TCP/IP disconnects

Ken Benson

May 6, 2002, 2:21:16 PM5/6/02
I have a customer site that is experiencing telnet disconnects during telnet
sessions.

He is connected to the Internet via a router and we are able to connect to
his system via the Internet, but our sessions are terminated shortly after
logging in.

He has a windows box in his store and he is having the same problem with it
... he gets disconnected abnormally during the session.

He initiated a telnet session from the windows box to a machine here in our
headquarters (through the same router) and that connection did not get
disrupted abmormally ... he was able to maintain it for over an hour.

We are prettu sure the problem is either with the OS (OpenServer 5.0.6) or
with the network hardware (3com-3c905C NIC).

Important note: This it not idle timeout - unless "idle" is malfunctioning
... the disconnect happens within seconds of getting a # prompt and happens
regardles of activity.

Anyone have any ideas?

Neal Murphy

May 6, 2002, 2:28:56 PM5/6/02
Ken Benson wrote:

> I have a customer site that is experiencing telnet disconnects during telnet
> sessions.

> Anyone have any ideas?

It he connected via DSL? If so, it's likely using PPPoE, and the MAXMTU
setting might need to be lowered to 1492. This cause me no end of
headaches for a while.

Fest3er

Ken Benson

May 6, 2002, 8:48:21 PM5/6/02

"Neal Murphy" <neal.p...@alum.wpi.edu> wrote in message

Thanks for all the great ideas - but we found a problem ... The complete
configuration is the SCO box, 2 Win98 boxes, an NT box and an XP box.

The NT Box and the XP box were on the same IP address ... when we corrected
this, everything started working correctly.

Ken

Neal Murphy

May 7, 2002, 7:07:42 PM5/7/02
Ken Benson wrote:

> The NT Box and the XP box were on the same IP address ... when we corrected
> this, everything started working correctly.

In the immortal word of Homer, "Doh!"