Source to R. Stevens Unix netowrk programming

Robert Sprawls

Sep 3, 2001, 10:35:41 PM9/3/01
Hello,
The site listed in the preface exists, but the archive does
not. Does anyone know where I can find it?

FxM

Sep 3, 2001, 11:45:18 PM9/3/01
W. Richard Stevens' Home Page
http://www.kohala.com/start/
I was able to download the sources from their.
FM.

Robert Sprawls <rspr...@tacdyn.com> wrote in message

John Doherty

Sep 4, 2001, 12:35:07 PM9/4/01

> The site listed in the preface exists, but the archive does
> not. Does anyone know where I can find it?

<ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/published/books/stevens.netprog.tar.Z>.

Oleg Goldshmidt

Sep 5, 2001, 2:50:37 AM9/5/01
"FxM" <mastro...@netcarrier.com> writes:

> W. Richard Stevens' Home Page
> http://www.kohala.com/start/

Incidentally, does anyone know whether the sources (or trivial parts
of them, such as Stevens' system call wrappers) can be used in
commercial software without violating copyrights? What's the license
on this stuff?

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | ogold...@NOSPAM.computer.org
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."

David Schwartz

Sep 5, 2001, 3:25:15 AM9/5/01
Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> Incidentally, does anyone know whether the sources (or trivial parts
> of them, such as Stevens' system call wrappers) can be used in
> commercial software without violating copyrights? What's the license
> on this stuff?

I asked my IP lawyer this question awhile ago and her answer was
basically that nobody knows. One can argue that if you buy the book, you
buy a license to use the knowledge in it, which arguably includes the
examples. She was unable to find an actual case.

DS

Rich Teer

Sep 5, 2001, 11:42:27 AM9/5/01
On 5 Sep 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> Incidentally, does anyone know whether the sources (or trivial parts
> of them, such as Stevens' system call wrappers) can be used in
> commercial software without violating copyrights? What's the license
> on this stuff?

A lot of the source code in Rich's books was derived from BSD, which
is covered under the BSD license (free for any use, and none of that
"you MUST publish the source of derived works" GPL crap). My guess
would be that you'd be free to use it, but I'd be inclined to check
with the publisher if you're really concerned.

Prentice Hall published UNP; Addison Wesley published his other books.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Thomas Dickey

Sep 5, 2001, 12:27:31 PM9/5/01
Rich Teer <ri...@rite-group.com> wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

>> Incidentally, does anyone know whether the sources (or trivial parts
>> of them, such as Stevens' system call wrappers) can be used in
>> commercial software without violating copyrights? What's the license
>> on this stuff?

> A lot of the source code in Rich's books was derived from BSD, which
> is covered under the BSD license (free for any use, and none of that
> "you MUST publish the source of derived works" GPL crap). My guess
> would be that you'd be free to use it, but I'd be inclined to check
> with the publisher if you're really concerned.

neither the book nor the code mention copyright terms, other than a
borrowed BSD atexit (the only recourse is to ask the publisher).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dic...@radix.net> <dic...@herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com

Heikki Vatiainen

Sep 23, 2001, 9:59:32 AM9/23/01
Oleg Goldshmidt <ogold...@NOSPAM.computer.org> writes:

> Incidentally, does anyone know whether the sources (or trivial parts
> of them, such as Stevens' system call wrappers) can be used in
> commercial software without violating copyrights? What's the license
> on this stuff?

I was thinking about the same thing in May 1998 so I asked Mr. Stevens
about the copying policy. The question was about sources in UNIX
network programming -- 2nd edition and especially about the writen
function in Figure 3.15, page 78.

I noted in my mail that the copyright notice on page ii seems to
indicate that the source cannot just be used without explicit
permission but if he could still clarify if this also applies to
source code. The copyright notice on page ii reads:

No part of this book may be reproduced, in any form or by any
means, without permission in writing from the publisher.

The answer to my query from Richard was:

The publisher does indeed hold the copyright and they want to
approve each use of code from the book. So I have cc'ed my editor
at P-H and she will get back to you.

The reply from the editor was:

You have Prentice Hall's permission to use this code snippet as long
as you cite your source, do not use this for commercial purposes,
and have read and understand the disclaimer in the book. The
software is provided on as "as is" basis and without warranty of any
kind, expressed or implied, including without limitation any
warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In
no event shall the author or Prentice Hall be liable for any
damanges of any kind as is stated in the disclaimer.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

If someone needs the mail address of the said editor on P-H, please
let me now.

--
Heikki Vatiainen * he...@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology * Tampere, Finland