Rcmd's from a Sco box to a Linux box

Reaper

Mar 13, 2002, 12:12:05 PM3/13/02
Can Any one help?

I have a Sco Openserver 5.0.6 server and a Redhat Linux 7.2 server.

I need to run commands automatically on the Linux box from the root account
on the Sco server (I don't have to be root on the Linux box).

I have set up /etc/hosts.equiv on the sco box to have the one line
(apollo.office.gdlan - Fully Qualified name of the Linux server) and I have
set-up the /etc/hosts.equiv on the Linux box with unix.office.gdlan.

on the Sco box as root I get the following

[unix] # rsh apollo ls
apollo: apollo: cannot open

and on the Linux box I as root I get
[root@apollo root]# rsh unix ls
Permission denied.

Am I missing something or do the r commands not work between Sco and
Linux????

Jeremy Onion

Stuart J. Browne

Mar 13, 2002, 4:51:19 PM3/13/02

"Reaper" <jer...@naturalcollection.com> wrote in message

The 'r' commands work fine (assuming 'rsh' etc. is turned on on the Linux
box). Your problem lies in the fact you are trying to do it as 'root'. By
default, RH Linux doesn't allow you to 'rsh' in as root. You need to modify
/etc/pam.d/rsh, and comment out the 'securetty' line.

bkx

Jeremy Onion

Mar 14, 2002, 6:08:09 AM3/14/02
Its OK I have fixed it.

I had not started the servers correctly. I have removes the securetty file
for now as there is no route in to our network from the out-side (I will put
it back Very soon).

The Only proble Remaining is that the rcmd command does not appear to be on
the Linux box. Guess I had better hunt around for it.

thanx for the advice.
"Stuart J. Browne" <stu...@promed.com.au> wrote in message

Stuart J. Browne

Mar 14, 2002, 6:53:59 PM3/14/02

"Jeremy Onion" <jer...@naturalcollection.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> > > [unix] # rsh apollo ls
> > > apollo: apollo: cannot open
> > >

> > > and on the Linux box I as root I get
> > > [root@apollo root]# rsh unix ls
> > > Permission denied.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something or do the r commands not work between Sco and
> > > Linux????
> >
> > The 'r' commands work fine (assuming 'rsh' etc. is turned on on the
Linux
> > box). Your problem lies in the fact you are trying to do it as 'root'.
> By
> > default, RH Linux doesn't allow you to 'rsh' in as root. You need to
> modify
> > /etc/pam.d/rsh, and comment out the 'securetty' line.
>

> Its OK I have fixed it.
>
> I had not started the servers correctly. I have removes the securetty
file
> for now as there is no route in to our network from the out-side (I will
put
> it back Very soon).
>
> The Only proble Remaining is that the rcmd command does not appear to be
on
> the Linux box. Guess I had better hunt around for it.
>
> thanx for the advice.

Under SCO, it's 'rcmd'. Under Linux, it's 'rsh'.

'rxexc' lives on both, as does 'rcp'.

bkx