Create a Solaris 10 10/08 DVD to deploy a flash archive

ker...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2008, 1:51:29 PM11/24/08
Hi people,

I just wanted to share some info how to create a Solaris 10 10/08
SPARC DVD to deploy a flash archive.

Since 10/08 on SPARC uses boot archives during boot process, the
process to create a bootable DVD to deploy a flash archive also has
changed.

I will only highlight the steps, so you need some basic knowledge in
this area to successfully build your own DVD...

I assume you are creating this bootable DVD on a Solaris 10 10/08
SPARC installed host.

A # indicates a shell command.

1. Download the Solaris 10 10/08 SPARC DVD iso from sun.com

2. Extract slice 0 from the DVD (From 10/08, the only slice containing
data).

# dd if=iso/sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso of=<extracted_slice_0>
count=5197439

3. Create loop back device for the file created in step 2.

# lofiadm -a `<full_path_to_extraced_slice_0_file>`
(Notice the lofi device echoed on screen)

4. Mount the loop back device.

mount -o ro -F hsfs /dev/lofi/<instance> <tempdir_1>

5. Create a writable copy of the mounted filesystem in step 4.

# mkdir <tempdir_2>
# cd <tempdir_1>
# /usr/sfw/bin/gtar cf - . | (cd <tempdir_2>; /usr/sfw/bin/gtar xf -)

6. Modify/Create the rules.ok, a profile file and any Begin/Finish
scripts in <tempdir_2>/.install_config.

The profile file should point out the flash archive in step 6.5

6.5 Remove all files (packages) in <tempdir_2>/Solaris_10/Product/

Put your flash archive in the Product directory.

7. Unpack the boot.archive file (Previously slice 1 on the DVD)

#/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack <tempdir_2>/boot/
sparc.miniroot <tempdir_3>

The previously command will not exit gracefully due to internal
errors. Unmount any temp directories mentioned in the output.

8. Modify <tempdir_3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind

See page 9 in http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6991.pdf

9. Modify/Create <tempdir_3>/sparc.miniroot_dir/etc/sysidcfg to suite
your needs.

Change attributes to 755

# chmod 755 <tempdir_3>/sparc.miniroot_dir/etc/sysidcfg

10. Create a new boot archive file

# /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack <tempdir_2>/sparc.miniroot
<tempdir_3>

11. Copy the CORRECT bootblock to use, to your base directory, where
you have created your temp directories.

# cp <tempdir_3>/boot/hsfs.bootblock <your base directory>

12. Create the new iso file

# mkisofs -r -omit-period -allow-leading-dots -full-iso9660-
filenames -d -sparc-boot ... -G hsfs.bootblock -o
<file_name_of_new_iso> -volid Solaris <tempdir_2>

That's It!
Hope I didn't mixed up the directories or any info!

Burn the iso file with any burning software you usually uses.

Regards,
/D

Roland Titze

Nov 25, 2008, 3:46:01 AM11/25/08
>    See page 9 inhttp://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6991.pdf

> 9. Modify/Create <tempdir_3>/sparc.miniroot_dir/etc/sysidcfg to suite
> your needs.
>
>    Change attributes to 755
>
>   # chmod 755 <tempdir_3>/sparc.miniroot_dir/etc/sysidcfg
>
> 10. Create a new boot archive file
>
>   # /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive  pack <tempdir_2>/sparc.miniroot
> <tempdir_3>
>
> 11. Copy the CORRECT bootblock to use, to your base directory, where
> you have created your temp directories.
>
>   # cp <tempdir_3>/boot/hsfs.bootblock <your base directory>
>
> 12. Create the new iso file
>
>   # mkisofs -r -omit-period -allow-leading-dots -full-iso9660-
> filenames -d  -sparc-boot ... -G hsfs.bootblock -o
> <file_name_of_new_iso> -volid Solaris <tempdir_2>
>
> That's It!
> Hope I didn't mixed up the directories or any info!
>
> Burn the iso file with any burning software you usually uses.
>
> Regards,
> /D

Hi /D,

thanks for sharing this interesting information with us!
I have 1 comment to step 2 and 1 question to step 12.

- To Step 1:
I was able to use

# lofiadm -a /temp/images/sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
/dev/lofi/1
# mount -o ro -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt

So I think we can skip the creation if the image
<extracted_slice_0>.

- To Step 12:
According to "man mkisofs" the option -sparc-boot needs
a list of boot images, e.g.

-sparc-boot img_sun4c,img_sun4m,img_sun4d,img_sun4u,img_sun4v

Would you please provide the full mkisofs command with all
parameters and options. I would be also interested in how you
has created these architecture dependent boot images or how
you has extraced these boot images from Suns ISO image?

--
Thanks
Roland

ker...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2008, 7:55:50 AM11/25/08
You're right. Your solution is simplier.

> - To Step 12:
> According to "man mkisofs" the option -sparc-boot needs
> a list of boot images, e.g.
>
> -sparc-boot img_sun4c,img_sun4m,img_sun4d,img_sun4u,img_sun4v
>
> Would you please provide the full mkisofs command with all
> parameters and options. I would be also interested in how you
> has created these architecture dependent boot images or how
> you has extraced these boot images from Suns ISO image?

From 10/08, the architecture dependent boot images are not longer
needed, since the
bootloader has been altered (my conclusions, though...)

If you print the VTOC of the iso, the slices 2-6 on the 10/08 will
look exactly as slice0.
That's why we need to use mkisofs exactly as I stated above, with -
sparc-boot ... , which which
create links from slices 2-6 to point at slice 0.

Regards,

> --
> Thanks
> Roland

manuel...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2008, 3:12:16 PM12/9/08
On 24 nov, 19:51, ker...@gmail.com wrote:
> #/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive  unpack <tempdir_2>/boot/
> sparc.miniroot <tempdir_3>
>
> The previously command will not exit gracefully due to internal
> errors. Unmount any temp directories mentioned in the output.
>
> 8. Modify <tempdir_3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind
>
>    See page 9 inhttp://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6991.pdf

I use similar method, but my problem is that profind is not an
editable script,
but some king of data file. The file begin with Zcmp, but it is not a
compress or
gzip file. In Solaris U5 profind, sysidfind and other files that were
editable scripts.

How can edit and modify these files Solaris U6?.

Regards.

Roland Titze

Dec 10, 2008, 5:38:52 AM12/10/08

Hi Manuel,

the file /usr/sbin/install.d/profind in Sol. 10 U6 is part of the
miniroot
archive /boot/sparc.miniroot. You have to use the command

/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack <tempdir2>/boot/sparc.miniroot
<tempdir3>

to extract the file in <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind.
If I use this way I get a writable scipt <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/
profind.

# file <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind
<tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind: executable /usr/bin/sh script

The permission and ownership of this file is
-rwxr-xr-x root sys

Do you have performed these steps?
What command you are using to determine the file type?

--
BR
Roland

manuel...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2008, 8:52:18 AM12/10/08
On 10 dic, 11:38, Roland Titze <news...@online.de> wrote:
> On 9 Dez., 21:12, manuel.dev...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On 24 nov, 19:51, ker...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > #/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive  unpack <tempdir_2>/boot/
> > > sparc.miniroot <tempdir_3>
>
> > > The previously command will not exit gracefully due to internal
> > > errors. Unmount any temp directories mentioned in the output.
>
> > > 8. Modify <tempdir_3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind
>
> > >    See page 9 inhttp://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6991.pdf
>
> > I use similar method, but my problem is that profind is not an
> > editable script,
> > but some king of data file. The file begin with Zcmp, but it is not a
> > compress or
> > gzip file. InSolarisU5 profind,sysidfindand other files that were

> > editable scripts.
>
> > How can edit and modify these files  SolarisU6?.
>
> > Regards.
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
> the file /usr/sbin/install.d/profind in Sol.10U6is part of the

> miniroot
> archive /boot/sparc.miniroot. You have to use the command
>
> /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack <tempdir2>/boot/sparc.miniroot
> <tempdir3>
>
> to extract the file in <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind.
> If I use this way I get a writable scipt <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/
> profind.
>
> # file <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind
> <tempdir3>/usr/sbin/install.d/profind:   executable /usr/bin/sh script
>
> The permission and ownership of this file is
> -rwxr-xr-x root sys
>
> Do you have performed these steps?
> What command you are using to determine the file type?
>
> --
> BR
> Roland- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Hi Roland,

I am working with sparc DVD 10/08 , and use this command

/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack sparc.miniroot unpack

and after unpack files sysidcfg and profind

file unpack/sbin/sysidfind
sysidfind: data

file usr/sbin/install.d/profind
usr/sbin/install.d/profind: data

root_archive finish whitout errors: echo $? = 0

any idea that where is the problem?.

manuel...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2008, 1:46:31 PM12/10/08
On 10 dic, 14:52, manuel.dev...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Roland,
>
> I am working with sparc DVD10/08 , and use this command

> /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack sparc.miniroot unpack
>
> and after unpack files sysidcfg andprofind
>
> file unpack/sbin/sysidfind
> sysidfind:      data
>
> file usr/sbin/install.d/profind
> usr/sbin/install.d/profind:     data
>
> root_archive finish whitout errors: echo $? = 0
>
> any idea that where is the problem?.

Hi,

I discover the problem: fiocompress tools was not
installed.
Without this tools, root_archive doesn't uncompress
file in sparc.miniroot.

regards.

Daniel Caminada

Dec 11, 2008, 9:22:30 AM12/11/08

D'oh!

I did the same mistake as Roland and tried to burn my modified SPARC
10/08 disk with a script containing the old mkisofs command I used
with the previous releases...
What ended up with a non bootable disc:

===
Executing last command: boot cdrom - install
Boot device: /pci@83,4000/ide@d/cdrom@0,0:f File and args: - install
Boot load failed.
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
===

Thanks a lot D, you made my day ;-)

nada

Paul

Jan 20, 2009, 6:27:02 PM1/20/09
On Dec 12 2008, 1:22 am, Daniel Caminada <daniel.camin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Roland,
Thanks for the information it has taken me a lot farther in a day than
I have been for weeks on this one. However I am having a problem with
the iso I built. I can boot off the disk but then it will not mount.
Because of this it will not look at the rules or the flash archive
files. I also noticed when I viewed the disk on a windows box that
the file names and directory names were capitalized.

Any Idea what I might be doing wrong in both cases

The mkisofs command I am using is:
mkisofs -r -omit-period -allow-leading-dots -full-iso9660-filenames -d
-sparc-boot ... /scratch/ansasun14/iso/s0/hsfs.bootblock -o scratch/
ansasun14/iso/MLCOS.iso -volid MLCOS /scratch/ansasun14/iso/s0

Cheers,
Paul

Roland Titze

Jan 22, 2009, 2:09:05 AM1/22/09

Hi Paul,

see your other posting to this issue ...

--
BR
Roland