scohelphttp and nsfast

2 views
Skip to first unread message

David Avnaim

unread,
Oct 11, 2000, 1:25:03 AM10/11/00
to
Both of the above are supposed to start when UnixWare boots. However, in our
case, it is spotty at best. Sometimes the scohelp will start, but port 80
won't and vice versa. Does anyone know exactly how these two programs are
supposed to run so that they start every time automatically when the server
restarts? Right now I am having to issue start commands manually after boot.
Thanks.


Crossfire

unread,
Oct 11, 2000, 2:36:03 AM10/11/00
to
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 05:25:03 GMT,
the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

] Both of the above are supposed to start when UnixWare boots. However, in our

huh...I've never had problems with this on my UW7.1.1 box (which version
and patchlevel are you using?). Is there anything showing up in your
syslog? On the console during boot? On the face of it it sounds like
they need to start up later than they are...maybe they need to be demoted
to later in the rc script heirarchy for you.


Jon Reid
========================================================================
Email: jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com Web: http://www.apeiros.com/~jon
(DeSPAM my email to contact me.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember the very thing that I do not wish to;
I cannot forget the things I wish to forget. Cicero
========================================================================

David Avnaim

unread,
Oct 11, 2000, 10:08:28 PM10/11/00
to
I think we're going the same direction with this. We did try putting them
later in the rc script and that didn't clear the problem.

The messages during boot say that everything is starting, however, it never
does echo "listening on port [80,457] as nobody."

"Crossfire" <jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8u82id.ah...@olethros.apeiros.com...

Crossfire

unread,
Oct 12, 2000, 12:01:26 AM10/12/00
to
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:08:28 GMT,

the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

] I think we're going the same direction with this. We did try putting them


] later in the rc script and that didn't clear the problem.
]
] The messages during boot say that everything is starting, however, it never
] does echo "listening on port [80,457] as nobody."

Hum. Just to make sure you've done this...you have to enable nsfast for
it to start automatically at each boot by issuing the command nsfast enable.

Do you get any relevant messages at startup at all? Or is it like nsfast
isn't being executed at all?

And what version of UW are you running again?

David Avnaim

unread,
Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
to
The messages we get at startup are not errors, but, they do not show that
the services are listening on port as nobody.

We have issued the command nsfast enable.

Our UW version is 7.1.1.

Would you mind e-mailing me the text of your two startup scripts (i.e.
Sxxnsfast-80 and Sxxscohelp)? Thanks.

"Crossfire" <jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com> wrote in message

news:slrn8uadsc.jv...@olethros.apeiros.com...

Crossfire

unread,
Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
to
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:38:34 GMT,

the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

] The messages we get at startup are not errors, but, they do not show that


] the services are listening on port as nobody.

So I take it you don't get any messages at all concerning scohelp or
nsfast? Or do they say they're starting and they don't?

] We have issued the command nsfast enable.

I figured you had, I just wanted to check.

] Our UW version is 7.1.1.


]
] Would you mind e-mailing me the text of your two startup scripts (i.e.
] Sxxnsfast-80 and Sxxscohelp)? Thanks.

Okie.


Jon Reid, reading his news via the webtop. Yeah, baby.

David Avnaim

unread,
Oct 12, 2000, 8:11:54 PM10/12/00
to
We moved the two script files to load last in rc2.d. Now it loads as it
should and everything is fine. Thanks for all your help. I think the Compaq
EFS stuff was interfering.

"Crossfire" <jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com> wrote in message

news:slrn8uci9f.sv...@olethros.apeiros.com...
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:38:34 GMT,


> the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:
>

> ] The messages we get at startup are not errors, but, they do not show
that
> ] the services are listening on port as nobody.
>
> So I take it you don't get any messages at all concerning scohelp or
> nsfast? Or do they say they're starting and they don't?
>
> ] We have issued the command nsfast enable.
>
> I figured you had, I just wanted to check.
>
> ] Our UW version is 7.1.1.
> ]
> ] Would you mind e-mailing me the text of your two startup scripts (i.e.
> ] Sxxnsfast-80 and Sxxscohelp)? Thanks.
>
> Okie.
>
>
> Jon Reid, reading his news via the webtop. Yeah, baby.

Crossfire

unread,
Oct 13, 2000, 12:16:16 AM10/13/00
to
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:11:54 GMT,

the Lovely and Talented David Avnaim <dav...@home.com> wrote:

] We moved the two script files to load last in rc2.d. Now it loads as it


] should and everything is fine. Thanks for all your help. I think the Compaq
] EFS stuff was interfering.

You should diff the files to make sure you understand what the EFS broke
(and hopefully why) JIC.

Glad to be of help.


Jon Reid


========================================================================
Email: jonLU...@MEATapeiros.com Web: http://www.apeiros.com/~jon
(DeSPAM my email to contact me.)

========================================================================

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages