solaris virtual machines

mechanic

Oct 10, 2022, 6:59:23 AM10/10/22
Very annoying that the Sol. 11 Express virtual machines info is
still floating about - waste of time trying to follow those as they
are 12 years out of date. Are there any VMs available that carry the
current Sol 11.4 systems (for x86 machines)? Nothing on the current
Oracle site as far as I can see.

YTC#1

Oct 10, 2022, 9:47:32 AM10/10/22
What, like this?
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61038/gitsf.html

All I did was google :-
solaris 11.4 zones

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

mechanic

Oct 10, 2022, 2:27:13 PM10/10/22
On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:47:27 +0100, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 10/10/2022 11:59, mechanic wrote:
>> Very annoying that the Sol. 11 Express virtual machines info is
>> still floating about - waste of time trying to follow those as they
>> are 12 years out of date. Are there any VMs available that carry the
>> current Sol 11.4 systems (for x86 machines)? Nothing on the current
>> Oracle site as far as I can see.
>
> What, like this?
> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61038/gitsf.html
>
> All I did was google :-
> solaris 11.4 zones

And you got info on Sol 11.4 zones. No iso or ova files that I can
see. Fortunately I found a virtual machine ova file I could down
load (3GB!) That seems to install nicely.

https://www.oracle.com/solaris/solaris11/downloads/solaris11-vm-templates-downloads.html
(Probable needs an Oracle login)

YTC#1

Oct 11, 2022, 12:00:58 PM10/11/22
Well, that was more info about what you were looking for.

I would have thoiught you would just download the ISO, install Solaris
and create a zone. Probably way easier.
https://www.oracle.com/uk/solaris/solaris11/downloads/solaris-
downloads.html

Start VBox
* Install OS
* Install Zone
** zonecfg
** zoneadm

done

John D Groenveld

Oct 11, 2022, 12:37:24 PM10/11/22
In article <ti43vi$14ofd$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>I would have thoiught you would just download the ISO, install Solaris
>and create a zone. Probably way easier.

Pre-built images are easier as they include the preferred extensions.

Presumably this is why Larry Ellison offers them for high-volume,
low-margin operating system deployments for Oracle Cloud.

BTW do Oracle Cloud users still have to upload their Solaris vmdk
or do they exist as tier 1 native options?

John
groe...@acm.org

Cindy Swearingen

Oct 11, 2022, 12:52:37 PM10/11/22
Here's a direct OCI Marketplace link:

https://cloudmarketplace.oracle.com/marketplace/en_US/listing/61750333
Dave Miner has some good tips too:
https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/authors/dave-miner

(Hey All: Nice to "see" everyone!)
Cindy

YTC#1

Oct 13, 2022, 8:09:43 AM10/13/22
On 11/10/2022 17:37, John D Groenveld wrote:
> In article <ti43vi$14ofd$1...@dont-email.me>,
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>> I would have thoiught you would just download the ISO, install Solaris
>> and create a zone. Probably way easier.
>
> Pre-built images are easier as they include the preferred extensions.

Ok, I'm curious as to what these prefered extensions are for VBox?

> Presumably this is why Larry Ellison offers them for high-volume,
> low-margin operating system deployments for Oracle Cloud.
>
> BTW do Oracle Cloud users still have to upload their Solaris vmdk
> or do they exist as tier 1 native options?

I've never used the OCI, as SPARC has never been (fully) included.
Everytime I have had client interested and onprem solution has been offered.

YTC#1

Oct 13, 2022, 8:11:21 AM10/13/22
Not all his links work, eg
<url:https://blogs.oracle.com/dminer/getting-started-with-oracle-solaris-114-on-oracle-cloud-infrastructure-oci>
(why do Oracle like breaking stuff?)

> (Hey All: Nice to "see" everyone!)
> Cindy

<waves>

John D Groenveld

Oct 13, 2022, 11:35:27 AM10/13/22
In article <ti8v61$1ppd5$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>Ok, I'm curious as to what these prefered extensions are for VBox?

The drivers for the VMware virtual video card from pkg.oracle.com
along with the filesystem module for VBox shared folders from
VirtualBox.ORG's guest additions ISO.

John
groe...@acm.org

YTC#1

Oct 13, 2022, 4:41:55 PM10/13/22
Maybe I am just getting old, but adding the VBox guest additions
manually is a no brainer.

Then customize and make your own local image to role out. I'm not
convinced that a pre-created image is needed.

(not enough experience to VMware to comment on that)

John D Groenveld

Oct 14, 2022, 6:37:49 AM10/14/22
In article <ti9t6d$1s95l$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>Maybe I am just getting old, but adding the VBox guest additions
>manually is a no brainer.
>
>Then customize and make your own local image to role out. I'm not
>convinced that a pre-created image is needed.

Neither does Larry Ellison's Solaris marketing managers.

>(not enough experience to VMware to comment on that)

The default configuration for Solaris VBox guest uses the VMware
emulated video device.

John
groe...@acm.org

YTC#1

Oct 14, 2022, 6:52:56 AM10/14/22
So it has extra stuff that isn't needed?

John D Groenveld

Oct 14, 2022, 2:19:13 PM10/14/22
In article <tibf23$22ldf$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>So it has extra stuff that isn't needed?

I dusted off an old Solaris 11 VM.
Looks like you need the vboxms kernel module from VirtualBox.ORG's
SUNWvboxguest package.

John
groe...@acm.org

YTC#1

Oct 15, 2022, 5:49:32 AM10/15/22
I jumpstarted (AI + JET) one, installs and does basics without.
Package can be added to Jumpstart, I still don't see the need for an OVA.

John D Groenveld

Oct 15, 2022, 9:57:14 PM10/15/22
In article <tidvn5$2lgsq$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>I jumpstarted (AI + JET) one, installs and does basics without.
>Package can be added to Jumpstart, I still don't see the need for an OVA.

Unlike Scott McNealy, Larry Ellison hires only the best product marketing
managers.
Ellison's Solaris product managers agree with you.

Given Solaris' EOL I'm shocked by Cindy's report of Solaris VM images
in the Oracle Cloud store. What a waste!

John
groe...@acm.org

YTC#1

Oct 17, 2022, 4:28:36 AM10/17/22
EOL is still abit strong, all that we have listed is End Of Support
(2031/2034) for S11.4. But adding a lack of roadmap for Solaris the
industry has taken it as an EoL with no announcement needed.

As much as will hate to see the demise of Solaris it does still
currenlty live on via illumos etc.

And on the bright side, my career will be over before it disappears
completely :-)

John D Groenveld

Oct 17, 2022, 8:33:32 AM10/17/22
In article <tij3ne$3dcj9$1...@dont-email.me>,
YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>EOL is still abit strong, all that we have listed is End Of Support
>(2031/2034) for S11.4. But adding a lack of roadmap for Solaris the
>industry has taken it as an EoL with no announcement needed.

As the late great Bob Palowoda said, for Scott McNealy "the network
is the computer", for Larry Ellison "the database is the computer".

Ellison has EOLd Solaris support for the database.

Depending on your mood, you might find it funny or sad that because
Ellsion's lawfare against HPQ went sideways, Ellsion is committed
to supporting the database on high-margin, low-volume HP-UX beyond
Solaris.

John
groe...@acm.org

YTC#1

Oct 17, 2022, 2:13:18 PM10/17/22
On 17/10/2022 13:33, John D Groenveld wrote:
> In article <tij3ne$3dcj9$1...@dont-email.me>,
> YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>> EOL is still abit strong, all that we have listed is End Of Support
>> (2031/2034) for S11.4. But adding a lack of roadmap for Solaris the
>> industry has taken it as an EoL with no announcement needed.
>
> As the late great Bob Palowoda said, for Scott McNealy "the network
> is the computer", for Larry Ellison "the database is the computer".
>
> Ellison has EOLd Solaris support for the database.

Yep, that happened a while back.
And no MySQL for Solaris x86 either. SPARC will be next (and then then
MySQL team)

> Depending on your mood, you might find it funny or sad that because
> Ellsion's lawfare against HPQ went sideways, Ellsion is committed
> to supporting the database on high-margin, low-volume HP-UX beyond
> Solaris.

Just more insanity.

But I don't let it get to me now, I can shrug it off and await my
retirement.
What I find hard to shrug off is Solaris being badmouthed :-)