Google Gruppi non supporta più i nuovi post o le nuove iscrizioni Usenet. I contenuti storici continuano a essere visibili.

Need BASIC interpreter / compiler

13 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Joe Foster of Borg

da leggere,
22 apr 1995, 03:00:0022/04/95
In article <3n66ao$j...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, szb...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Robert Barbieri) writes:

> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new
> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

> P.S. I already called SCO, and they had no suggestions. I know, I know,
> BASIC is out, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem
> at hand.

Is Basmark still in business? I once read something about their
having a UNIX BASIC, maybe. Anyway, there are more dialects of
BASIC than you can shake a compiler at, so even if you can find a
UNIX BASIC, it might not run your client's code anyway. Set them
up with a DOS/Windows emulator, just in case.

Oh yeah, you posted a UNIX question to the XENIX newsgroup, so
I'll crosspost and followup-to biz.sco.unix and
comp.unix.sco.misc.

[oh, for the good old days of 4-line .sigs!]

--
Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!

Jim McQuillan

da leggere,
23 apr 1995, 03:00:0023/04/95
}> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
}> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new
}> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
}> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
}> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
}> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
}> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

Dynamic Concepts, Inc. makes UniBasic which is a Basic Interpreter that
works well with SCO UNIX.

--

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Jim McQuillan 1855 Midland Rd.

Keith Smith

da leggere,
23 apr 1995, 03:00:0023/04/95
In article <52...@bftsi0.uucp>, Joe Foster of Borg <j...@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
>In article <3n66ao$j...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, szb...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Robert Barbieri) writes:
>
>> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
>> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new

Microsoft BASIC for SCO Xenix.

>> P.S. I already called SCO, and they had no suggestions. I know, I know,
>> BASIC is out, but it's the simplest and cheapest solution to the problem
>> at hand.
>
>Is Basmark still in business? I once read something about their
>having a UNIX BASIC, maybe. Anyway, there are more dialects of

Yep QuickBASIC or Something but.

>BASIC than you can shake a compiler at, so even if you can find a
>UNIX BASIC, it might not run your client's code anyway. Set them
>up with a DOS/Windows emulator, just in case.

I use BASIS Business BASIC. Definately different, but also a very
powerful interpeter with some features that make debugging a breeze.

>[oh, for the good old days of 4-line .sigs!]
>
>--
>Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
>because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!
>--
>Joe Foster (j...@bftsi0.UUCP or joe%bftsi...@uunet.uu.net)
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
>because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!

Then yours doubled :)

--
Keith Smith <ke...@ksmith.com> Free Usenet News/Newsfeeds
Digital Designs (910) 423-4216/7389/7391

Kirk B. Spadt

da leggere,
25 apr 1995, 03:00:0025/04/95
(Robert>Barbieri) writes:

> Hello all. I am in need of a BASIC interpreter or compiler that can run
> under UNIX. I'm in contact with a company that wants to purchase a new

> computer system, and retain its custom software (unfortunately all written
> in BASIC). They want to purchase SCO UNIX, but will only do so if it is
> possible to obtain BASIC. If anyone out there knows of any third party
> UNIX BASIC vendors, please e-mail me. I would really appreciate any help
> that I can get. Thanks in advance!

If the BASIC your client is using is an IBM midrange (System/36 or AS/400) or
mainframe BASIC, the solution below will work well. If it is a PC Basic, the
other solutions already posted will be more appropriate.

I have been using Workstation Basic (WB) by Application Development Systems, a
small company in Royal Oak, Michigan, on an SCO Unix platform. They are at
(810) 547-3300.

Four years ago, I converted an application written in IBM System/36 Basic to
SCO using WB and am very happy with the quality of the Workstation Basic
interpreter. I selected WB because it was written as a migration path
for users of IBM System/23 and System/36 systems, and the compatibility
was very high. ADS's System/36 to Workstation Basic conversion tool was very
incomplete, however. I ended up writing my own conversion program.

If I can assist, please feel free to contact me by phone or email.

Kirk

Kirk B. Spadt ksp...@keyware.com
Keyware Systems, Inc.
570 Lindsey Drive (610) 964-9530