Samba 'force user' on Solaris 11

ham_b...@yahoo.com

Feb 12, 2015, 3:23:29 PM2/12/15
We are moving from Solaris 10 to Solaris 11. Many of our Samba shares
under Solaris 10 use the 'force user' and 'force group' options to set
the default ownership for new files. Is there any way to do the equivalent
with the Samba service and ZFS Samba shares under Solaris 11? I haven't
seen anything in the documentation that provides this feature.

cindy.sw...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 6:29:07 PM2/18/15
Hey Ham,

Solaris 11 includes SMB server and client services to share files. I'm not familiar with Samba's force user feature. I believe that when you map a share to a Window system, it is for a specific user. When that user creates files, they will be owned by that user.
Here's the SMB doc:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36832/index.html

Is there a reason why files in your S10 Samba environment are not owned by a specific user when they are created?

Thanks, Cindy

oscar.d...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 10:33:39 AM2/20/15
If you install the "samba" package, the configuration should be the same as before. Just use the samba package instead of ZFS smb.

pkg install samba
vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
svcadm enable winbind samba