Solaris 10 does not find my disk

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Oct 6, 2007, 1:44:04 AM10/6/07

I have here an Ultra 60 equipped with an IBM Harddisk (36 GB). I managed
to install Ubuntu but want to switch to Solaris 10 now. Unfortunately
the Solaris installer only tells me: "No disks found, make sure they
have power and are cabled" and takes me to the shell.

However I could label the disk using format, I could partition it (I set
most of the partitions to unassigned with a size of 0) but it didn't help.

What is necessary to tell Solaris, there *is* a harddisk?

Uwe

Malcolm

Oct 6, 2007, 8:44:51 AM10/6/07

Hi
Boot into rescue mode from the Ubuntu cd and use fdisk to delete all
partitions and then use the 'o' option to create a new empty DOS
partition table.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
up 3 days 22:01, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.15, 0.12

neko

Oct 6, 2007, 11:22:20 AM10/6/07
Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> the Solaris installer only tells me: "No disks found, make sure they
> have power and are cabled" and takes me to the shell.

I had the same problem, and wiping the partitions from linux did not
work. It worked by slicing the disk from a solaris 7 installation cd.

rgrds

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Oct 6, 2007, 12:39:00 PM10/6/07
neko schrieb:

Same here. Ubuntu rescue did not let me make the partition DOS-type so I
used / and ext2. Under Solaris 10 I tried to make the partitioning
manually by creating the / and swap partition and writing the label. Did
not work. I will now try to get some Solaris 7 media.

Uwe

gerryt

Oct 6, 2007, 7:51:09 PM10/6/07
On Oct 6, 9:39 am, Uwe Ziegenhagen <newsgr...@ziegenhagen.info> wrote:
> neko schrieb:
> > Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> >> the Solaris installer only tells me: "No disks found, make sure they
> >> have power and are cabled" and takes me to the shell.
First, dont use a Solaris installer disk... Just a boot CD

> > I had the same problem, and wiping the partitions from linux did not
> > work. It worked by slicing the disk from a solaris 7 installation cd.
> Same here. Ubuntu rescue did not let me make the partition DOS-type so I
> used / and ext2. Under Solaris 10 I tried to make the partitioning
> manually by creating the / and swap partition and writing the label. Did
> not work. I will now try to get some Solaris 7 media.

Good luck finding a Solaris 7 boot CD.
Any SPARC boot CD/DVD should be able to handle this.
The newer the better really. Just boot cdrom -s
from the ok prompt
When you get a # prompt, type format -e
Then label the disk type 0 and quit format.
I'd be surprised if that did not do the trick

Malcolm

Oct 7, 2007, 12:57:48 AM10/7/07

The other option is to boot cdrom -s and run the format command?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

up 4 days 14:16, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.10

Uwe Ziegenhagen

Oct 7, 2007, 6:41:40 AM10/7/07
Malcolm schrieb:

> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:39:00 +0200
> Uwe Ziegenhagen <news...@ziegenhagen.info> wrote:
>
>> neko schrieb:
>>> I had the same problem, and wiping the partitions from linux did
>>> not work. It worked by slicing the disk from a solaris 7
>>> installation cd.
>>>
>>> rgrds
>> Same here. Ubuntu rescue did not let me make the partition DOS-type
>> so I used / and ext2. Under Solaris 10 I tried to make the
>> partitioning manually by creating the / and swap partition and
>> writing the label. Did not work. I will now try to get some Solaris 7
>> media.
>>
>> Uwe
> The other option is to boot cdrom -s and run the format command?

It finally worked! Just the format didn't help, but when I used "label"
Solaris asked me if I wanted to create a new label and autoformat the disk.

Now I am installing Disk 5 of 5, thanks for the help.

Uwe