macosx 11 shared libraries.

Siri Cruise

Mar 19, 2021, 5:45:49 AM3/19/21
Does Apple have a list of clear, consistent rules for how to use
shared libraries on macosx 11? Builds that work fine on macosx 10
break in new and surprising ways on macosx 11.

One of the things I do is
-install_name @executable_path/lib/library.dylib
When building intertwined packages, the libraries are out of
place but macosx 10 can still find them with DYLD...whatever.
macosx 11 apparently refuses to look anywhere else if it sees an
install_name. Or maybe not. Absent documentation I've only got
guesses.

I just wasted a day learning that when autotrace does -L./.libs
-lautotrace , macosx 11 pukes all over core. So I have to mung
the makefile to do .libs/libautotrace.a . And I have to find
where in the makefile. And I have to ballgag ed to mung the file.
Then give up on ed and have tclsh do the edit.

And various other crap. So does Apple explain how to avoid these?
Or do I have to step in each one to find it?

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\