Is every Unix (including SCO,s) full of daemons ?

Werner Scholz

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.

As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?

A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !

In hope for an answer from SCO,

Werner

Im Übrigen bin ich der Meinung Kirche und Staat sollten strikt getrennt werden
und das Kirchensteuersystem gehört wg. erwiesenen Missbrauchs ersatzlos gestrichen ...

Craig Macbride

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

w_sc...@mercuryin.es (Werner Scholz) writes:

>Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.

>As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?

I'm afraid Bill Gates' nickname is "Satan". This means that any Microsoft
product will corrupt you too. Maybe you should try running Pick?

--
Craig Macbride <cr...@rmit.edu.au> URL: http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~craigm

"A lesser duck would give up about now"
- Daffy Duck

Kees Hendrikse

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

> Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
> of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
> because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.

Daemons that is; from the old-greek 'daimon', meaning something like
'helper'. Yes Unix comes with a lot of helper-programs that are installed
by default. You can run Unix without daemons, if you are prepared to
monitor your network connections yourself, get out of bed 4 times a night
to do system housekeeping etc.

> As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
> his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?

Altough the name Windows/New Testament sounds very Christian, you have to
realise a Win/NT system comes loaded with DLL's. DLL stands for 'Demon
Like Lucifer' and although they too impersonate as helpers, they will,
eventually, wreck your system. Probably not a good choice.

TIC
--
Kees Hendrikse | email: ke...@echelon.nl

ECHELON consultancy and software development | phone: +31 (0)53 48 36 585
PO Box 545, 7500AM Enschede, The Netherlands | fax: +31 (0)53 43 37 415

Dave Parker

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

In article <34419414...@noticias.ibernet.es> w_sc...@mercuryin.es (Werner Scholz) writes:
>Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>
>As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>
>A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
>demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
>only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
>can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
>install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
>if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !
>
>In hope for an answer from SCO,

UNIX, having been written originally written at The Phone Company (TPC),
was commissioned by Satan himself to more easily monitor voice traffic
over the phone lines. When personal computers began to become popular in
the late 70s/early 80s, the Devil realized that there was a possibility
that this platform could grow and someday replace the computers running
his OS - UNIX. He then set into motion forces which eventually made the
anti-Christ (Bill Gates) the richest man in the world, and his OS (Windows
NT - again actually commissioned by the Evil One) a POSSIBLE (note I said
POSSIBLE - it's not yet certain that it will actually happen) heir apparent
to UNIX in the telephone network.

Your only hope is to write your own operating system with angels instead
of daemons running all the background processes. In fact this is
humanity's only hope - you absolutely MUST do this! Otherwise, we are ALL
doomed!
--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc dlpa...@dlpinc00.com

Dave Dickerson

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

For what it's worth, from my trivia archives...

UNIX Review, July 1990, Stan Kelly-Bootle's column "Devil's Advocate"
(edited)...

As a serendipitous reward while rebrowsing the Fowler repository,
I came across the following definition:

daemon, dae-. This spelling, instead of demon, is used
to distinguish the Greek-mythology senses of supernatural
being, indwelling spirit, etc., from the modern sense of
devil. (--op.cit. p. 117)

This entry recalled an exchange of email in August 1988 between Evi
Nemeth, Kirk McKusick, Dennis Ritchie, and Jerry Saltzer, that
Kirk cc'd me via mtxinu!beast!satan.

[snip]

Evi had asked if daemon derived from "Maxwell's demon in the Beatles'
song or the old Greek meaning of guardian angel or both/neither?"

[snip]

Dennis and Jerry both cite the OED definition of daemon, which
parallels Fowler, and Jerry finally nails down the originator:

"I'm working from memory here, but I think this is the story.
Although the word 'process' wasn't in the vocabulary yet, we
had just figured out that what one would now call 'system
processes' were a solution to several problems, and we were
looking for a good label for them. A British gentleman named
Michael (Mick) Bailey, working on the CTSS programming staff at
MIT, suggested the word 'daemon' and quoted the OED in support
of both the meaning and spelling. Bailey's etymology was so
impeccable that questions as to whether the spelling should be
simplified to 'demon' went on for only about 30 seconds. On
both CTSS and Multics, the documentation and the process names
use the spelling 'daemon.' I suspect that the date on the memo
that first used the term would be in 1962 or 1963."

(--Jerome H. Saltzer to Kirk McKusick, August 24, 1988)

DD in AZ

-------------------------

Previously, Werner Scholz said...

>Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>
>As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>
>A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
>demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
>only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
>can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
>install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
>if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !
>
>In hope for an answer from SCO,
>

>Werner

Tom Parsons

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Werner Scholz writes:
>Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>
>As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>
>A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
>demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
>only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
>can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
>install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
>if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !

Your lack of Unix knowledge is certainly quite evident. On ANY
Unixen (SCO, Sun, IBM, .....), please run the following command
for edification, enlightment and sheer fright.

find / -perm 666 -print > exorcise_list
Tom Parsons t...@tegan.com Sysop, SCOForum-CompuServe, CIS:75162,1445

Werner Scholz

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:26:19 GMT, ke...@echelon.nl (Kees Hendrikse)
wrote:

>In <34419414...@noticias.ibernet.es> w_sc...@mercuryin.es (Werner Scholz) writes:
>
>> Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>> of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>> because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>

>Daemons that is; from the old-greek 'daimon', meaning something like
>'helper'. Yes Unix comes with a lot of helper-programs that are installed
>by default. You can run Unix without daemons, if you are prepared to
>monitor your network connections yourself, get out of bed 4 times a night
>to do system housekeeping etc.

I'm not familiar with old greek but the modern definition for a demon
as I read it in Collins English language dictionary is

1. an evil spirit

2. an evil force which is believed to influence people's behaviour

3. a person who concentrates very hard on or is very skilled at an
activity and puts a lot of energy into it

Daemon see demon

Once again I ask SCO if it is possible to install SCO Unix without any
daemon or demon or not. If that's not possible I will have to use
Windows NT instead of SCO Unix.

A company like SCO must really be mad if they think that a Christian
user like me will buy that Satanic shit ... I tried Linux and I won't
try it again because of hell and devil (btw. the last incarnation of
the devil was called Adolf Hitler) and a lot of trouble I had whilst
having installed Linux...

But that seems to be a 'nice' feature of any Unix ? A free ticket to
hell ... No thank you, SCO !!!

You must be mad at SCO if you think you can sell me that Satanic shit.
Why do you attack Christian users like me with such a shit ? You MUST
BE CRAZY !!! I really don't understand you ! Is SCO a Satanic company
?

You hopefully know who Satan is and how much trouble you or better
your fathers had with Adolf Hitler. Adolf Hitler's chief demon or
daemon was called Joseph Goebbels !!! My father had to sit at Babi Jar
on the machine gun. Fuhrerbefehl ! Don't know how many jews he killed
there, dancing with Mr. D. You must be crazy at SCO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you do is companionship with Mr. D. better known as Adolf Hitler
and his demons or daemons Josep Goebbels, Reinhard Heydrich, Heinrich
Himmler and so on and on and on. SCO is a complice of Adolf Hitler.
Because you sell us demons. Or better you want to sell them to me. I
won't buy them. I'm not mad as SCO, a Satanic company, seems to be ! I
Don't wanna end up like my father at Babi Yar you know ... Shoot or
lay down beside them you know ... Dancing with Mr. D. you kow ... As
Mick Jagger uses to sing you know ... Nice guy that Mick Jagger ...

In the hope for a DEFINITIVE answer from SCO until next weekend
(because I need an operating system, Unix or Windows NT). Am I able to
run SCO Unix without any demon or daemon ? That's the question. Maybe
it's possible to rename those daemons into services ?

If I won't get a satisfactory answer I will buy Windows NT next week.

>> As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>> his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>

>Altough the name Windows/New Testament sounds very Christian,

The newest testament is written by me ...

> you have to
>realise a Win/NT system comes loaded with DLL's. DLL stands for 'Demon
>Like Lucifer'

think that stands for dynamic link library ? You don't wanna fool me ?

>and although they too impersonate as helpers, they will,
>eventually, wreck your system. Probably not a good choice.

Probably a better choice than to go to hell with SCO. BTW. SCO stands
for SATANIC COMPANY ON it's WAy to hell ....

Jeff Liebermann

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Werner Scholz (w_sc...@mercuryin.es) wrote:
: Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full

: of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
: because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
: As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and

: his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?

I'm afraid that all platorms have daemons running somewhere.
To see NT's, right click on the task bar, select "Task Manager"
and you'll see all the programs running in the background.

The solution to your problem is not to switch to NT but to
upgrade to a new personal operating system that does not require
the fear of daemons. I recommend Judaism 1.0 which had been
offering an un-advertised competative upgrade for the last
6,000 years. Check your phone directory for the address of
your nearest authorized services center for details.

There are many other advanatages to an upgrade to Judasism 1.0.
- Thousands of local authorized services centers (temples).
- Expert consultant at every services center (rabbi).
- User group meetings every Saturday.
- Advanced Study Centers (Yeshivah).
- Annual reboot cerimony (Yom Kippur).
- Economical. Does not require a large Vatican MIS department.
- Flexible development, arguing and porting environment.
- Runs most compatible jobs and careers without modification.

To aid in the upgrade, Judaism 1.0 comes with a complete
documentation package, including:
- Source Code (Torah).
- Translation to English (Old Testament).
- Annotated release notes (Talmud).
- Getting Started guide (Mafsir).

There are some details which must be known before upgrading.
Due to reliability considerations, multiple personal operating
systems are not supported. Therefore, the upgrade is actually
a total replacement. Fortunately, the tested in-place-upgrade
preserves everything and does not require unloading assets
and starting over.

Although there are no license fees, maintenance charges (tithe)
or upgrade charges, donations are usually requested at the
Saturday user group meetings, and after the annual reboot
cerimony. There are media charges for printed documentation.
Some minor accessories (yamekah, talis, t'villim) may need to
be purchased.

Once the Judaism personal operating system is installed and
properly licensed, you are allowed to make backup copies
for all your child processes. However, they will be running
"Judaism Lite" until age 13 when the full personal operating
system may be safetly installed (Bar Mitzvah).

There are a number of holdays, festivals and events which
may involve some downtime. These are explained in the
documentation in excruciating details. The lunar calendar
is non-standard but conversion utilities are avaialable.

Judaism 1.0 is compatibile with both Unix and NT. It involves
no fear of daemons, numbers (666) or scientific notation.
Many features of the beta versions of Judaism were cloned
by your existing personal operating system. Reliability is
greatly enhanced by 5,758 years of experience as compared to
only 1,997 years for your current installation. This allowed
time to do testing and avoid squabbles over standards as is
currently underway in Ireland.

Judaism 1.0 is an impressively powerful personal operating
system, but with an installed base of only 3% of the US
population. This small but fanatically loyal user based
has resulted in extremely low turnover. This also yields
exellent system reliability, honesty, survivability and
high net worth benchmark results.

Having run Judaism 1.0 for the past 49 years, I can testify
as to all the above advantages. I have never experienced
a system crash, hang, purge or pogrom that could be attributed
to a bug or glitch in the personal operating system.
I highly recommend installing the upgrade.

Jeff Liebermann

--
# Jeff Liebermann Liebermann Design 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 408.336.2558 voice wb6ssy@ki6eh.#cca.ca.usa.noam wb6ssy.ampr.org 44.4.18.10

Kirk Friberg

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

> Once again I ask SCO if it is possible to install SCO Unix without any
> daemon or demon or not. If that's not possible I will have to use
> Windows NT instead of SCO Unix.

So Ya want to forgo Unix for the operating system some say was
written by Lucifer himself? Go Figure.

--
Kirk Friberg - ki...@treco.net
Communications Officer/Computer maint. Technician

Mark A. Davis

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Werner Scholz wrote:

> Once again I ask SCO if it is possible to install SCO Unix without any
> daemon or demon or not. If that's not possible I will have to use
> Windows NT instead of SCO Unix.
>

> A company like SCO must really be mad if they think that a Christian
> user like me will buy that Satanic shit ... I tried Linux and I won't
> try it again because of hell and devil (btw. the last incarnation of
> the devil was called Adolf Hitler) and a lot of trouble I had whilst
> having installed Linux...

Being a Christian or not has nothing to do with a computer operating
system. The name "daemon" just means a helper program. If you think
this is religious, then you are a nut.

> But that seems to be a 'nice' feature of any Unix ? A free ticket to
> hell ... No thank you, SCO !!!

I can assure you, using Unix will not send you to hell.

> You must be mad at SCO if you think you can sell me that Satanic shit.
> Why do you attack Christian users like me with such a shit ? You MUST
> BE CRAZY !!! I really don't understand you ! Is SCO a Satanic company
> ?

Hmm, I think you ARE a nut. Perhaps you should go get an abacus and use
THAT for your work, unless that too is "the work of the devil".

[more rant deleted]

Oh my! Is there are full moon or something?

| Mark A. Davis, |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |
| Director of | Hospital | ma...@yy.laketaylor.org ***to reply |
|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

Pete Ritter

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Werner Scholz wrote:

> Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
> of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
> because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>
> As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
> his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?

You're bothered by only a few daemons? Didn't you notice all the files
with permission of 666?

By the way, numerology uncovers the fact that "Windows NT", "Microsoft"
and "Windows 95" all = 666! ("Linux" does not!)

In fact, if you play with the numbers right, you'll find that
"computer", "computing", and "Werner Scholz" all = 666!

Have a nice day.

ja...@sageinst.com

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

>-- 13 Oct 97 0:17 PDT
>-- 13 Oct 97 0:12 PDT
>--From: Kirk Friberg <ki...@treco.net>
>--
>--> Once again I ask SCO if it is possible to install SCO Unix without any
>--> daemon or demon or not. If that's not possible I will have to use
>--> Windows NT instead of SCO Unix.
>--
>--So Ya want to forgo Unix for the operating system some say was
>--written by Lucifer himself? Go Figure.

so that makes AT&T lucifer! Say, maybe this guy is on to something! !NOT!

clearly, nt is made for him... ;)

jackc...
>--
>----
>--Kirk Friberg - ki...@treco.net
>--Communications Officer/Computer maint. Technician
>--
>--
>--

jack craig ja...@sageinst.com 408-761-7259(voice)
Sage Instruments, Inc. The Leader In Telecom Testing 408-761-6300(fax)

Eric Hansson sys adm

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> I recommend Judaism 1.0 which had been
> Sheer bloody poetry, Jeff

eric

Gary R. Schmidt

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Werner Scholz (w_sc...@mercuryin.es) wrote:
> : Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
> : of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
> : because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
> : As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
> : his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>

> I'm afraid that all platorms have daemons running somewhere.
> To see NT's, right click on the task bar, select "Task Manager"
> and you'll see all the programs running in the background.
>
> The solution to your problem is not to switch to NT but to
> upgrade to a new personal operating system that does not require
> the fear of daemons. I recommend Judaism 1.0 which had been
> offering an un-advertised competative upgrade for the last
> 6,000 years. Check your phone directory for the address of
> your nearest authorized services center for details.

[snip] (pun intended!)

OK, now we need a Buddhist, a couple of Mithraists, a Druid or three, a handful of
Anima Mundi types...

I needed a laugh like that today!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Gary R. Schmidt at Work: g...@pfxcorp.com
at Play: g...@mira.net

Lakmal Gunasekara

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Hi to all,

I never laught like that before :-)

So for the english speaking people I think it's nice to know what his
signature file means:

>Im Übrigen bin ich der Meinung Kirche und Staat sollten strikt getrennt werden
>und das Kirchensteuersystem gehört wg. erwiesenen Missbrauchs ersatzlos gestrichen ...

Means:

that he is against the german tax system where you have to pay taxes to the
state when you're in a christian church. He's against this system (I'm also)
because there is too much mismanagement with it.

In germany the christian churches have much more power (afaik) than in other
countrys. We realy have to pay taxes for it. But that's the reason why a lot
of people here leave the churches.

If he's SO christian he wouldn't post something like that.

Please: Don't think ALL germans are so fanatic like him!!!!!

He's the only one (and btw. there are a lot more germans who know about Unix).

Have a nice discussion :-)

Lucky

Bremen, Germany, somewhere in the middle of europe

--
******
******

Werner Scholz

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

On 14 Oct 1997 15:19:52 GMT, lu...@han.cip-iw1.uni-bremen.de (Lakmal
Gunasekara) wrote:

>Hi to all,
>
>I never laught like that before :-)
>
>So for the english speaking people I think it's nice to know what his
>signature file means:
>
>>Im Übrigen bin ich der Meinung Kirche und Staat sollten strikt getrennt werden
>>und das Kirchensteuersystem gehört wg. erwiesenen Missbrauchs ersatzlos gestrichen ...
>
>Means:
>
>that he is against the german tax system where you have to pay taxes to the
>state when you're in a christian church. He's against this system (I'm also)
>because there is too much mismanagement with it.

That's allright. Because the german priests earn much too much money.
They could buy themselves yachts in the Mediterrenean for what they
earn. That was not the purpose of the church tax system as I intended
it when I invented it in my last life.

>In germany the christian churches have much more power (afaik) than in other
>countrys.

Bullshit. In Pakistan the Islam has much more power ...

>We realy have to pay taxes for it. But that's the reason why a lot
>of people here leave the churches.
>
>If he's SO christian he wouldn't post something like that.

I'm more catholic then the pope ;-) Even if I happen to be evangelic.
Maybe I'm more evangelic then Martin Luther himself too ? Btw. is SCO
more Satanic then Adolf Hitler ?

>Please: Don't think ALL germans are so fanatic like him!!!!!

I'm not fanatic a all. I only don't like Satan whose last incarnation
on this earth is known as Adolf Hitler and his demons who are better
known under their names Joseph Goebbels, Reinhard Heydrich, Rudolf
Hess. Only to name a few. I have a hellish respect of them and don't
wanna install them into my server. That's all folks.

>He's the only one (and btw. there are a lot more germans who know about Unix).

I am new to Unix and I would like to use SCO Unix but only without
having to do anything with Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels and so on who
happen to be Adolf hitler's chief demons.

>Have a nice discussion :-)
>
>Lucky
>
>Bremen, Germany, somewhere in the middle of europe

Stephen Davies

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

Tom Parsons <c...@tegan.tegan.com> wrote in article
<971012092...@tegan.tegan.com>...

> Werner Scholz writes:
> >Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
> >of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
> >because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
> >
> >As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
> >his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
> >

> >A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
> >demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
> >only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
> >can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
> >install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
> >if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !

Is this guy for real?

Werner Scholz

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

On 12 Oct 1997 16:54:35 -0700, je...@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us (Jeff
Liebermann) wrote:

>Werner Scholz (w_sc...@mercuryin.es) wrote:
>: Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full

>: of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>: because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>: As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>: his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>

>I'm afraid that all platorms have daemons running somewhere.
>To see NT's, right click on the task bar, select "Task Manager"
>and you'll see all the programs running in the background.

Are they really called daemons under NT ? I have no NT. I need an OS
without demons be it NT or Unix.

>The solution to your problem is not to switch to NT but to
>upgrade to a new personal operating system that does not require
>the fear of daemons. I recommend Judaism 1.0 which had been
>offering an un-advertised competative upgrade for the last
>6,000 years. Check your phone directory for the address of
>your nearest authorized services center for details.

Do yoy really think I should upgrade to Judaism ? May I inform you
that my father sat in Babi Jar on the machine gun and is assumed to
have killed maybe some thousand jews there ? May I inform you that we
don't talk about that in Germany for obvious reason ?. May I inform
you that my father was a lawyer at the Flick Compnay in Duesseldorf ?
Asking is allowed isn't it ? May I inform you that I am nor the
betrayer of my 'fathers' neither their accomplice ?

May I inform you that I have a hellish respect of Mr. D (Adolf Hitler)
and his demons (Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler. Alfred Rodenberg)
Only to name some of hie chief demons ?

Therefore I am a bit carefull with installing demons or daimons in my
server. But if I get a guarantee from you and SCO and the pope (I'm
more catholic than the pope, shall I really be more judaistic then the
Chief Rabbi of the jews ? Is there something like a chief Rabbi ?)
that all those daemons are nothing else then good guardian angels and
that they won't do me any harm and that I won't suffer any damage,
neither me nor my computer, all right I would like to try SCO Unix. I
tried Linux and had a very bad time while trying it .... I finally
uninstalled it.

MAybe the jewish chief Rabbi can give me a guarantee ? Or the pope ?
With such a father one becomes a bit careful when having to install
any demons anywhere - be it a computer ror something else ...

Ciao, Werner

Steve Mann

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

>[more rant deleted]
>
>Oh my! Is there are full moon or something?

Yes.

Mark A. Davis

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

I know, how funny- I looked last night and it was! (At least in this
area)

John Hiemenz

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

On 15 Oct 1997 00:03:04 GMT, the entity known as "Stephen Davies"
<ste...@agn.net.au> wrote:

>Tom Parsons <c...@tegan.tegan.com> wrote in article
><971012092...@tegan.tegan.com>...
>> Werner Scholz writes:

>> >Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>> >of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>> >because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>> >
>> >As a Christian user I don't wanna have to do anything with Satan and
>> >his daemons. Is the only alternative for me Windows NT ?
>> >

>> >A question to SCO : I will not pay for an Unix which is full of
>> >demons. Not a penny. I won't install your Unix if I have to install
>> >only one demon or daemon. You must really be crazy if you think you
>> >can fool a Christian user with your Satanic Unix ! I will have to
>> >install Windows NT ONLY because of this reason. You must really be mad
>> >if you think that a Christ will pay for your daemons !
>>

>Is this guy for real?

Sadly, he probably is.

I am also a Christian user, but I'm not off the deep end as he is. I work in
and out of SCO all day long. I prefer to call those 'daemons' by their
proper term... background processes... Hmm.. Satan does his work in the
background too... oh dear.... maybe I should just call them little peices of
software that happen to accomplish taks for me at the same time I am doing
something else in order to make my life easier? This is a bit like walking
in faith.. we let God do things for us whilst we do God's work.

To the original poster.. get a life, preferably one rooted in God's Word. YOU
cannot save yourself from Satan, no matter what you do, only through Christ's
gift of salvation and His love will you overcome Satan and his works. If you
don't believe God is powerful enough to protect you from these software
daemons, then Satan already has a grip on you, my friend.

/\---/\
(0 0)
===============oo00o====(_)====0oo0==================
+ John Hiemenz he...@cloudnet.com +
+ http://www.cloudnet.com/~hemo +
+ Romans 10:13 +
===================oo00======00oo====================
( ) ( )
\ ( ) /
(___] [___)

Werner Scholz

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

----------------- snip ------------------>>

>don't believe God is powerful enough to protect you from these software
>daemons, then Satan already has a grip on you, my friend.

Maybe God is the worst of all those demons....

Werner

> /\---/\
> (0 0)
>===============oo00o====(_)====0oo0==================

Eric Hansson

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

John Hiemenz wrote:

> On 15 Oct 1997 00:03:04 GMT, the entity known as "Stephen Davies"
> <ste...@agn.net.au> wrote:
>

> >Tom Parsons <c...@tegan.tegan.com> wrote in article
> ><971012092...@tegan.tegan.com>...
[snipped]

This religious discussion is all very interesting but
is c.u.s.m really the right forum for it?

eric

Jeff Hyman

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

It seems like only yesterday when it was only Diane Foss that was abusing
this forum. What she did is light-weight compared to some of the crap
being exposed to many forums on the net. Bottom line... it's getting way
out of hand. As more and more bandwidth becomes available to more and more
folks jumping on the net, it's going to become even worse. I wonder what
companies like SCO are doing to prevent certain trash in their newsgroup.
I know about spam filters, but maybe a keyword|password that comes with the
OS... and could maybe change every quarter. I don't know the answer, but
I do know that it's becoming less enjoyable to sort through all the
religious|sexual bullshit to get to real forum topics.

- Jeff Hyman

John Adams

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

That's a pretty good description of the problem...and c.u.s.m. is fairly
spam-free! (tried reading alt.2600 recently?)

The solution isn't locking ourselves away, though. How does requiring a
username and a password "encourage" people to use the net? It only
makes it harder for us to get here and "surf" through the fairly useful
information, offering help where we can. (although if you want to set
up one of those "web" sites that emulates a newsgroup...or maybe
c.u.s.m.moderated...)

We need to either get active in banning spam (http://www.cauce.org) or
get used to hitting the delete key. Once spamming is illegal, we'll
have only those who have "faulty chipsets" to deal with. (like the
originator of this thread...) They'll never go away, but I think enough
of us got a laugh out of the original comment and the replies (Judaism
1.0 indeed) to make it worthwhile.

(now climbing down from soapbox to hit delete key a few more times...)

Grey Cloak

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:14:14 GMT,
Werner Scholz cause to appear:

>On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:26:19 GMT, ke...@echelon.nl (Kees Hendrikse)
>wrote:
>
>>In <34419414...@noticias.ibernet.es> w_sc...@mercuryin.es (Werner Scholz) writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm about to install SCO UNix. But I heard that any Unix is full
>>> of daemons or demons. I uninstalled Linux because of that reason and
>>> because I had a lot of trouble since having installed it.
>>
>>Daemons that is; from the old-greek 'daimon', meaning something like
>>'helper'. Yes Unix comes with a lot of helper-programs that are installed
>>by default. You can run Unix without daemons, if you are prepared to
>>monitor your network connections yourself, get out of bed 4 times a night
>>to do system housekeeping etc.
>>
>I'm not familiar with old greek but the modern definition for a demon
>as I read it in Collins English language dictionary is
>
>1. an evil spirit
>
>2. an evil force which is believed to influence people's behaviour
>
>3. a person who concentrates very hard on or is very skilled at an
>activity and puts a lot of energy into it
>
>Daemon see demon
>
>Once again I ask SCO if it is possible to install SCO Unix without any
>daemon or demon or not. If that's not possible I will have to use
>Windows NT instead of SCO Unix.
>
>A company like SCO must really be mad if they think that a Christian
>user like me will buy that Satanic shit ... I tried Linux and I won't
>try it again because of hell and devil (btw. the last incarnation of
>the devil was called Adolf Hitler) and a lot of trouble I had whilst
>having installed Linux...
>
>But that seems to be a 'nice' feature of any Unix ? A free ticket to
>hell ... No thank you, SCO !!!
>
>You must be mad at SCO if you think you can sell me that Satanic shit.
>Why do you attack Christian users like me with such a shit ? You MUST
>BE CRAZY !!! I really don't understand you ! Is SCO a Satanic company

Wow, this is a troll. Boy you going hate my Sig.
I don't currently use SCO now, planning on upgrading to SCO in the near
future. But you in a follow up invoked godwins law.

My advice Stick to win95, You stated you had problem with Linux, that
implied that it evil because it has daemons.

>What you do is companionship with Mr. D. better known as Adolf Hitler
>and his demons or daemons Josep Goebbels, Reinhard Heydrich, Heinrich
>Himmler and so on and on and on. SCO is a complice of Adolf Hitler.

Here Godwins law:
Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies: As an online discussion grows longer, the
probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

I think this was the fastest I every seen this law invoked

--
Grey Cloak

.###########. Change spamtrap to grycloak, to email me.
##'___ ___`## Wizard.FAQ v2.0 send blank Email to:
## * > < * ## wiza...@greycloak.access.one.net
### ) | | ( ### For other documents served
###\_-===-_/### Docs...@greycloak.access.one.net
# ~!!!~ #

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/7614
http://w3.one.net/~grycloak/dreams/dream.htm

ron kinney

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

sco...@cactus.com (Jeff Hyman) wrote:

> I don't know the answer, but
>I do know that it's becoming less enjoyable to sort through all the
>religious|sexual bullshit to get to real forum topics.

>- Jeff Hyman

Jeff,

This is my first newsgoup post and this software sucks...

The answer is just use copuserve! :-)

<just kidding>

Bela Lubkin

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

Jeff Hyman wrote:

> It seems like only yesterday when it was only Diane Foss that was abusing
> this forum. What she did is light-weight compared to some of the crap
> being exposed to many forums on the net. Bottom line... it's getting way
> out of hand. As more and more bandwidth becomes available to more and more
> folks jumping on the net, it's going to become even worse. I wonder what
> companies like SCO are doing to prevent certain trash in their newsgroup.
> I know about spam filters, but maybe a keyword|password that comes with the

> OS... and could maybe change every quarter. I don't know the answer, but

> I do know that it's becoming less enjoyable to sort through all the
> religious|sexual bullshit to get to real forum topics.

The spam-cancelers are vigilant enough for me. If you read the
newsgroup via the Xenitec news->mail gateway then you get the spam and
the cancels; I apply the cancels with some mush macros, killing off the
spams. I don't mind that too badly.

As others have said, c.u.s.m is fairly clean of the sorts of garbage
most newsgroups have to put up with. The solution is to overwhelm the
garbage with useful posts. ;-}

Spam will eventually go away when the idiots learn that there is no
money to be made. Or perhaps when someone goes postal and wipes out a
few spammers.

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year! Now in St.
Petersburg, Russia. Next week: Helsinki, then -- we don't know! Stories,