USB card for SCO OSR

Ray

Dec 18, 2002, 9:27:35 PM12/18/02
I have a Dell Server with USB ports on the motherboard. My software:
SCO OSR 5.0.6, unfortunately, does not support it. Can anyone steer me
to a PCI USB card that is supported.
Thanks,

Jean-Pierre Radley

Dec 19, 2002, 10:50:32 AM12/19/02
to ScoMisc [c.u.s.m]
Ray typed (on Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:27:35AM +0000):

| I have a Dell Server with USB ports on the motherboard. My software:
| SCO OSR 5.0.6, unfortunately, does not support it. Can anyone steer me
| to a PCI USB card that is supported.

If you install rs506a (and it's practically mandatory), then USB hubs,
keyboards, mice, and storage devices are supported.

--
JP

Stephen M. Dunn

Dec 19, 2002, 11:11:37 AM12/19/02
In article <20021219155...@jpradley.jpr.com> Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> writes:
$If you install rs506a (and it's practically mandatory), then USB hubs,
$keyboards, mice, and storage devices are supported.

It's been a while since I've looked at it, but I think rs506a only
adds support for a couple of USB chipsets, meaning that if your equipment
doesn't use one of those chipsets, you don't get USB support. 5.0.6
with rs506a on the one machine where I tried to add USB support (just
for fun - fortunately, I didn't need USB) was unable to find any USB
hardware.
--
Stephen M. Dunn <ste...@stevedunn.ca>

Bela Lubkin

Dec 19, 2002, 7:36:33 PM12/19/02
to ScoMisc [c.u.s.m]
Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

The USB implementation in rs50a only supports one of three USB chipset
standards. The implementation in OSR507 will support all three.
(Before you ask, there are currently no plans to backport the 507
implementation to 506. It depends on significant changes in kernel
infrastructure.)

To see which USB controllers you have, run:

hw -r pci | awk 'BEGIN{RS=""}/ClassCode:.*0x0c03/'

The possibilities are:

Supported by...
ClassCode USB standard HCI standard Speed rs506a OSR507
========= ============ ================ ======= ====== ======
0x0c0300 USB 1.x UHCI "Universal" 12Mbps X X
0x0c0310 USB 1.x OHCI "Open" 12Mbps X
0x0c0320 USB 2.0 EHCI "Enhanced" 480Mbps X

Many systems that have USB will have more than one HCI (Host Controller
Interface -- the chip that talks to the USB ports). All systems that
have USB 2.0 will have EHCI plus at least one of OHCI or UHCI. USB 2.0
HCIs only talk to USB 2.0 devices, they require a USB 1.x companion
controller (UHCI or OHCI) to talk to any USB 1.x devices.

Ray, if you need access to USB devices on OpenServer 5.0.6 you must find
a USB controller card with a UHCI chipset. I don't know of specific
cards, but they do exist. Look for "UHCI" or "Universal Host Controller
Interface" mentioned on the box.

>Bela<

Ray

Dec 19, 2002, 11:04:16 PM12/19/02
Yes, but only if the usb port supports a cetain Intel standard. Mine
does not.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:50:32 GMT, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com>