even further biased by the fact that TI, the vendor
> of the development tools we use, has always provided Solaris versions
> of their tools in a minimum 6-month lag from the PC versions. And our
> current vendor, Ceva, doesn't even make a Solaris version.

I understand these issues, but generally tools are often more mature
once they arrive on Unix, that is after the first fixes arrived on PC,
but I do understand the problem in running Unix when this happends.

As a HW Eng. I did have huge problems when NT 3 arrived, luckilly that
Ultra-1 arrived at that timeframe :) but it is happilly in the past now,
on HW today Linux is the upcommer and EDA vendors push for Linux now.


>
> My manager has been harping on me for two years now to get off of the
> Solaris platform and tools. I'm trying to find a happy medium. Any
> help would be appreciated, and sympathies accepted.

sympathies you have, and I would go Cygwin for those that need to use
NT, that also have the positive effect that everybody is used to Unix
environment when NT is getting replaced in a 2-3 years timeframe with
Unix again in some shape and name :)

But the best motivation for keeping Unix running is the easy of having
multiple development systems on the same WS and installing on one place
for use on many WS with ease, and keeping then running for a long time
which is usually very important.

BTW, You also have a good X-server in Cygwin!

Cheers

Michael


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages