How can I quit the OK prompt?

mark

Feb 27, 2007, 5:39:58 AM2/27/07
I pressed Stop-A to go to the OK prompt and re-boot my workstation.

After rebooting, the prompt is still there.

How do I get now out of the prompt?

Thanks.

Mark

Bernd Haug

Feb 27, 2007, 5:54:29 AM2/27/07
mark <jjoyc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get now out of the prompt?

boot RET

lg, Bernd

roman

Feb 27, 2007, 6:07:03 AM2/27/07
On 27 Feb., 11:54, Bernd Haug <h...@berndhaug.net> wrote:

> mark <jjoyce1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > How do I get now out of the prompt?
>
> boot RET

If you want to boot ...

go RET

If you want to get back where you left

Mr. Johan Andersson

Feb 27, 2007, 6:51:38 AM2/27/07

Im not quite sure I follow you here...

You press STOP-A and you get to the ok> prompt
this is just as it should

Then you reboot and the prompt is still there?
HOW do you reboot?
Did you just switch the power off and on?
Did you type boot and hit return?

if you just flicked the power,chances are that your auto-boot? environment
variable is set to false
if it doesnt boot when you type boot and hit return, your boot-device
might be specified wrong...

if a simple boot, i.e.

ok> boot

doesnt run, then what does it return?
give us...

ok> printenv
and
ok> probe-scsi
or
ok> probe-ide
depending on system

/Johan A

mark

Feb 27, 2007, 6:56:18 AM2/27/07

>> How do I get now out of the prompt?
>
> boot RET

will this command reboot my workstation *again*?

Mark

jdh13

Feb 27, 2007, 7:00:06 AM2/27/07

setenv auto-boot? true
reset-all

Bernd Haug

Feb 27, 2007, 7:35:20 AM2/27/07
mark <jjoyc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> will this command reboot my workstation *again*?

Given your question, I assumed that you had not started an OS after the
"reboot" (I think you meant reset) -- if you had actually booted an OS
you should see a login prompt, not the ok prompt.

What I would guess from the symptoms you described is that you went to
initstate 0 (go to firmware), as opposed to 5 (power off) or 6 (reboot).

At that state, boot should reset your hardware, initialize the RAM and
boot. So yes, in a way it will reboot again; as I understand you haven't
booted at all so far in that you haven't started an OS.

I hope I didn't misunderstand you; and I hope I'm not confusing you.

BTW - if you want access for a large and quick collection of man pages
of many systems (including Solaris up to 9, very useful while your
Solaris box is down), you can find it at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

E.g., there's a nice description of runlevels in the manpage of
init(1M). If you run Solaris 10 normally, you might also want to search
for the manpage of svcadm and read about milestones, which are in some
senses "the new runlevels".

Oh, and finally, if you meant just turning the system off once you're at
the ok prompt (which is really how you can "quit" it, otherwise it's just
how the box reacts to not having an OS running), just do a "power-off"
(this will only work if you have a keyboard with a power-on button, if you
don't, you'll have to switch the machine off on the case).

lg, Bernd

Richard B. gilbert

Feb 27, 2007, 8:08:25 AM2/27/07

What leads you to believe that your workstation rebooted?

Normally, rebooting brings up the GUI desktop. I suppose it's possible
for a system to drop to the ok prompt spontaneously but I can't think
what might do it.

mark

Feb 27, 2007, 8:31:05 AM2/27/07
Sequence of events:

1. Stop-A

2. Ok prompt> boot

3. WS reboots

4. I log in

5. OK prompt still there.

What can I do to turn it off????

Mark

Tony Curtis

Feb 27, 2007, 9:11:35 AM2/27/07

How can you login if you're still at the "ok" prompt?
No Solaris is running at this point.

You're sure the shell prompt isn't an "ok" as well?

mark

Feb 27, 2007, 10:00:54 AM2/27/07

> How can you login if you're still at the "ok" prompt?
> No Solaris is running at this point.

The ok prompt pops up when I open a terminal window and log in.

su - myuser
password

then on the ok prompt:

"workstation#147: su myuser succeded for xxx on /dev/pts/13"

How do I turn off that damn thing?

Mark

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

Feb 27, 2007, 10:08:02 AM2/27/07
mark <jjoyc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The ok prompt pops up when I open a terminal window and log in.

Someone has changed your shell prompt to "ok" on your workstation... this
strikes me as perhaps a lame joke, or just foolish administration.

What does "echo $SHELL" tell you?

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

hume.sp...@bofh.ca

Feb 27, 2007, 10:13:22 AM2/27/07
mark <jjoyc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> then on the ok prompt:
>
> "workstation#147: su myuser succeded for xxx on /dev/pts/13"

Okay, I've re-read this, and now I'm even more confused, and I think the
others are, too.

If you've pressed stop-A to get to the OpenBOOT PROM, then you've STOPPED
the operating system, and it's not possible to 'su' to anything.

When you open this "terminal", what are you running? Are you at the
graphical desktop?

Mr. Johan Andersson

Feb 27, 2007, 10:27:18 AM2/27/07

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, mark wrote:

Oo, I guess he has X up and the console is running behind, I've seen this
happen a long time ago, quite annoying when the whole X scrolls up because
of the console messages being written on the screen at the same time as X
is running... I assume he has his console pointed at the wrong device...

Dont remember how I got around that, belive I just started a console
window :-) and that took the output... it was many years ago...

/Johan A

Bernd Haug

Feb 27, 2007, 10:38:33 AM2/27/07
Richard B. gilbert <rgilb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Normally, rebooting brings up the GUI desktop. I suppose it's possible
> for a system to drop to the ok prompt spontaneously but I can't think
> what might do it.

I think you can set a mode where a panic leaves you at ok after syncing;
but then you see a lot more on the screen except ok. ;-/

lg, Bernd

Rainer Beushausen

Feb 27, 2007, 11:18:43 AM2/27/07
Wondering why this happpens. Is dtlogin enabled?
xterm -C should capture the console output as a workaround.
Rainer

tew...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2007, 3:39:39 AM2/28/07

This isn't just a case of syslog logging to the screen?
First, the user logs in and gets a prompt. Then syslog logs the
message to logged in users (default behavior in old versions of
solaris?) This gets appended to whatever's on the terminal, in this
case, his prompt. Hitting enter will supply the user with a fresh
prompt.

This behavior (logging to the screen) can be changed in /etc/
syslog.conf :

>From syslog.conf(4)
The action field indicates where to forward the message.
Values for this field can have one of four forms:

o A comma-separated list of usernames, which indicates
that messages specified by the selector are to be writ-
ten to the named users if they are logged in.

o An asterisk, which indicates that messages specified by
the selector are to be written to all logged-in users.