Shutdown/Power off button for Gnome3 in S11.4

YTC#1

Sep 25, 2020, 6:08:16 AM9/25/20
While the "Oracle Community" is in RO mode thought I'd ask here.

I still use S11.4 as a desktop on occasion, and have learnt to live with
Gnome3. But what I would really really like is a nice shutdown option on
the power button in my menu bar.

I usually have windows open on versions zones/servers and always have to
stop and think carefully before running

sudo poweroff

Anyone have any easy options to activate the function ?

(Yeah, I know, Solaris is not a Desktop OS.....)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 12, 2021, 3:11:38 AMJun 12

Hi

I have recently acquired a Sun Ultra 60.

I live in Madrid, Spain.

If anyone has any working HW or SW for this machine which He/She wish to
donate it away I would be happy to arrange shipping and put it into good
use.

Here is a short list of what I had in mind:

- Solaris 2.5.1 , 7 , 8, 9 for SPARC Original Boxed SW

- 450MHz CPU Pair for Ultra 60

- SunPCI II Pro Card

- Sun Gigabit (Fibre SX) Network Card

- SCSI Hard Disk (9.1, 18.2 , 36 GB)

- Memory Ram Modules

- Misc PCI Accessories

- External Disk Enclosure w/o Hard Drives - love them near as much as
tape drives -

- Tape Drives Internal and/or External - love tape drives @ lot-

Regards

Viktor

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 12, 2021, 3:13:54 AMJun 12

Abandoned_Trolley

Jun 13, 2021, 2:47:27 AMJun 13
I dont have any to give away at the moment, but theres no need to limit
yourself to 36GB with the disk drives - my Ultra 60 has a couple of
176GB Seagate SCA drives which seem to fit in the brackets OK

With that sort of capacity you might not need to worry about external
drive boxes.

AT

Grant Taylor

Jun 13, 2021, 3:10:42 AMJun 13
On 6/13/21 12:47 AM, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> I dont have any to give away at the moment, but theres no need to limit
> yourself to 36GB with the disk drives - my Ultra 60 has a couple of
> 176GB Seagate SCA drives which seem to fit in the brackets OK

What size range did things migrate from narrow only to narrow and wide
to wide only?

I've had problems where wide only drives wouldn't work in a narrow only
system.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Abandoned_Trolley

Jun 13, 2021, 3:19:19 AMJun 13
I dont know.

I just saw some SCA drives for sale on eBay and took a chance.

These drives are physically larger than the standard, but they still fit
in the bracket, and theres plenty of space in the drive cage.

If you're interested you can look up "Seagate Barracuda ST1181677LCV" -
it seems to work OK for me

AT

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 13, 2021, 3:52:59 AMJun 13
Hi

Thanks AT (fred)

Would You mind sharing the brand/model of Your harddrives You are using?
I was trying to limit myself to the model numbers which came in the
Ultra 60 Just The Facts parts list to be sure its compatible with the
SCSI specifications onboard...

However going with an Adaptec PCI SCSI card ( I have no exact model
number ) would be also possible and connect the "newer" and "bigger"
SCSI drives there?

Thanks

Viktor

> AT

and

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 13, 2021, 3:54:01 AMJun 13
Just found You have already shared it Seagate Barracuda ST1181677LCV in
your previous message -- Thanks

Grant Taylor

Jun 13, 2021, 4:03:09 AMJun 13
On 6/13/21 1:52 AM, Viktor Madarasz wrote:
> However going with an Adaptec PCI SCSI card ( I have no exact model
> number ) would be also possible and connect the "newer" and "bigger"
> SCSI drives there?

Be mindful that you might not be able to boot from (drives attached to)
some add-on cards.

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 13, 2021, 4:12:02 AMJun 13
Yes .. I was thinking about that if while I was writing my response :)

I do have to hunt somewhere for old SW or abandonware SW for these Ultra
60's cause without SW not much I will be able to do with it

Like any software which are period accurate ( office suite, publishing
apps, email, database, etc. )

Not much info I saw out there regarding what ran on these systems apart
from the list shared in Just The Facts PDF of Ultra 60 document
outlining some ISV certified apps for these systems / Target Users (
like healthcare, Financial, EDA, etc )

Viktor

Andreas Wacknitz

Jun 15, 2021, 2:56:41 PMJun 15
Am 6/13/21 um 9:52 AM schrieb Viktor Madarasz:
I have a mixture of 146GB and 300GB SCA drives (ST3146707LC, ST330007LC)
running on my SUN Fire E250 which is roughly the same era as your
Ultra-60. So you might be able to use them, too.

Andreas

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 16, 2021, 1:41:39 AMJun 16
Thanks Andreas. I note the drive details.. The E250 is indeed a handsome
little cube :) I was bidding for one at one point but I could not grab
it at that point..

Viktor