Pseudo terminals

Lars Oberg

Nov 19, 2001, 9:28:29 PM11/19/01
Hi,

I get the error "No such device" (ENODEV) when I try to open more than 16
streams-based pseudo terminals (using the ptmx node).

According to "mkdev ptty", there are 96 pseudo ttys configured in my
system." Using the configure command I have confirmed that the NSPTTYS
kernel parameter is 96.

Under /dev, I only have pts000 to pts015. I have tried creating /dev/pts016
("mknod /dev/pts016 c 43 16"), but it did not help.

How do I increase the number of streams-based ptty's beyond the currently
limit of 16?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

/ Lars (lob...@samyus.com)

Ps. There seems to be an article in SCO's knowledgebase that answers my
question (http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104829), but since
Caldera bought SCO that article is no longer in the knowledgebase. It seems
like Caldera has removed the older SCO articles from their knowledgebase.

Robert Carnegie

Nov 20, 2001, 8:55:40 AM11/20/01
"Lars Oberg" <lars_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<hdjK7.2337$9v1.13...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>...

For the record, using "Get a specific TA by number" at
http://stage.caldera.com/ta/ turns me up article 104829,
which I'll e-mail to you - you don't get links straight
to articles any more (stage.caldera.com is temporary and
presumably they don't want you to rely on articles' locations).

Using the same Web form to find text "enodev" gets it too.
But there's no hit at http://support.caldera.com/caldera/
except for "The UnixWare 7.1.0 installsrv script doesn't
work as documented" (as if anything ever does work as
documented :-) Is this a fault?

At a guess, the older articles perhaps haven't been removed,
but haven't been added yet to Caldera's own database?
Or is it a pure glitch - only this article (and, who knows,
a mere few hundred others) have gone astray?

Anyway, the article says it's straightforward - you have to
edit a whole bunch of files under /etc/conf/sdevice.d, node.d,
cf.d, then relink and reboot. Details in your Hotmail, the
other one isn't accepting me - you're okay with HTML attachments? -
good luck, and back up first!

To cheer you up, _we've_ spent a couple of weeks with an upgrade
to Microsoft Windows ODBC not co-operating with an application.
Only after that did they notice that backups weren't working either.
And only after a couple of weeks did they ask me to fix it ;-)

Tony Lawrence

Nov 20, 2001, 10:28:12 AM11/20/01
Robert Carnegie wrote:

> For the record, using "Get a specific TA by number" at
> http://stage.caldera.com/ta/ turns me up article 104829,
> which I'll e-mail to you - you don't get links straight
> to articles any more (stage.caldera.com is temporary and
> presumably they don't want you to rely on articles' locations).

http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104829 or any other
number you like works just as it did with
www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference

--
Tony Lawrence
SCO/Linux Support Tips, How-To's, Tests and more: http://pcunix.com

Lars Oberg

Nov 20, 2001, 12:46:03 PM11/20/01
Thanks guys. It works fine now. I really hope Caldera is not planning to
remove those older SCO articles later.

/ Lars

"Robert Carnegie" <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in message

Tony Lawrence

Nov 20, 2001, 1:03:22 PM11/20/01
Lars Oberg wrote:

> Thanks guys. It works fine now. I really hope Caldera is not planning to
> remove those older SCO articles later.

Well, we all hope that. It's not comforting that it's on a different
server and that there's no link to it from
http://support.caldera.com/caldera/

At the last SCO QBB, it was mentioned (I think unofficially) that
certain "support" articles would only be available to resellers. I
wrote to the Caldera Services Product Manager and got a confusing and
un-helpful reply that seemed to indicate that this was true. If so,
it's beyond dumb: the LAST thing you want to do is make it difficult for
customers to find support information. Withholding information just
ticks people off, and makes them more likely to dump your product and go
elsewhere.

ERA

Nov 20, 2001, 3:08:00 PM11/20/01
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:03:22, Tony Lawrence <to...@pcunix.com> wrote:

> At the last SCO QBB, it was mentioned (I think unofficially) that
> certain "support" articles would only be available to resellers.
> I wrote to the Caldera Services Product Manager and got a confusing
> and un-helpful reply that seemed to indicate that this was true.
> If so, it's beyond dumb: the LAST thing you want to do is make it
> difficult for customers to find support information. Withholding
> information just ticks people off, and makes them more likely to
> dump your product and go elsewhere.

Well, the following excerpted from http://stage.caldera.com/ta/ seems
to indicate there will be "free" self-help support:

--------------------------Quoted Text Below--------------------------

Installation Knowledge Center - available to all our customers, and
found on the Support Self-Help Home Page. The Installation
Knowledge Center offers support solutions on installation,
basic product configuration issues, security advisories and
supplement letters for Caldera products.
Partner Knowledge Center - available to all Caldera Partner Program
members and access through Partner Online. The Partner Knowledge
Center offers support solutions on installation, basic and
advanced product configuration, second-level system
administration technical information, security advisories and
supplement letters for Caldera products.
Support Knowledge Center - available to our Supported customers who
have a Service Agreement with Caldera and accessed through their
Online Service Manager member login. The Support Knowledge
Center offers support solutions on installation, basic and
advanced product configuration, second-level system
administration technical information, security advisories and
supplement letters for Caldera products. For those customer who
purchase retired product services, access to any retired product
information is also made available.

--------------------------Quoted Text Above--------------------------

However the part about "Support Knowledge Center" seems to indicate
that Caldera is getting serious about "The Bottom Line" on those
ledgers. If they are going to survive I imagine they will have to get
serious about paid support just like SCO was. I suppose the real
issue will be what falls under "... advanced product configuration,
second-level system administration technical information ... and
supplement letters for Caldera products.".

Gene <ge...@eracc.hypermart.net>
Caldera Authorized Partner - OpenServer 5+ & UnixWare 7+
--
+=========================-=>Unix & OS/2<=-=========================+
# Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA #

Robert Carnegie

Nov 21, 2001, 7:06:00 AM11/21/01
Tony Lawrence <to...@pcunix.com> wrote in message news:<3BFA76E6...@pcunix.com>...

> Robert Carnegie wrote:
>

> > For the record, using "Get a specific TA by number" at
> > http://stage.caldera.com/ta/ turns me up article 104829,
> > which I'll e-mail to you - you don't get links straight
> > to articles any more (stage.caldera.com is temporary and
> > presumably they don't want you to rely on articles' locations).
>
> http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104829 or any other
> number you like works just as it did with
> www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference

I remembered previously seeing the URL in the text of
each TA page, and I thought we'd been deprived of them,
but I now see that that's only when I "get a specific TA
by number" from stage.caldera.com/ta - which may, indeed,
be as before.

With any other route in, either the page's URL can be
copied and used later, or (in "navigable" search results)
each page's text contains a URL to be used thus.

Bare article numbers, which we sometimes exchange, seem not to be
accepted as search keywords, and I failed to hack in as follows:

<HTML><BODY>
<form name=gs method=GET
action=http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference>
Technical Article by number:
<input type=text name=x size=31 maxlength=256
value="Type Number">
</form>
</BODY></HTML>

http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?x=104827 is what
that produces. I can remove "x" but not "=". If I knew JavaScript -

I can of course pass a command line to the Windows batch file
start http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?%1

Tony Lawrence

Nov 21, 2001, 7:20:13 AM11/21/01

Try <ISINDEX prompt="Enter TA"