How to change network interface name

xx

Jan 5, 2009, 1:03:08 PM1/5/09
As I want to have two different models(T5220 & V440) of Sparc servers
running into a Veritas cluster, I need to have same interface name. T5220
is using e1000g1 and V440 is using ce0. How to change T5220 network
interface name to ce0?

Is changing /etc/path_to_inst a good way?

Cydrome Leader

Jan 5, 2009, 1:39:06 PM1/5/09
xx <x...@xx.com> wrote:
> As I want to have two different models(T5220 & V440) of Sparc servers
> running into a Veritas cluster, I need to have same interface name. T5220

Are you sure that's even supported?

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

Jan 5, 2009, 1:47:25 PM1/5/09
xx <x...@xx.com> wrote:
> is using e1000g1 and V440 is using ce0. How to change T5220 network
> interface name to ce0?

That would be very, very difficult. The reason the interfaces are different
are because the two machines are using different drivers. This isn't
surpising, since they're two different machines.

> Is changing /etc/path_to_inst a good way?

No.

Why is this needed? Does Veritas demand it? If it's going to trip over
an interface name, then I suspect there's going to be lots of other stuff
that will cause you problems between those two machines.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Wolfgang Ley

Jan 5, 2009, 2:33:24 PM1/5/09
Install a ce network card in the T5220 to get this done. You can't
rename the interface because they are using different hardware (chips)
and the used name (ce vs. e1000g) identifies the driver.

Anything that requires/relies on a certain interface name is seriously
bogus anyway. Please replace that broken software.

Bye,
Wolfgang.

Cydrome Leader

Jan 5, 2009, 4:24:36 PM1/5/09
Wolfgang Ley <wolfga...@sun.com> wrote:
> Install a ce network card in the T5220 to get this done. You can't

ce cards won't work/fit in a 5220

Pete

Jan 5, 2009, 5:57:43 PM1/5/09
Wolfgang Ley wrote:
> Install a ce network card in the T5220 to get this done. You can't
> rename the interface because they are using different hardware (chips)
> and the used name (ce vs. e1000g) identifies the driver.
>
> Anything that requires/relies on a certain interface name is seriously
> bogus anyway. Please replace that broken software.

Oh well, bye bye Oracle RAC & Veritas Cluster at least. Once Solaris
gains the ability to rename interfaces - which is common in other Unixes
- it won't be a problem.

Pete

me

Jan 6, 2009, 12:04:46 AM1/6/09

You don't need to. You can used mixed interfaces in VCS.

Tim Bradshaw

Jan 6, 2009, 7:28:06 AM1/6/09
On Jan 5, 10:57 pm, Pete <ni...@EGGSANDSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Oh well, bye bye Oracle RAC & Veritas Cluster at least.  Once Solaris
> gains the ability to rename interfaces - which is common in other Unixes
> - it won't be a problem.

It would (probably) be a good thing to be able to rename interfaces,
but the amount of testing required would be quite large, I think (who
knows how many things secretly rely on the fact that the interface
name tells you the type?). it would also, obviously, be a really good
thing if these applications did not make such obviously silly
assumptions.

--tim

Darren Dunham

Jan 6, 2009, 1:38:40 PM1/6/09
Tim Bradshaw <tfb+g...@tfeb.org> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 10:57?pm, Pete <ni...@EGGSANDSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Oh well, bye bye Oracle RAC & Veritas Cluster at least. ?Once Solaris

>> gains the ability to rename interfaces - which is common in other Unixes
>> - it won't be a problem.

I haven't touched RAC, but VCS certainly doesn't require that the
interface names be the same on all nodes (although it does simplify the
setup if they are).

You can provide per-node interface names within the IP resource.

> It would (probably) be a good thing to be able to rename interfaces,
> but the amount of testing required would be quite large, I think (who
> knows how many things secretly rely on the fact that the interface
> name tells you the type?). it would also, obviously, be a really good
> thing if these applications did not make such obviously silly
> assumptions.

A long time ago I renamed an interface by renaming the driver binary
(and references to it in path_to_inst and name_to_major). I can't
remember exactly why we were trying that. Everything worked pretty
well. I tried it recently on a S10 box and didn't have the same
success. There were always problems that kept it from working. I think
it's driver-dependent whether this is possible or not (seemed like the
driver name was hard-coded in the binary on my recent attempt).

One of the opensolaris projects will allow interface renaming when
complete. Won't help current S10 users, though.

--
Darren

mbgo...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 7:16:40 PM4/28/15
I have actually done this NIC renaming on Solaris 10 to match the configuration of two Oracle T4-4 servers with a Oracle T5-4 server. Oracle RAC was already running on the T4-4 servers and we purchased a new T5 server as a third node. The network interface names were very different on the T5, yet they must match on every platform.

On the T4-4 servers, network interfaces e1000g0 and e1000g2 are the public network interfaces. The network interfaces e1000g1 and e1000g3 are connected to physically separate private switches for redundancy.

For the public network on the T5-4, I used the virtual interface vnet0, presented from the control domain, and igb2 on the physical network card allocated to the LDOM.

On the T5-4 server, as I have no control over the naming of the virtual network entries in path_to_inst, always starting at vnet0, i had to use e1000g0 to match vnet0. The physical NIC on the I/O LDOM for the public network must be greater than the vnet NIC number, e1000g2 on igb2 in this case, or there would end up being two entries for e1000g0. Locate the current network devices and link the device path to the desired interface name, like indicated below.

# Desired results:
# vnet0 = e1000g0 = public
# igb1 = e1000g1 = priv backup switch
# igb2 = e1000g2 = public
# igb3 = e1000g3 = priv RAC switch

ln -s ../devices/virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0:vnet0 e1000g0
ln -s ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,1:igb1 e1000g1
ln -s ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,2:igb2 e1000g2
ln -s ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,3:igb3 e1000g3

# ls -l /dev/e1*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 66 Apr 8 12:38 /dev/e1000g0 -> ../devices/virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0:vnet0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 Apr 9 08:24 /dev/e1000g1 -> ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,1:igb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 Apr 9 08:27 /dev/e1000g2 -> ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,2:igb2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 Apr 9 08:34 /dev/e1000g3 -> ../devices/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,3:igb3
#

I then manually added an additional line for each e1000g device into /etc/path_to_inst to match the existing vnet and igb configuration entries.

Examples from path_to_inst:

"/virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0" 0 "vnet"
"/virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0" 0 "e1000g"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,1" 1 "igb"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,1" 1 "e1000g"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,2" 2 "igb"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,2" 2 "e1000g"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,3" 3 "igb"
"/pci@440/pci@1/pci@0/pci@8/network@0,3" 3 "e1000g"

Now, all e1000g devices should be available to plumb, and Solaris should retain the configuration following a reconfiguration reboot. I configured my /etc/hostname.e1000gN files and the network interfaces automatically configured as expected. I used IPMP on the public networks.

End result:
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
e1000g0: flags=9040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4,NOFAILOVER> mtu 1500 index 2
inet xxx.xx.xxx.72 netmask fffff800 broadcast xxx.xx.xxx.255
groupname ipmpfog
ether 0:14:4f:f8:e7:95
e1000g0:1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet xxx.xx.xxx.127 netmask fffff800 broadcast xxx.xx.xxx.255
e1000g1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
inet 192.168.200.6 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.200.255
ether a0:36:9f:5e:59:29
e1000g1:5: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
inet 192.168.210.127 netmask fffff800 broadcast 192.168.215.255
e1000g2: flags=9040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4,NOFAILOVER> mtu 1500 index 4
inet xxx.xx.xxx.73 netmask fffff800 broadcast xxx.xx.xxx.255
groupname ipmpfog
ether a0:36:9f:5e:59:2a
e1000g3: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 5
inet 192.168.201.6 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.201.255
ether a0:36:9f:5e:59:2b

This worked for me. I hope this information helps.

Casper H.S. Dik

Apr 29, 2015, 2:40:56 AM4/29/15
mbgo...@gmail.com writes:

>I have actually done this NIC renaming on Solaris 10 to match the configuration
>of two Oracle T4-4 servers with a Oracle T5-4 server. Oracle RAC was already
>running on the T4-4 servers and we purchased a new T5 server as a third node.
>The network interface names were very different on the T5, yet they must match
>on every platform.

Interesting requirement.

If you'd use Solaris 11, there is a simple command that can do this for you:

dladm rename-link ...

E.g., my home system has 4 igb interface, but I renamed them:

% dladm show-phys
LINK MEDIA STATE SPEED DUPLEX DEVICE
wired0 Ethernet up 1000 full igb0
upc0 Ethernet up 1000 full igb3
upc1 Ethernet up 1000 full igb2
wlan0 Ethernet up 1000 full igb1

Perhaps time to upgrade to Solaris 11? Solaris 10 is a 10 year old
operating system, after all.

Casper

YTC#1

Apr 29, 2015, 7:37:26 AM4/29/15
On 29/04/2015 00:16, mbgo...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 5, 2009 at 12:03:08 PM UTC-6, xx wrote:
>> As I want to have two different models(T5220 & V440) of Sparc servers
>> running into a Veritas cluster, I need to have same interface name. T5220
>> is using e1000g1 and V440 is using ce0. How to change T5220 network
>> interface name to ce0?
>>
>> Is changing /etc/path_to_inst a good way?
>

> I have actually done this NIC renaming on Solaris 10 to match the configuration of two Oracle T4-4 servers with a Oracle T5-4 server. Oracle RAC was already running on the T4-4 servers and we purchased a new T5 server as a third node. The network interface names were very different on the T5, yet they must match on every platform.

Why are you answering a query from 2009 ?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

mbgo...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2015, 8:37:35 AM4/29/15
LOL. I updated this old query because when I recently wanted to know how to do this the answer was nowhere to be found. I had to figure it out myself. If I still have need to know, maybe others do as well. Also, our application team is not willing to allow us to upgrade to Solaris 11 at this time. Solaris 10 is still alive and well.

YTC#1

Apr 29, 2015, 1:03:50 PM4/29/15
On 29/04/2015 13:37, mbgo...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 6:37:26 AM UTC-5, YTC#1 wrote:

>>> I have actually done this NIC renaming on Solaris 10 to match the
>>> configuration of two Oracle T4-4 servers with a Oracle T5-4
>>> server. Oracle RAC was already running on the T4-4 servers and
>>> we purchased a new T5 server as a third node. The network
>>> interface names were very different on the T5, yet they must
>>> match on every platform.
>>>

>> Why are you answering a query from 2009 ?
>>

> LOL. I updated this old query because when I recently wanted to
> know how to do this the answer was nowhere to be found. I had to
> figure it out myself. If I still have need to know, maybe others do
> as well. Also, our application team is not willing to allow us to
> upgrade to Solaris 11 at this time. Solaris 10 is still alive and
> well.

Alive and well, but dragging it's heels

John D Groenveld

Apr 29, 2015, 3:27:34 PM4/29/15
In article <mhr2rj$1gs$1...@dont-email.me>, YTC#1 <b...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>Alive and well, but dragging it's heels

Possibly another use case for solaris10 brand zones.

John
groe...@acm.org

danish...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2020, 12:22:28 PM4/9/20
Hello All,

I am unable to rename NIC name in Solaris 11.3 LDOM guest OS.
I have recovered some of the production Solaris 11.3 Servers from T4 to T5 hardware in DR site via UAR image. Once I logged in to the servers, I noticed NIC name started from vnet2 and vent0 has disabled and Oracle cluster require exact IP configuration which is configured on Prod servers.
I tried to enable vnet0 but it's throwing device not found error. if you have any solution please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
Danish Inamdar

YTC#1

Apr 11, 2020, 1:53:36 PM4/11/20
From Solaris Cluster on S10 days, doing a flar of a cluster and
expecting it to work was a no-no.

I'd expect the same with archiveadm.

Tweak the config files maybe ?

Otherwise the only other route with SC is to either rebuild or
de-cluster, create archive, and re-cluster.

One trick that might work (having had some success in the past, is if
you can get the OS to come up then uninstall the SC and re-install,
using new devs.
All scinstall info used at creation is in the logs.

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, Pegaso 650 Trail (x2) one red one grey

Casper H.S. Dik

Apr 21, 2020, 10:03:03 AM4/21/20
danish...@gmail.com writes:

>On Monday, January 5, 2009 at 11:33:08 PM UTC+5:30, xx wrote:
>> As I want to have two different models(T5220 & V440) of Sparc servers
>> running into a Veritas cluster, I need to have same interface name. T522=
>0
>> is using e1000g1 and V440 is using ce0. How to change T5220 network
>> interface name to ce0?
>>=20
>> Is changing /etc/path_to_inst a good way?

>Hello All,

>I am unable to rename NIC name in Solaris 11.3 LDOM guest OS.
>I have recovered some of the production Solaris 11.3 Servers from T4 to T5 =
>hardware in DR site via UAR image. Once I logged in to the servers, I notic=
>ed NIC name started from vnet2 and vent0 has disabled and Oracle cluster re=
>quire exact IP configuration which is configured on Prod servers.
>I tried to enable vnet0 but it's throwing device not found error. if you ha=
>ve any solution please let me know.

There is a command "dladm rename-link.

Not sure if that can work if the link is in use.

At home my Solaris nics are named "wlan0" "wired0" and "isp0".

Long time since I installed and renamed them. Might require a boot
or possibly changing the name in another boot environment (dladm rename-link
has a -R <root> option)

Casper

Nemo

Apr 21, 2020, 11:17:55 AM4/21/20
On 21/04/2020 10:03, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> There is a command "dladm rename-link.

As a side-note I usually try apropos to find infrequently used commands.
I tried "apropos network |grep -i interface" and dladm did not come up
but "apropos interfaces |grep -i data |grep -v curs" found it.
(Sometimes one needs to know beforehand.)

N.

Grant Taylor

Apr 21, 2020, 12:15:30 PM4/21/20
On 4/21/20 8:03 AM, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> There is a command "dladm rename-link.

Thank you for sharing Casper.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Grant Taylor

Apr 21, 2020, 12:16:55 PM4/21/20
On 4/21/20 9:17 AM, Nemo wrote:
> As a side-note I usually try apropos to find infrequently used commands.

I occasionally use apropos.

> I tried "apropos network |grep -i interface" and dladm did not come up
> but "apropos interfaces |grep -i data |grep -v curs" found it.
> (Sometimes one needs to know beforehand.)

However I've found that apropos (on Linux) seems to only search the
description section of man pages. As such, it does not return results
for search terms that appear outside of the description. :-/