Linux memory barriers API

MrSpoo...@hszpo62mi.com

Jun 17, 2021, 4:53:27 AM6/17/21
The Linux memory barrier API which includes the mb(), wmb() etc functions
should be in /usr/include/asm/system.h but on my Debian install there's
no sign of them. Does this API need to be installed seperately or has it been
replaced by something else?

Rainer Weikusat

Jun 17, 2021, 10:33:21 AM6/17/21
The kernel include file defining these is called barrier.h But that's
an internal kernel header and not part of any API.

MrSpoo...@81nmly1p0vxrc.net

Jun 17, 2021, 10:35:27 AM6/17/21
Ok, thanks. Thats a shame, obviously I misunderstood, I thought it was a
userspace API.

Scott Lurndal

Jun 17, 2021, 11:35:00 AM6/17/21
Why not use the standard gcc extensions?

The kernel functions were never intended to be used by anything other
than the kernel.

MrSpook_...@4dg.tv

Jun 17, 2021, 11:53:18 AM6/17/21
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:34:56 GMT
sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
>MrSpoo...@hszpo62mi.com writes:
>>The Linux memory barrier API which includes the mb(), wmb() etc functions
>>should be in /usr/include/asm/system.h but on my Debian install there's
>>no sign of them. Does this API need to be installed seperately or has it been
>>replaced by something else?
>
>Why not use the standard gcc extensions?

I didn't know there were any.