Single User mode fails

201 views
Skip to first unread message

ken Benson

unread,
Feb 20, 2002, 11:26:01 PM2/20/02
to
Any help would be great ... I have an OpenServer 5.0.5 system and if/when I
enter the root password at the Ctrl-D prompt, the system will NOT enter
single user mode.

If I type Ctrl-D, the system will go to multi-user mode. If I use the init
1 command to try to get into single user mode, I get right back into the
cycle ... I'm at the Ctrl-D prompt again.

A variation on this (and I'm not sure how I caused this) ... sometimes when
I'm at the Ctrl-D prompt and enter the root password, I get a prompt to
Enter the run level (0-6, s or S) ... but neither 1 or s will work ... #2
will work, however.

I've searched the technical articles and did not find any pertinent TA's for
this problem ... please help...

Ken Benson
ken spam at bkenbenson.com
remove the spam for email address ... thank you...


Thank you for any help ...


Roberto Zini

unread,
Feb 21, 2002, 2:53:08 AM2/21/02
to

Try to get to multi-user mode and, once logged in as root, delete
the /etc/ioctl.syscon file; next, try again to boot into single
user mode.

Best,
Roberto
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Roberto Zini email : r.z...@strhold.it
Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

ken Benson

unread,
Feb 21, 2002, 6:34:04 AM2/21/02
to
That didn't work.


Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
news:3C74A764...@strhold.it...

Roberto Zini

unread,
Feb 22, 2002, 4:44:06 AM2/22/02
to

Uhm ... what about the devices under /dev with major nb = 3 and minor
nb = 1 ? There should be 3 of 'em, namely:

/dev/console
/dev/syscon
/dev/systty

Are you in the position to check if __all__ of 'em have major 3 and
minor 1 ?

ken Benson

unread,
Feb 22, 2002, 10:50:00 PM2/22/02
to
Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
news:3C7612E6...@strhold.it...

Someone else suggested that off-line and I've looked ... all three are there
and have major:3 and minor:1 ... with an inode of 0 (which I thought was a
little strange!)


Bill Vermillion

unread,
Feb 22, 2002, 11:30:10 PM2/22/02
to
In article <IjEd8.10077$%D5.2...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>,

ken Benson <ken_n...@bkenbenson.com> wrote:
>Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
>news:3C7612E6...@strhold.it...
>> ken Benson wrote:
>> >
>> > That didn't work.

[lotsa stuff deleted - wjv]

>> > > Try to get to multi-user mode and, once logged in as root, delete
>> > > the /etc/ioctl.syscon file; next, try again to boot into single
>> > > user mode.

>> Uhm ... what about the devices under /dev with major nb = 3 and minor
>> nb = 1 ? There should be 3 of 'em, namely:

>> /dev/console
>> /dev/syscon
>> /dev/systty

>> Are you in the position to check if __all__ of 'em have major 3 and
>> minor 1 ?

>Someone else suggested that off-line and I've looked ... all three


>are there and have major:3 and minor:1 ... with an inode of 0
>(which I thought was a little strange!)

Inode 0 is more than strange it should be impossible.

Lowest inode is 2. I forget why what was once 1 in the very first
systems gave way to 2.


--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Roberto Zini

unread,
Feb 25, 2002, 7:18:41 AM2/25/02
to
ken Benson wrote:
>
> Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
> news:3C7612E6...@strhold.it...
> > ken Benson wrote:
> > >

[snip]

> >
> > Uhm ... what about the devices under /dev with major nb = 3 and minor
> > nb = 1 ? There should be 3 of 'em, namely:
> >
> > /dev/console
> > /dev/syscon
> > /dev/systty
> >
> > Are you in the position to check if __all__ of 'em have major 3 and
> > minor 1 ?
> >
>

> Someone else suggested that off-line and I've looked ... all three are there
> and have major:3 and minor:1 ... with an inode of 0 (which I thought was a
> little strange!)

Could you please post the resulf of the following command:

ls -lai /dev/console /dev/syscon /dev/systty

ken Benson

unread,
Feb 26, 2002, 9:55:07 PM2/26/02
to

Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
news:3C7A2BA1...@strhold.it...

> ken Benson wrote:
> >
> > Roberto Zini <r.z...@strhold.it> wrote in message
> > news:3C7612E6...@strhold.it...
> > > ken Benson wrote:
> > > >
>
> [snip]
>
> > >
> > > Uhm ... what about the devices under /dev with major nb = 3 and minor
> > > nb = 1 ? There should be 3 of 'em, namely:
> > >
> > > /dev/console
> > > /dev/syscon
> > > /dev/systty
> > >
> > > Are you in the position to check if __all__ of 'em have major 3 and
> > > minor 1 ?
> > >
> >
> > Someone else suggested that off-line and I've looked ... all three are
there
> > and have major:3 and minor:1 ... with an inode of 0 (which I thought was
a
> > little strange!)
>
> Could you please post the resulf of the following command:
>
> ls -lai /dev/console /dev/syscon /dev/systty
>
> Best,
> Roberto
>

# ls -lai /dev/console /dev/syscon /dev/systty
34025 crw------- 3 bin terminal 3, 1 Feb 26 12:21 /dev/console
34025 crw------- 3 bin terminal 3, 1 Feb 26 12:21 /dev/syscon
34025 crw------- 3 bin terminal 3, 1 Feb 26 12:21 /dev/systty
#

Roberto Zini

unread,
Mar 4, 2002, 3:59:50 AM3/4/02
to

Well, I've got the same values here on an running machine so it's not
an issue related to the above devices.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas now :-(

Steve Fabac

unread,
Mar 4, 2002, 10:18:00 AM3/4/02
to

Take a look at /etc/passwd and check to be sure that root's shell
is /bin/sh. I have seen single user mode fail when a client had changed
root's shell to scosh.


>
> --
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Roberto Zini email : r.z...@strhold.it
> Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
> (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

--

Steve Fabac
S.M. Fabac & Associates
816/765-1670

ken Benson

unread,
Mar 5, 2002, 11:22:46 PM3/5/02
to
Steve Fabac <smf...@att.net> wrote in message
news:3C833BC0...@att.net...


the root login in /etc/passwd does not have any shell.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages