sdb,xdb: breakpoint on variables?

Philip Abraham

Oct 24, 1994, 4:20:23 AM10/24/94
Is there a way in sdb or xdb to set up a breakpoint on a variable?
Execution should stop when that variable has been altered or
accessed (dereferenced). The man page (hp-ux 9.0) does
not specify any way to do this.
email preferred please. I will post summary.
Thank you in advance.

--
Philip Abraham BNR, Richardson, Texas
ab...@bnr.ca

Paul Stephen Borile

Oct 25, 1994, 2:07:29 PM10/25/94
ab...@bnr.ca (Philip Abraham) writes:

>Is there a way in sdb or xdb to set up a breakpoint on a variable?
>Execution should stop when that variable has been altered or
>accessed (dereferenced). The man page (hp-ux 9.0) does
>not specify any way to do this.
>email preferred please. I will post summary.
>Thank you in advance.

I think that dbx has "trace" and "when" commands which act on program
variables or at least my dbx has them.
Paul-
Paul Stephen Borile - email pa...@cusun.sublink.org, pa...@sixcom.it
C.U. S.r.l - Office : +39 2 551-80-922 - Fax : +39 2 551-94-046
Via Sigieri, 10 Milan Italy

Chris Donawa

Oct 26, 1994, 12:53:49 PM10/26/94
Paul Stephen Borile (pa...@sixcom.it) wrote:
: ab...@bnr.ca (Philip Abraham) writes:

gdb also has a watch command. However, all these options are
increadibly slow. If you have the cash, I highly recommend purify.
All in all an excellent tool, and includes in it's many capabilities
efficient watchpoints.
You can reach them at:
sup...@pure.com or (408) 720 1600
In Europe:
sup...@europe.pure.com or (+1) (408) 720 1600

--Chris Donawa

--
These are my personal opinions and may not reflect those of my employer.

Christopher M. Donawa don...@bnr.ca
Embedded Systems Technologies (613) 763-9605
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa ON CANADA fax:(613) 763-7241