rs505a, Media File, error

Ronald Black

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
I have a simple problem.

I need to install the Y2k patches rs505a and oss600a. I have downloaded
the supplements and attempted the install.

I receive an error when attempting the install via scoadmin software:

Scan of archive failed
Error opening archive "/u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
Test of archive format failed
Can't access file "//u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
No such file or directory

I cannot find reference to this anywhere on the SCO site.

Can someone give me a clue how to quickly obtain the answer to my silly
problem??

RLBlack1.vcf

Deepak Thadani

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
to RLBl...@worldnet.att.net
Try getting the media again. I've had that happen a few times
with bad media...download it from SCO's website directly.
ftp://ftp.sco.com/Supplements/

Deepak

Ronald Black

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
Correct. I am typing the directory name only, such as:
/tmp

I've tried many permissions and ownerships, for example:
rw-rw-rw root sys
rwxrwxrwx root sys

The additional curiosity is the error message includes extra slashes in
it's message, so I've tried:
/tmp
tmp

and other combinations, different directories, etc....same failure

Ron

(and I'm a 20 year veteran SCO Unix (Xenix) system manager...so this is
doubly frustrating.)

Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

> Ronald Black opined (on Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:50:22PM -0800):

> | I have a simple problem.
> |
> | I need to install the Y2k patches rs505a and oss600a. I have downloaded
> | the supplements and attempted the install.
> |
> | I receive an error when attempting the install via scoadmin software:
> |

> | Scan of archive failed
> | Error opening archive "/u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
> | Test of archive format failed
> | Can't access file "//u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
> | No such file or directory
>

> If you're installing from media images, you provide a *directory name*
> where VOL.xxx.yyy exist. You do NOT type in .../VOL.amything in the
> custom dialog.
>
> And what are the permissions of the VOL files?
>
> --
> JP

RLBlack1.vcf

Ronald Black

Dec 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/17/99
Yes, I've done that, through several different methods and accesses.
Same exact files are downloaded.
RLBlack1.vcf

Jean-Pierre Radley

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99

Pat Welch

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99

How were the files downloaded? Direct to the Unix box or via a Windows
machine?

If the later, how did you get it over to the SCO machine?

What did the file save as? Did the name get forced with a .html
extension?

Did you check the results of running sum against the file after it was
downloaded, comparing with what SCO listed as the value?

Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
SCO Authorized Reseller
Unix/Hardware/BB Sales & Support
Year 2000: Consulting and Repairs
*** 14 Days left 'til 1/1/2000 **
(209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

Ronald Black

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Good thoughts, but, been there, done that!

I download via the web, ftp to my windows desktop, then binary ftp to
the SCO machine. File names are saved as the original, no added
extensions.

I did not do a running sum check, only verifed file size.

Thanks, will try asap....

Ron

RLBlack1.vcf

Ronald Black

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Duh, oh duh, oh duh!

The VOL* file names were changed in the Windows download:

VOL_000.000 instead of VOL.000.000
VOL_001.000 instead of VOL.001.000

Thanks, anyway, everyone!

Have a happy season...

Ron

Ronald Black wrote:

> I have a simple problem.
>
> I need to install the Y2k patches rs505a and oss600a. I have downloaded
> the supplements and attempted the install.
>
> I receive an error when attempting the install via scoadmin software:
>
> Scan of archive failed
> Error opening archive "/u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
> Test of archive format failed
> Can't access file "//u1/sco/rs505a/VOL.000.000"
> No such file or directory

RLBlack1.vcf

Brian K. White

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Ronald Black wrote:

> Good thoughts, but, been there, done that!
>
> I download via the web, ftp to my windows desktop, then binary ftp to
> the SCO machine. File names are saved as the original, no added
> extensions.
>
> I did not do a running sum check, only verifed file size.
>
> Thanks, will try asap....

do they now have execute perms set? they should not, but generally all files
on a dos/win filesystem, be it a dos floppy or a networked w98 box, are viewed
as having execute bits set because there is no such flag in FAT/FAT32/MS-DOS
and it either has to be assumed on or off. (you could use options to the mount
command to change this in the case of actually mounting a FS like a floppy or
CD)

It's about the same as the way all files copied from a CD to a DOS machine
come over with their read-only bit set, even though once off the CD that no
longer applies.

> Ron
>
> Pat Welch wrote:
> >

> > How were the files downloaded? Direct to the Unix box or via a Windows
> > machine?
> >
> > If the later, how did you get it over to the SCO machine?
> >
> > What did the file save as? Did the name get forced with a .html
> > extension?
> >
> > Did you check the results of running sum against the file after it was
> > downloaded, comparing with what SCO listed as the value?
> >
> > --
> > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
> > SCO Authorized Reseller
> > Unix/Hardware/BB Sales & Support