Just saying hi

Tony Lawrence

Jun 27, 2013, 5:51:30 AM6/27/13
It's been a long, long time since I've posted here..

I was reminded of this yesterday because I had to go fix an old 5.0.4 system that had lost its inittab. I tend to turn down most SCO stuff nowadays (especially anything pre 5.0.6), but this was an old customer from the 90's or maybe even earlier so I sighed and went in. Rebuilt inittab, nothing else wrong, customer much relieved, but running on an ancient, very dusty Gateway.. amazing the poor thing is still running. I warned them that they will lose it sooner rather than later. They've already switched to a Windows system; the old SCO is just for historical data, so they aren't too concerned.

Almost all of my old SCO customers have switched to Linux or Windows. I still keep the thousands of old SCO troubleshooting and help articles up at http://aplawrence.com, but the traffic has declined for rather obvious reasons :-)

Every time I do a job like yesterday's I think "This could be the last time I ever touch a SCO system".

Nowadays I mostly do mail servers and firewalls.. mostly Linux based, of course..

Just saying hi to anyone still here from the old days.

Tony Lawrence

Pat Welch

Jun 28, 2013, 10:26:25 AM6/28/13
Hi, Tony!

Nice to see you are still kickin' around.

SCO work is getting indeed quite rare.

I had some hope the company that bought out the rights to SCO would
correct the V versions fatal flaw: You can't buy them outright, but that
did not happen.

Selling V as a subscription wouldn't have been such a bad decision IF
they followed the RHEL model and just the auto updates stop working when
not renewed (or the company goes out of business), not the whole
freakin' OS, except for enough console only access to renew the license.

SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

BobD

Jun 29, 2013, 7:06:23 AM6/29/13
Hi Tony,

Please don't EVER get rid of your SCO Pages, some of us are still
referring to them from time to time ! I still have several customers
running on SCO boxes, most of them I have virtualised under VMWare,
but some still remain on the original tin.

The nice thing about them is that they just keep on running (hardware
permitting), as there have been no recent patches/updates.

When a problem does occur that I have forgotten how to deal with, your
pages are the first port of call.

Best Regards

BobD

cry...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2013, 6:09:57 AM11/8/13
Hi, It's been a while since I looked in here - many years since I touched a SCO box now :-(

Keith

jerry

Nov 8, 2013, 8:01:00 AM11/8/13

> Hi, It's been a while since I looked in here - many years since I touched a
> SCO box now :-(
>

> Keith

Hello Keith!

I was starting to believe they are all dead and I may be the last dinosaur.

Jerry

Posted with NewsLeecher v6.3 Beta 1
Now featuring fully automated leeching
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

YM

Nov 8, 2013, 12:01:10 PM11/8/13
On Fri 11/08/13 8:01 AM, jerry wrote:

>> Hi, It's been a while since I looked in here - many years since I touched a
>> SCO box now :-(
>>

>> Keith
>
> Hello Keith!
>
> I was starting to believe they are all dead and I may be the last dinosaur.
>
> Jerry

You are not alone. I am still working with a few SCO clients, 5.0.6 and
6.00. They are so happy with their systems that they refuse to change.
I am running SCO Openserver (5 and 6) on VMWare player succesfully so
that will be a solution when their old Acer Altos die.
Just a note here to thank Tony Lawrence for his website, that has helped
solve problems many times.

Ygnacio Moreno.

Tony Lawrence

Jan 8, 2015, 7:43:41 AM1/8/15
Did another one yesterday, really awful because I'm so rusty.

Wrote it up for your amusement at http://aplawrence.com/SCO_OSR5/another507crash.html

I hate doing this stuff now.

Last night someone called me needing on-site assistance with a similarly ancient Linux system. I remember even less about 1990's Linux than 1990's SCO Unix, so I quoted him $175.00/hour plus .95/mile round trip with a minimum 2 hours on site and told him that because my memory of that ancient stuff is poor, it could easily run a full day for something that should be much quicker. I was very honest with him: I told him that I don't really want the work because it will be painful for both me and him.

Tony Lawrence

Apr 5, 2015, 7:57:35 AM4/5/15
On Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:06:23 AM UTC-4, BobD wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Please don't EVER get rid of your SCO Pages, some of us are still
> referring to them from time to time !

I have removed some of the real junk, but I keep anything that possibly might help someone and might be hard to find elsewhere.

Lately I've been spending time cleaning up broken links on those old pages. While they get very little traffic now, I feel guilty when they are broken and a lot are - should keep me busy for a year or so depending on how many I can stand to do at a time :)

OregonBob

Apr 11, 2015, 5:29:35 PM4/11/15
Hi Tony, I'm still working with 5.0.6 customers. Just recently had a Dell PowerEdge RAID drop dead after 13 years of great run. I moved their SCO to a vmware guest on linux. All is well, but I used a few of your SCO pages to refresh my memory. Isn't it amazing how we start to forget old tricks after so long.

tamsee...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 12:21:19 PM7/29/15
Hello All,

It's been awhile I looked here, nice to see most still around, I barely do any SCO work now, I do know few of my old customer still have the SCO box running, but I don't hear from them much.

Abid

TOK2000

Jul 30, 2015, 1:35:34 PM7/30/15
I'm one of those end users, I did got so SCO Openserver 6 quite awhile ago and it's been really solid. I'm an old Compuserve UnixForum/SCOForum member and JP helps me out when needed. Some times though when small issues come up I go through your pages to see if I can find the fix before calling JP.

It's such solid software, at least for me, it's too bad that it's just been let go for the most part.

Oh well.

SocalIT

Aug 13, 2015, 3:57:36 AM8/13/15
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:51:30 AM UTC-7, Tony Lawrence wrote:
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:51:30 AM UTC-7, Tony Lawrence wrote:
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:51:30 AM UTC-7, Tony Lawrence wrote:
Hi Tony, thanks for all the assists via your website over the years.

Down here in Southern California, still have about 10 active Medical, Transportation, Pawn Shop (filepro), and other misc client systems running.

As much as you push clients to migrate to linux (for the character based stuff), etc. some never bite. Most are virtual nowadays, but a few on Physical IBM or HP G4/5/6 hardware (luckily parts are plentiful and cheap).