Ctrl-D prompt

ken Benson

Mar 5, 2002, 11:24:25 PM3/5/02
This is a follow-on to an earlier post ... Single user mode fails ...

The problem is that I can't get into single-user mode on this machine.

I think where I really need to look is ... what exactly produces the Ctrl-D
prompt to enter multi-user mode ...

I have watched this process several times .. and the difference between my
machine and one that will allow single-user mode is that my machine gets
into a loop where the only choices are either enter multi-user mode, or get
another Ctrl-D prompt.

I have checked the devices in /dev (console, systty, syscon) and they all
look the same on working machines and my non-working machine.

I have restored the following files from backup: /etc/passwd and
/etc/inittab ... making sure to keep the proper links where these files are
concerned.

I have executed fixmog, and a system verification (quick).

Any other ideas ... I would greatly appreciate it ... thank you.

Ken

John Boland

Mar 6, 2002, 6:35:00 AM3/6/02
"ken Benson" <ken_n...@bkenbenson.com> wrote in message news:<ZRgh8.21335$T62.4082@sccrnsc02>...

> This is a follow-on to an earlier post ... Single user mode fails ...
>
> The problem is that I can't get into single-user mode on this machine.
>
> I think where I really need to look is ... what exactly produces the Ctrl-D
> prompt to enter multi-user mode ...

Have you checked out:

http://stage.caldera.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?106242

John

ken Benson

Mar 6, 2002, 9:39:12 PM3/6/02

John Boland <jbo...@caldera.com> wrote in message

Yep ... even though I have exactly the opposite problem, I went through the
steps on this TA, first ... and it didn't help ... thank you

Ken