Serial port / modem

ken Benson

Feb 22, 2002, 11:17:46 PM2/22/02
I'm having a problem with a customer supplied Hewlett Packard PC running SCO
OpenServer 5.0.6. The problem is that although we can access the serial
port / modem for dialing out just fine ... we are unable to connect reliably
when dialing in to this machine.

We are using US Robotics 56K modems on /dev/tty1A (or tty2A) and a second
modem attached to a Digi, acceleport board.

In the normal state of our software / OS, there would be four lights on each
modem in this scenario ... the AA, CD, TR, and CS ... and in examining the
technical documentation of the Modem, the TR light reflects the condition of
the DTR line on the port.

If this light is not on, the modem will not answer incoming calls. We used
the monitor utility of the Digi board and were able to determine the state
of the DTR changes randomly ... yet we cannot find any processes running on
that port ... nor anything else running in the background that should be
affecting these ports.

This application / operating system configuration works just fine on
similarly configured clone machines ... but this HP is causing some real
headaches.

Anybody got any ideas?

Ken Benson

Tuna

Mar 14, 2002, 10:14:35 AM3/14/02
Digi has problems working with modems through SCO.
we had similar problems.
try ditty -fastcook /dev/<port>
also pay close attention to flow control settings for digi ports and the
modem as we had to use xon/xoff for both before it would work.

"ken Benson" <ken_n...@bkenbenson.com> wrote in message