difference betweeen oshadow and shadow in /etc

Adrian Meier

Apr 27, 2003, 4:37:00 PM4/27/03
Hi all,

whats the difference?

bash-2.05# diff oshadow shadow
bash-2.05# man oshadow
No manual entry for oshadow.
bash-2.05#

thank you

Darren Dunham

Apr 28, 2003, 12:32:41 AM4/28/03

> whats the difference?

oshadow and opasswd are used as temp files by 'passwd'. They may or may
not be used by other passwd file management utilities such as user* or
rpc.ypppasswdd

--
Darren Dunham ddu...@taos.com
Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Gerry T

Apr 28, 2003, 12:00:51 PM4/28/03
Adrian Meier <ad...@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message news:<slrnbaock...@localhost.localdomain>...

> whats the difference?
> bash-2.05# diff oshadow shadow

Apparently there is no difference. Except a time stamp..?

> bash-2.05# man oshadow
> No manual entry for oshadow.

Why should there be a man page? oshadow a temp file created by
programs like "pwconv" and are normally unlinked by end of session.
Unless the session was abnormally terminated..

Adrian Meier

Apr 30, 2003, 7:32:22 AM4/30/03
In article <J92ra.537$L16.84...@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>, Darren Dunham wrote:

> Adrian Meier <ad...@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>
> oshadow and opasswd are used as temp files by 'passwd'. They may or may
> not be used by other passwd file management utilities such as user* or
> rpc.ypppasswdd

Thank you very much.

kind regards

Adrian

Adrian Meier

Apr 30, 2003, 7:34:24 AM4/30/03
In article <bff0f017.0304...@posting.google.com>, Gerry T wrote:
> Adrian Meier <ad...@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message news:<slrnbaock...@localhost.localdomain>...
>
> Why should there be a man page? oshadow a temp file created by
> programs like "pwconv" and are normally unlinked by end of session.
> Unless the session was abnormally terminated..
I didnt abnormally terminate my action with useradd!