sco logo, little history

1 view

lallous

Jul 28, 2003, 11:00:41 AM7/28/03
Hello,

I like SCO's logo, I wonder what is its original / the cause of it being chosen.

Regards,
Elias

Whoever

Jul 28, 2003, 2:53:13 PM7/28/03
On 28 Jul 2003, lallous wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like SCO's logo, I wonder what is its original / the cause of it being chosen.

I think you will find it is a rip-off of the "Lone Cypress" -- a dead
trademark last owned by the "Pebble Beach Company"

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 29, 2003, 2:29:52 AM7/29/03

Try again. There is a wind blown cypress tree slightly up the coast
from where Woodrow hits the coast in Santa Cruz (halfway between
Natural Bridges and the lighthouse) which provides the original model
for the logo. Here's a current photo of the tree.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=6577&mode=sequential&flags=0
which still vaguely resembles the one in the logo. The tree got
undermined and was "reinforced" (same as the one on 17 mile drive).
The original logo included the small bay to the right of the tree,
ocean, and sky. SCO has been using it since 1979. Whether you will be
sued for borrowing the tree and using it in open source software is an
open question.

# je...@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# 831.421.6491 digital_pager je...@cruzio.com AE6KS