Gigabit Ethernet Network Card PCI for Sun Ultra 60

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 20, 2021, 4:28:02 AMJun 20
Hi

anyone has experience with Gigabit Ethernet Cards ( PCI ) for Sun Ultra 60?

I do not want to just go and buy a bunch of adapters and see which one
works under Solaris 10, 9 , 8 , 7 ...

As per the reference manual - it only lists one and only gigabit adapter
( fibre channel one but its Ok i have a Fibre-SX to 1000-T converter for
it .. )

Sun Microsystems 501-4373 X1141A 1000B-SX Gigabit Fibre Ethernet PCI NIC
Card

Anyone has any other brand/model recommendations which are known to work:

- in the Sun Ultra 60
- Under Solaris 10 ( has driver support for it) and also preferably with
Solaris 9 and 8 perhaps 7 as well

(( from the reference manual ))
PCI Card Slot Operating Frequencies

■ All Ultra 60 system PCI card slots operate at 32-bit or 64-bit bus widths.
■ Most PCI cards operate at 33 MHz.
■ Cards designed to operate at 66 MHz must be installed in the PCI66 slot.

Note – If you install a 33 MHz PCI card in PCI66 slot 1, refer to the card
manufacturer’s documentation and verify that the card will operate with
an I/O
signaling level of 3.3 volts.

TABLE 4-7 PCI Card Slot Operating Frequencies
PCI Card Slot Operating Frequency or Frequencies Input/Output Signaling
Level

PCI66 Slot 1 (J1301) 66 MHz
33 MHz 3.3 volts 3.3 volts

PCI Slot 2 (J1401) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

PCI Slot 3 (J1501) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

PCI Slot 4 (J1601) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

Regards

Viktor

Doug McIntyre

Jun 23, 2021, 7:07:37 PMJun 23
Viktor Madarasz <viktor.ma...@gmail.com> writes:
>anyone has experience with Gigabit Ethernet Cards ( PCI ) for Sun Ultra 60?

Not offhand with anything that wasn't specificly part of shipping systems.

>I do not want to just go and buy a bunch of adapters and see which one
>works under Solaris 10, 9 , 8 , 7 ...

Back in the day, it was standard to assume only the Sun parts worked,
and using 3rd party/PC parts was usually substandard, and usually not
workable, so I would only look at the Sun NIC cards. There's not
generally a lot of choices out there for that.

>As per the reference manual - it only lists one and only gigabit adapter
>( fibre channel one but its Ok i have a Fibre-SX to 1000-T converter for
>it .. )

>Sun Microsystems 501-4373 X1141A 1000B-SX Gigabit Fibre Ethernet PCI NIC
>Card

NB: ethernet over fiber != Fiber Channel.
That's a whole different ball of wax, involving a lot more things,
part of which Sun would have been very strong in the field at the time.
(And Fiber-Channel is very strongly still going in the appropriate fields).

The one part listed in the manual is most likely the one that would
work. I wouldn't look too far away from the spec'd out version. Its
not like PC-land where just about anything worked. Only specific
things worked for Sun machines, and going off the documentation was derigueur.
There's plenty of X1141A listed on flea-bag.
Converting from SX fiber into something else with some cheap switch
won't be too much of an issue.

--
Doug McIntyre
do...@themcintyres.us

John-Paul Stewart

Jun 23, 2021, 8:49:21 PMJun 23
On 2021-06-23 7:07 p.m., Doug McIntyre wrote:

> The one part listed in the manual is most likely the one that would
> work. I wouldn't look too far away from the spec'd out version. Its
> not like PC-land where just about anything worked. Only specific
> things worked for Sun machines, and going off the documentation was derigueur.
> There's plenty of X1141A listed on flea-bag.
> Converting from SX fiber into something else with some cheap switch
> won't be too much of an issue.

FWIW, the Field Engineer's Handbook also says that the "Gigabit Ethernet
1.0 (GBE/P)", option 1044, part 375-0002 (which is also fibre) is
supported in the U60. So is the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP", options
1150 & 3150, part 501-5902 and that one is twisted pair. (It has a
fibre twin, giving yet another optical option.)

You can browse the PCI subsection of the Ethernet part of the Field
Engineer's Handbook to see if there's one that I've missed:

https://dogemicrosystems.ca/pub/Sun/System_Handbook/Sun_syshbk_V4.1/Devices/Ethernet/ETHER_TOC.html

Viktor Madarasz

Jun 24, 2021, 11:53:59 AMJun 24
On 6/24/21 2:49 AM, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
> So is the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP", options
> 1150 & 3150, part 501-5902 and that one is twisted pair. (It has a
> fibre twin, giving yet another optical option.)

Thanks a lot John Im going after the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP" option.

Rd

Viktor